• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nikon 8x32 SE vs. 10x42 SE... (1 Viewer)

Donzo98

Hello Everyone...

Just wondering... for those of you have used or own both of these bins... which do you prefer and why???

Thanks, Don

Donzo98 said:
Hello Everyone...

Just wondering... for those of you have used or own both of these bins... which do you prefer and why???

Thanks, Don

Hi Don,

I've used the 8x32SE a few times. I own a 10x42SE and 12x50SE. I like the 8x32SE. I haven't bought one because I have other 8x binoculars. I purchased the 10x42SE because I wanted a fine, light weight 10x binocular with very good eye relief. It is all that.

The 8x32SE is easy on my neck (light weight). It has a plenty bright image in the daytime. It balances very well. It fits my hands well. It's a very nice binocular.

Rich

Last edited:
Hi Rich,
How does the Nikon 10x42 SE compare to the Zeiss 10x42 FL for Astronomy?
Ive been using a pair of Carl Zeiss Jena 10x50 Dekarems for Astronomy,I think I need something better.
Steve.

Rich N said:
Hi Don,

I've used the 8x32SE a few times. I own a 10x42SE and 12x50SE. I like the 8x32SE. I haven't bought one because I have other 8x binoculars. I purchased the 10x42SE because I wanted a fine, light weight 10x binocular with very good eye relief. It is all that.

The 8x32SE is easy on my neck (light weight). It has a plenty bright image in the daytime. It balances very well. It fits my hands well. It's a very nice binocular.

Rich

I bought a 8x32SE tis spring and was very happy with it. The best bins I tried out were though Swift Audubon 8.5x44 ED, a lot cheaper as well. Resolution very similar but colour rendition and -seperation in a class by it self.
Unfortunately I did not like the feel of the synthetic rubber and could also notice that they would be very tiresome to hold in the long run,which goes for most binoculars. Also I heard some reports of not really being waterproof as advertised and some developing some mechanical problems. This is the other advantage of 8x 32SE: you can use them the whole day without tiring.
But if I was a big bloke with big hands I might have gone for the Swift!

Rich, by the way, I am thinking about also buying a 10x42SE, but is it worth it do you think and would you need exceptional steady hands to use them?
Best regards, Klaas

Donzo98 said:
Hello Everyone...

Thanks, Don

This is how I summed up my appreciation of SE bins in a previous thread:

I have the 10X42 SE. I love it for the wow factor when looking at birds close up. I love it for looking at distant birds. I love the 8x32SE more. While these two bins are more alike than different, I prefer the 8X32 for reasons of time and context. Context meaning that the 8X32 has much better depth of field and a much wider field. Time meaning that I can keep the 8x32 at my eyes for minutes at a time while looking at an interesting bird.

maitreya said:
This is how I summed up my appreciation of SE bins in a previous thread:

I have the 10X42 SE. I love it for the wow factor when looking at birds close up. I love it for looking at distant birds. I love the 8x32SE more. While these two bins are more alike than different, I prefer the 8X32 for reasons of time and context. Context meaning that the 8X32 has much better depth of field and a much wider field. Time meaning that I can keep the 8x32 at my eyes for minutes at a time while looking at an interesting bird.

A wonderful summary of the SE 8X32.

John

Steve Napier said:
Hi Rich,
How does the Nikon 10x42 SE compare to the Zeiss 10x42 FL for Astronomy?
Ive been using a pair of Carl Zeiss Jena 10x50 Dekarems for Astronomy,I think I need something better.
Steve.

Hi Steve,

I haven't done a side by side comparison between the Nikon and Zeiss 10x42s. I hadn't thought of doing it but the next time I'm out observing I'll do the comparison.

We have had pretty frustrating weather for astronomy lately. I was out last night. It looked great at sundown but shortly after (after I got my AP 155EDFS set up) the sky was clouded over. I guess I should have given it a try tonight (Sat) but I didn't like the way the clouds were moving. I also wanted to be up early tomorrow (Sun) to go on a birding field trip.

Clear skies,
Rich

kmuizelaar said:
Rich, by the way, I am thinking about also buying a 10x42SE, but is it worth it do you think and would you need exceptional steady hands to use them?
Best regards, Klaas

They aren't too difficult to hold steady. I hope you can try then before you buy. I know some people do find 10x binoculars a problem. I don't have exceptionally steady hands.

Rich

Optically SE is hard to beat. However contrary to many readers' comment, dust/debris/sand etc did sneak into the body and stay inside (My model : 10x42SE, #7922). I don't think I mistreated it during the past 2 years. I neither dropped it nor cleaned it with wet method as said in BVD. Moreover, when I press the eyepiece, it jiggles a little bit. Maybe Nikon ship B grade products to the Far East market?

On one occasion I did notice a thread inside the right eyepiece of a NIB 8x32 SE. My friend returned it to dealer immediately.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back