• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

birds sense of smell (1 Viewer)

robby thai

This may have been covered before I havent looked through all the pages.

I know from experience that prey animals in particular have a well developed sense of smell used to detect danger. Many times i have been watching deer or other mammals and felt a waft of breeze on my neck and seen heads shoot up obviously smelling me.

But what about birds ? I know they have fantastic sight and if they couldnt hear they wouldnt call.
What I am thinking is just how much is my smell going to put off birds approaching when for instance I am sitting in a hide and indeed is there any smell I could use that would attract rather than repel birds ?

I started looking and found this :

http://www.audubon.org/magazine/january-february-2014/birds-can-smell-and-one-scientist

So birds can smell some better than others and some at least use smell when feeding but that doesnt answer my question of how much if any would the smell of my sweaty body effect my chances of seeing that bird of a lifetime.

Some birds have a very good sense of smell. Tubenoses have been known t be attracted from several miles away to a strong smell. Vultures are well known for gathering on people's houses after death.

This may have been covered before I havent looked through all the pages.

I know from experience that prey animals in particular have a well developed sense of smell used to detect danger. Many times i have been watching deer or other mammals and felt a waft of breeze on my neck and seen heads shoot up obviously smelling me.

But what about birds ? I know they have fantastic sight and if they couldnt hear they wouldnt call.
What I am thinking is just how much is my smell going to put off birds approaching when for instance I am sitting in a hide and indeed is there any smell I could use that would attract rather than repel birds ?

I started looking and found this :

http://www.audubon.org/magazine/january-february-2014/birds-can-smell-and-one-scientist

So birds can smell some better than others and some at least use smell when feeding but that doesnt answer my question of how much if any would the smell of my sweaty body effect my chances of seeing that bird of a lifetime.

A non-problem. Smell in the situation you describe is likely to have no effect at all, positive or negative, and I don't believe anyone has ever claimed otherwise.

Some birds have a very good sense of smell. Tubenoses have been known t be attracted from several miles away to a strong smell. Vultures are well known for gathering on people's houses after death.
Turkey Vultures, that is. Or has this behaviour also been reported in other species?

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back