• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Joint Thread (1 Viewer)

Love that lesser scaup, though you can't ue head colur as a sure id, lessers do tend to be more purple than greaters, but of course, very very variable.
Great attitude on those gulls, the way their eyes stand out is just great.

Here is another quick sketch I did yesterday, when I was out gull watching.

It is of 2 California Gulls.

Hi bird brain,
thats a great sketch of the california gull, lovely use of shading in it, and it's great to see another young birder in the bf ranks, especially one who does art!:t:
cheers

Thanks to everyone for your kind words.

Where is everyone's art? I haven't seen a lot of artwork, other than Peters (the scaup is really amazing!!!) lately. Get drawing!;)

Here is a Common Yellowthroat I just finished. I am still working out the bumps in watercolor, so my paintings aren't that great. This one looks too flat and 2D, but besides that I was a little happy with it.

Attachments

• birddrawing012.jpg
    birddrawing012.jpg
    105.6 KB · Views: 74
Some nice work there Josh, the gulls are particularly appealing.

The yellowthroat has a great posture and the colours are vibrant. You're right though when you say it perhaps looks a little flat. The form of any object is best described by tone to indicate shadow and light. Next time you are observing birds, particularly in the sun, look closely at how the light affects colour. The strong light will 'burn out' colour and the shade will deepen colours. By adding tone to a painting you're able to indicate form as well as shape, just as you've started to do with the pencil drawing of the gulls. A little practice and, above all, observation is all you need.
If you're stuck indoors you could try an exercise which my tutor set me; Take a ball, a box, and a cardboard tube, put them on a table with a strong light source to one side.Then paint them in black and shades of grey without using any lines.

You obviously have a talent for this and your enthusiasm is showing through so keep it up!

BTW, I think many people are posting work to their own threads lately.

Mike

I agree with Mike about the yellowthroat, all you need to do is put in some paler and darker areas and it will be wonderful, you've already got an excellent posture, a very strong composition and fantastic vibrant colours.

I do agree with Nick and Mike - but I also think it's a really strong image as it is. Definitely take their advice and suggestions - but do so on another drawing.
This one I'd leave as it is.

Thanks to everyone for your kind words.

Where is everyone's art? I haven't seen a lot of artwork, other than Peters (the scaup is really amazing!!!) lately. Get drawing!;)

Here is a Common Yellowthroat I just finished. I am still working out the bumps in watercolor, so my paintings aren't that great. This one looks too flat and 2D, but besides that I was a little happy with it.

Fantastic artwork everyone!

I'm afraid I am a bit stuck on a half finished pastel of some snow and lapland buntings. Slowly filling it in though, so hopefully wont be much longer.

Birdbrain - I agree with everyone else about your painting. It is a fantastic pose, with strong accurate color and a wonderful idea, it just needs some value changes on the reed and the bird to create some roundness. If you look at anything there is always some sort of gradiation from light to dark. Nothing stays the same color or value over a period of distance or shape. Hope that helps and I really like your work and look forward to seeing more. The gulls are wonderful!!!

A wood duck today... one of my favorite birds. They're even colorful with an overcast light!

Attachments

• Wood Duck.jpg
    Wood Duck.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 98
Peter that water is so FLUID! Wonderful. Catching up with some of the new work here this evening- not seen everything yet but as usual all is inspiring.
Had lots to do and I'm teaching myself to oil paint which is rather a tall order so haven't been painting enough wildlife but have been out and about abit. I went to a kite feeding station last week and got some great photos. The next trick is to put them in my landscapes!
These are done from photos- the first two are watercolour pencils which I am not keen on as I can never get the darks dark enough and the other two watercolour with some white gouache to make some alterations- very useful white paint although it can be brought out too often;)

Looks like there's something wrong with that last head???

Attachments

• kite2.jpg
    kite2.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 78
  • kite3.jpg
    kite3.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 82
  • kite1.jpg
    kite1.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 81
Last edited:
Oh yes, Wendy! Just great - and, as you say, pop the last one above a slatey valley with hanging oaks and you've got yourself an absolute winner.
Actually, the pencil pieces are very nice too - perhaps a tighter surface to work on could help (I don't know - the last colour pencil work I did was a dot to dot).

Josh, Mike, Nick and Tim give good advice. I would also suggest taking a look at their threads closely...especially Mr. Wooton's. Looking at the process on how they add color is very helpful.
As for adding any pictures, I haven't a digital camera right now that works so I haven't been posting anything lately. Some day soon.
Peter, good god man, I would tell you to just stop, but then I don't know what we would do without you.
Wendy, the pencil pieces are nice, but I understand about not being able to get them dark enough. Is it the size beak on the last one that is making the head look a little off? hmmmmm. Really lovely nonetheless.

Thanks for the advice.
I know I need to shade and I am really good at pencil drawings, but I need help on the technique to shade and show values. I had a cheap set of acrylic a while ago and turned out a great painting of a Pronghorn Antelope, but I can't seem to get the technique with watercolors. Also I think that part of it is that my watercolors aren't the best out there.

For now I will post my pencil drawings, and silently work on my painting skills(or lack there of)

Great Wood Duck! I just saw my first WODU for the year last weekend. They are beautiful birds.

Really nice Kite! I wish I was as good at watercolor.

I think its always a good idea to buy the best quality art materials even if you don't have alot of experience. You can't get a full understanding of any media unless you buy the best- good luck- enjoy :t:

Peter, the Wood Duck is pure class and unashamedly ornate - both in the bird and the water.

Wendy, WOW, you've excelled yourself at these, the one picking at its talons is immensely good, and also there isa wonderful sense of substance in these birds, I find kites almost impossible to paint, they don't seem to work with my techniques. If you think the head on the last one looks a bit weird, perhaps it is a bit too high up, follow a line along the contours of the body and see - of course, kites can twist theselves into some amazing shapes so I may be talking nonsense.

As for buying the best equipment, if you can afford it, get it, if not don't make sacrifices with brushes, they're the most important. On my paltry allowance (they can't legally call such a pittance a salary) I have to make do with cheap paper and student quality paint, but couldn't paint with crap brushes.

Oh? - You used up all the premium St Cuthbert's Mill watercolour paper, that you won at the SWLA in recognition of you being perhaps THE finest young painter kicking around today then? ;)

still waiting for my parents to bring it over in April, but it's there and waiting, it was so nice to just touch Saunders, it's been so long!! Mostly painting on fabriano drawing paper at the moment.

still waiting for my parents to bring it over in April, but it's there and waiting, it was so nice to just touch Saunders, it's been so long!! Mostly painting on fabriano drawing paper at the moment.
Just what my kids always say - "Y'know dad - you just CAN'T get the parents, thesedays!"
Suggest they send at least a couple of sheets - just for the feel of them?

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back