• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Unbirded localities of the world (1 Viewer)

Paramo del Duende on the Chocò-Valle del Cauca border in Colombia is an isolated, barely-explored paramo in a part of the world that has quite a few very range-restricted endemics - perhaps an undescribed tapaculo or hummingbird lurks there? Also the upper elevations of the San Lucas mountains in Colombia remain unexplored by ornithologists as far as I know, but major safety issues remain there.

Paramo del Duende on the Chocò-Valle del Cauca border in Colombia is an isolated, barely-explored paramo in a part of the world that has quite a few very range-restricted endemics - perhaps an undescribed tapaculo or hummingbird lurks there? Also the upper elevations of the San Lucas mountains in Colombia remain unexplored by ornithologists as far as I know, but major safety issues remain there.
Is that the area from which the Narino Cat was recently described?

Parts of the Philippines are possibly holding new birds. Until the site was visited for the first time in a long time, in 2003, Isabela Oriole hadn't been seen for years and there's been a new Rail and a Parrotfinch discovered in the last twenty years.

There might be something on North Sentinel (Andamans), but we will hopefully never know!

There are plenty of places in Peru that receive little attention (look at all those outlying ridges): something less obvious than a barbet could easily hide there.
Or at the very least yet more Herpsilochmus antwrens...
Why "hopefully"?

Why "hopefully"?
Because the inhabitants are, while not exactly uncontacted, not willing to open up to the outside world and aggressively repel any attempts at contact. They want privacy and that's what they should get.

For what it's worth, I highly doubt anything interesting bird-wise is lurking there. There's not much in the way of elevation and I suspect anything large (like maybe Narcondam Hornbill) has long been hunted to extinction.

I don't suppose there would be anything new to science there, but how interesting would some of the shootier bits of Dagestan be, birding-wise? There can't be too many birders wandering around the foothills of the range of mountains between Dagestan and Georgia/Azerbaijan...

Jammu and Kashmir, plus Pakistan-administered Kashmir, must have been fairly well covered during the British era - are there any/many local birders or birding tours that go there?

After reading the start of this thread I Googled how many species of bird are believed still to be found. There seems to be various estimates for mammals, fish, plants etc but I couldn't find a figure solely for birds albeit I only gave it c5 minutes. Has anybody seen any figures anywhere?

Because the inhabitants are, while not exactly uncontacted, not willing to open up to the outside world and aggressively repel any attempts at contact. They want privacy and that's what they should get.
I feel the same way, maybe I should make a few spears and declare myself North Sentinalese.

Jammu and Kashmir, plus Pakistan-administered Kashmir, must have been fairly well covered during the British era - are there any/many local birders or birding tours that go there?
The short answer is yes, to varying degrees depending on which part of Kashmir. There are quite a lot of local birders on the Indian side of the line of control, fewer on the Pakistan side. However, so much of the region is difficult to access for either topographic or political reasons, there could be the odd surprise or two. In particular, Sillem's Rosefinch must surely still be present in the Aksai Chin area.

Depends on who you ask, there certainly has been wide support for recognizing it. See this paper:

As far as I know no birder has ever reached the high reaches of the Whiteman Mountains in New Britain, I tried in 1993 but failed.
I don't think anyone has been into the Fakfak mountains since my trip in 1992.
Jared Diamond visited the Kumawa Mountains, but no birders since that I have heard of.
Other ranges with potential new taxa are Tamrau Mountains, Wondiwoi Mountains and Van Rees Mountains.
Someone must have birded to the top of the Cyclops mountains? but I've not heard about it. The base of these mountains easily accessible, but they are very steep and apparently trackless?
Do you know of any trips made to the Ayau or Asia Islands? They seem remote enough to have an endemic White-eye. But maybe the forest there is basically just coconut groves?

I don't suppose there would be anything new to science there, but how interesting would some of the shootier bits of Dagestan be, birding-wise? There can't be too many birders wandering around the foothills of the range of mountains between Dagestan and Georgia/Azerbaijan...

Fairly well birded, obviously not in comparison with, say, the Rio Grande Valley, Spurn, or the Singapore Botanical Gardens... but a fair number of people get there. Not all valleys get birded regularly and, for instance, Long-billed Bush-Warbler was only recently found breeding and reliably / repeatedly documented. But people are getting there, even this schlocky low-lister ;)

Do you know of any trips made to the Ayau or Asia Islands? They seem remote enough to have an endemic White-eye. But maybe the forest there is basically just coconut groves?
Afraid not, many islands between Raja Empat and Halmahera could hold undescribed taxa, but mostly low lying. i do not know if anyone has visited since the early collectors.

Last edited:
As far as I know no birder has ever reached the high reaches of the Whiteman Mountains in New Britain, I tried in 1993 but failed.
Jared Diamond visited the Kumawa Mountains, but no birders since that I have heard of.
Other ranges with potential new taxa are Tamrau Mountains, Wondiwoi Mountains and Van Rees Mountains.
Someone must have birded to the top of the Cyclops mountains? but I've not heard about it. The base of these mountains easily accessible, but they are very steep and apparently trackless?

Reading this thread makes me wish I was a millionaire (or is that considered "bankrupt" these days!!), so I could explore all these insane places. There's so much out there that needs attention!

Reading this thread makes me wish I was a millionaire (or is that considered "bankrupt" these days!!), so I could explore all these insane places. There's so much out there that needs attention!
Yeah, I know! I’d love the opportunity.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back