• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

considering Leupold Yosemites... (1 Viewer)

nctexasbirder

young birder
since i am a small frame i like small, lightweight binos,...the Yosemites might be the perfect bino for my size and budget. i have some 10x50s that can be used as backups but most of my birding is backyard passerines so the 6x might not be bad at all...as i havent moved into the hawk, shorebird and waterfowl arena yet...are the yosemites fogproof? this is the only question since winter is coming..eagle optics says they are though. they might be the perfect bino for watching warblers and sparrows because of the FOV. i hope i can get these! :D

Yes, they are fog proof and water proof. They are a remarkably good little binocular: Very bright, very sharp, close focusing with a nice wide field, long eye relief and you can't beat the price! They are also very attractive and are built like a tank! They might be the best deal in the industry!

Go to Bird Forum's Equipment Reviews and check out their reviews in the medium and compact binocular section. Tell Eagle Optics to pick out a good one for you when you order it, that way you won't have to return it if it isn't up to par! Or better yet, go to a place that sells them, try out a number of them and buy the one you like best. Mine are Ivory colored, but the Red ones are also attractive.

Good birding,
Bob

Last edited:
nctexasbirder said:
.... the 6x might not be bad at all...as i havent moved into the hawk, shorebird and waterfowl arena yet...are the yosemites fogproof? ....

You are right that 6x has a natural advantage for backyard and woodland birding. But, I do almost all my birding with 7x bins and a scope, including shorebirds, waterfowl and hawks. So, don't think it is necessary to have high powered bins. Those of us who use low power see just as much bird as those with 10x bins. For us, the bird appears smaller, but also brighter, clearer and more stable. The power you choose (between 6x and 10x) is a matter of personal preference and aesthetics, not of seeing more.
I have read good reviews of the Yosemites. They are internally fogproof. It means however that the outer lenses might fog as you go from the indoors to the outdoors. This happens with all binoculars in winter. You just have to give them a few minutes to adjust to the cold or gently wipe the lens off with a clean soft cloth. Also, don't keep them inside your jacket where they can steam up again.

I have a pair of 6x30 in my drawer, and more on the way. It is the best $100 optics that you can buy; they will be suitable for shmuckvogels in the bush. Very bright, sharp, color true, contrasty image. Depth of field is so good that, unless you have a 2000 acre backyard, you will not need to use the focuser much.
If you add a decent scope to your toys, you're al set.

Luca,
I have a question about the Yosemites. What are the eye cups like? twist up? click stop? Is it possible to set them halfway between collapsed and extended?
Also, did they come with any rainguard?
Thanks,
Marc

jedku said:
Luca,
I have a question about the Yosemites. What are the eye cups like? twist up? click stop? Is it possible to set them halfway between collapsed and extended?
Also, did they come with any rainguard?
Thanks,
Marc
The eyecups are twist up and twist in. They work very well. There are no intermediate positions, but you may set them halfway and they are useable like that. However, if you push hard they twist in under pressure. I suppose that you will need to readjust the eyecups often if you want them halfway.
What i really like about the eyecups is their shape and size: they are not huge like the ones all too often found on new binoculars. They work very well with and without eyeglasses. The eycups are a bit tappered - cone shaped, almost the size and shape of those on the Ultravids, very comfortable on my eyesockets. The eyerelief figure advertised is real: it's long.
They do come with a well fitting and useful rainguard, the $6 sold by eagleoptics.com.
The objective covers are just the basic plastic caps, useful for protecting lenses when inside the unpadded faux leather case - which is pretty good and big enough so that you don't have to fiddle too much with it.
The neckstrap is soft and comfortable, some neoprene material.
It is a light, small, bright and sharp binocular, a good buy for $100.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back