• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

What does old world mean? (1 Viewer)

lvn600

What exactly is meant by the term Old World as in Old World Sparrows. I know that they are not technically sparrows but why the term Old World?

New World, because (allegedly!) no-one knew about it until 1492. Apart from the 100,000,000 people who lived there. And the Norse. And the Chinese. And possibly the Ancient Egyptians!

Yes, it's such a "crocky" distinction. Whenever I hear it, it conjures up the vision of my ancestors kind of stumbling around while groping their surroundings in the middle of the Mississippi Delta. After all, they must have been like Saul on the road to Tarsus, all of them with scales over their eyes, in limbo, until the genocidal Columbus mistakenly stumbled over Hispaniola, at which point, of course, my ancestors in their wonderment had the scales fall off of their eyes and fell to their knees while thankfully declaiming "We exist, We exist!"

cuckooroller said:
Yes, it's such a "crocky" distinction. Whenever I hear it, it conjures up the vision of my ancestors kind of stumbling around while groping their surroundings in the middle of the Mississippi Delta. After all, they must have been like Saul on the road to Tarsus, all of them with scales over their eyes, in limbo, until the genocidal Columbus mistakenly stumbled over Hispaniola, at which point, of course, my ancestors in their wonderment had the scales fall off of their eyes and fell to their knees while thankfully declaiming "We exist, We exist!"
:clap: I know you're being serious, Steve, but that's about the best summary I've ever read of the "discovery" of the "New World." :clap:

Offord said:
It's called 'New' becuase it was 'new' to Europeans at the time. Simple as that.

'New' to all the Europeans apart from St. Brendan, Basque fishermen, the Portuguese and Norse expeditions to North America, starting with Bjarni Herjolfsson in 986

It tends to be replaced by 'First World' nowadays (on the analogy of 'Third World') whereas Third World was just added to Old and New originally. I'm not sure if that's an advance, since the Third World used to mean just that, third in a series of cultural realms, but in comparison with First World - that sounds rather more competitive. And where's the 'Second World' - a phrase I've never heard used?

Clouseau said:
Ah! I can help! The 'Second World' was the term used in the West for countries under the 'grip' of Soviet Communism.

Of course. Thanks very much. You won't credit it but I've lain awake at nights puzzling over that one for years...nearly.

Clouseau said:
'New' to all the Europeans apart from St. Brendan, Basque fishermen, the Portuguese and Norse expeditions to North America, starting with Bjarni Herjolfsson in 986
........and the Scots. Henry Sinclair, Earl of Rosslyn reputedly sailed to Nova Scotia in 1398 with a small fleet supported by two Venetian brothers (Zeno) -as detailed in the Zeno Narrative. His grandson William Sinclair comissioned the building of Rosslyn Chapel which includes detailed stone carvings (circa 1446) of Maize which would otherwise have been unknown in Europe prior to the Columbus expedition of 1492.

Steve G said:
........and the Scots. Henry Sinclair, Earl of Rosslyn reputedly sailed to Nova Scotia in 1398 with a small fleet supported by two Venetian brothers (Zeno) -as detailed in the Zeno Narrative. His grandson William Sinclair comissioned the building of Rosslyn Chapel which includes detailed stone carvings (circa 1446) of Maize which would otherwise have been unknown in Europe prior to the Columbus expedition of 1492.

Mmmmmm! Rosslyn Chapel? Rennes le Chateau etc! LOL!

My dear Inspector we are not talking of spurious parchments but rather sweetcorn set in stone. Come to Rosslyn & see it for yourself........then ask yourself "Who does the Grail serve?" ;)

lvn600 said:
What exactly is meant by the term Old World as in Old World Sparrows. I know that they are not technically sparrows but why the term Old World?

Old World Sparrows are the true Sparrows (Passeridae) after which new World Sparrows are named. New World Sparrows are related to Old World Buntings (Emberizidae) while New World Buntings appear to be mainly Cardinals (Cardinalidae).

David

"New World"

Clouseau said:
New World, because (allegedly!) no-one knew about it until 1492. Apart from the 100,000,000 people who lived there. And the Norse. And the Chinese. And possibly the Ancient Egyptians!

We Celts reckon that St Brendan crossed the north Atlantic, too, before the Norse. There's also a theory that he returned to Europe via the Canary Islands.
(Yes, I should read the whole thread before replying, but please excuse me, as I'm a new boy!)
Allen

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back