• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

First Butterflies 2024 (1 Viewer)

aeshna5

After an arctic blast last week with much ice & heavy frost, it's turned much milder since the weekend, if stormy at times.

Slightly surprised to see 2 Red Admirals about in Kew Gardens today, even though I know they can be seen in any month.

After an arctic blast last week with much ice & heavy frost, it's turned much milder since the weekend, if stormy at times.

Slightly surprised to see 2 Red Admirals about in Kew Gardens today, even though I know they can be seen in any month.
Had my first Brimstone of the year this morning in Northern Hampshire. Appeared to be fresh & bright so more like a hatchee than a hibernator

Had my first Brimstone of the year this morning in Northern Hampshire. Appeared to be fresh & bright so more like a hatchee than a hibernator
Are you sure there are hatchees at this time of the year? As far as I was aware, all Brimstones overwinter as adults, the only pupal stages being summer from +/- June through to early August.

Almost certainly hibernators. When they emerge July/August they usually feed up for a few days & usually go into dormancy, so thus many hibernating species often look fresh when they emerge in the spring (or late winter here).

Out for a few hours today. Warmest day of the year (?) - at any rate sunny and temp in double figures I believe, but still surprised to see both Peacock and Small Tortoiseshell.

The Peacock was flying around before landing and sunning on a fence panel, the Small Tort was at another location and I almost stepped on it. This was around late afternoon and it was struggling a bit in the shade (not so warm now) so I took it over to the other side of the industrial bit I was on and put it in the sun so it could then decide where to go.

The Peacock especially was looking fairly faded.

Had a Red Admiral fly past me this afternoon at the same location as the Peacock the other day. There's not much in flower at the moment out in the countryside, but presumably they'll find what there is ...

Reminder of this -

We're not far behind for the year.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back