• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

First butterfly of 2019 (1 Viewer)

Certainly been at least 3 around the Portland area + I think a couple at Dungeness.

There was an odd remark on the Portland website saying "..it must have been a substantial release of them as they're being reported right across the island now!". Anyone know if this is just a joke or anything more?

There was an odd remark on the Portland website saying "..it must have been a substantial release of them as they're being reported right across the island now!". Anyone know if this is just a joke or anything more?

I thought it was tongue in cheek - as already mentioned the appearances are from Cornwall to Dungeness right along the South Coast. Even BOURC would be unlikely to deny this is an immigration pattern!

John

Well the first 2 at Portland were discovered in that exceptional warm weather in Feb when there were plenty of Painted Ladies, numerous migrant moths + Vagrant Emperors turning up. Given almost all these Large Tortoiseshells are from migration hot spots I'm sure all (or most) are genuine.

Several Brimstones, a Small white + a Small Tortoiseshell while out earlier then around the garden 3 Small Whites, male Orange Tip, Holly Blue + a Peacock.

Finally seen my first- a male Brimstone at Kew Gardens.

Had my first two yesterday, weather is glorious here despite still having snow on the ground.

Saw the first Common Lizard today but no Adders.

It will be my last post from Russia as I move back to the UK on Sunday, the end of a wonderful chapter that has given me so much pleasure and I'll miss my patch incredibly.........:-C

Last edited:
Speckled Wood on 27th March,
Green-veined White on 7th April.

Still no Red Admiral. Guess that's most of the early butterflies out of the way.

Peacock and Small Tortoiseshell on the allotment yesterday lunchtime when the sun came out and it got quite warm (Alnwick, Northumberland)

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back