• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

ID tips for Blue Butterflies (1 Viewer)

Chapter 4: The Lysandra Blues: Chalk-hill Blue

I am going to work now on the Lysandra Blues as there are two common and widespread species in Europe. I start with the Chalk-hill Blue.

The Chalkhill Blue (Lysandra coridon)is a rather big Blue and it is found on calcareous soil. The male upperwing is a pale blue colour. It has chequered fringes and has a dark brown band on the border of the blue surface. The most characteristic ID tip is the pattern of the rear wings, which have small spots and brown edge band fringed with white. (pic 1)

The underside is quite characteristic but extremely variable. No problem in most of Eupope as only Adonis Blue is somehow similar. But here in Spain, where there are other similar species, the Lysandra species can be a nightmare. And that variation doesn't help at all.

As I said in a previous post about Common Blue, it is the position of the spots what tells you the Genus of a butterfly. And this is even more important with the Lysandra species. Never trust the size, the intensity or the faintness of the spots. That can be very deceiving.

I am posting a typical specimen of Chalk-hill Blue (pic 2) with the four basal spots in line and the spots forming an arch. There is a cell spot (sometimes even two) and usually a central spot inside a pear shaped white dot and a white area just below the orange lunules. But again, be careful about trusting those last two too much as ID tips (other butterflies have them too, as Brown Argus). Females look the same than the male on the underwing but the background colour tends to be darker brown. (pic 3)

Female upperwing is brown and also shows a diagnostic pattern on the lower hindwing. (pic 4)

Now, don't you think that female Chalk-hill Blue looks rather similar to Brown Argus, particularly on the underwing? Pay attention to the first 3 spots of the arch of the underwing. They are equidistant. Remember the already famous double offset spots of Brown Argus, which doesn't exist in Chalk-hill Blue. Plus Chalk-hill Blue is a large Blue while Brown Argus is very small (pic 5, for comparison)

Attachments

• 6600_Chalk-hill Blue upper.jpg
    6600_Chalk-hill Blue upper.jpg
    122.5 KB · Views: 55
  • 0749_Chalk-hill Blue male.jpg
    0749_Chalk-hill Blue male.jpg
    114.8 KB · Views: 86
  • 6002_fem ChalkHill under.jpg
    6002_fem ChalkHill under.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 69
  • 6058_fem ChalkHill upper.jpg
    6058_fem ChalkHill upper.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 59
  • 7842_Brown Argus.jpg
    7842_Brown Argus.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 79
Chapter 4: The Lysandra Blues: Adonis Blue

And now, the second of the Lysandra species that are common and widespread in Europe. It is Adonis Blue (Lysandra bellargus).

The male is distinctive: a biggish Blue butterfly with checkered fringes and an incredible bright sky blue on the upperwing (pic 1). Its blue is much brighter than any Chalk-hill Blue might have. It lacks the broad dark border of the Chalk-hill blue and the characteristic pattern on the upperwing. Some Adonis Blue specimens might have a hint of a pattern on the upper hind-wing but it is only a hint not bold as it is in Chalk-hill Bue.

About the underwing, that is another story. You know a Blue is a Lysandra if it has the cell spot, checkered fringes and an underwing pattern like the one I showed in my post about Chalk-hill Blue. But I don't know any reliable ID tip to separate Chalk-hill Blue and Adonis Blue only by the underwing. The truth is that when one is outside there butterflying, one doesn't usually have problems as these butterflies show both sides easily.

Also females of both species are usually unseparable in the wild but for one little extremely useful detail on the upperwing: the pale scales on the hindwings, between the orange dots and the fringe, are blue in a female Adonis Blue (pic 2), and white in a female Chalkhill Blue (pic 3).

Attachments

• 0016_male Adonis Blue.jpg
    0016_male Adonis Blue.jpg
    101.4 KB · Views: 55
  • 0142_Fem Adonis Blue.jpg
    0142_Fem Adonis Blue.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 50
  • 6058_fem Chalk-hill Blue.jpg
    6058_fem Chalk-hill Blue.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 48
Sorry guys but I am stuck with the Lysandra butterflies. I want to present Spanish Chalk-hill Blue (Lysandra albicans) and Provence Chalk-hill blue (Lysandra hispana) but I don't have decent pics to show those very tricky ones. I hope to find them during this summer so I think I will wait till the end of the summer to write their chapter, otherwise I don't think I will have this thread finished before the summer is over.

Anyway, those two are not the most interesting stuff as they are pretty local and with a restricted range.

Next chapter will be the Plebicula species. No problem with those ones.

Chapter 5: The Plebicula Blues: Turquoise Blue

Turquoise Blue (Plebicula dorylas) is very easy to ID due to the following ID tips:

1) No cell spot.

2) White fringes.

3) The orange lunules are small and they are not surrounded by black of any kind. That separates it inmediately from any Polyommatus or Lysandra.

4) To me, the most important feature, because no matter how faded the butterfly is, this cannot mislead you: look at the first 3 spots of the arch on the underwing. The first spot is away from the other two (pic 1). In Polyommatus and Lysandra, the 3 spots are at the same distance.

5) The male upperwing is a vivid turquoise blue (hence the name ;) ) and females are brown. Females are tricky but if you have a good view of the 3 spots, nothing else matters.

In the next posts I am going to compare Turquoise Blue with other Blues. I am sure you will see the difference easily.

Attachments

• 0684_dorylas.jpg
    0684_dorylas.jpg
    117.4 KB · Views: 52
Last edited:
Glad you find them useful, Dave! I think those are the real clues, I have mis-laveled many older photos because I didn't pay enough attention to those ID tips.

Learning from the mistakes I made in the past, I am going to compare Turquoise Blue with other blues it might be confused with.

The easiest mistake would be confusing it with Escher's Blue as both have white fringes and no cell spot. The best two clues are clearer when you have them side by side (pics 1 and 2). They have both also very similar upperwings being intense blue coloured with white fringes. Check these pics and you will see the difference too (pics 3 and 4).

Attachments

• 0684_dorylas.jpg
    0684_dorylas.jpg
    117.4 KB · Views: 44
  • 3848_Escher's Blue.jpg
    3848_Escher's Blue.jpg
    181 KB · Views: 47
  • 0188_dorylas.jpg
    0188_dorylas.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 46
  • Escher's Blue male up.jpg
    Escher's Blue male up.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 42
What do you think about it being Reverdin's Blue (Plebejus argyrognomon)? One of the key features of this species is the shape of the black lunules (v-shaped spots) on the underside hindwing....they are rounded or flat....whereas with Silver-studded Blue and indeed Idas Blue they are sagittate or more sharply pointed.

I find this trio extremely difficult, and my comments here may well be wrong - but, presuming I am actually identifying them correctly, I find the orange band on the front wing of Reverdin's is far broader and clearer than in Silver-studded, usually continuing to the apex. Additionally the white between the lines of black spots tends to be less prominent.

By the books, there is much overlap, but if you've been seeing many Silver-studded on the day or days before, Reverdin's often appears to be a tad larger, here at least.

Though the spots are relatively rounded, if the broad band holds out, I'm not entirely convinced the one in post 60 is Reverdin's. As said, may be wrong. Would welcome discussion on this point.

Last edited:
I find this trio extremely difficult, and my comments here may well be wrong - but, presuming I am actually identifying them correctly, I find the orange band on the front wing of Reverdin's is far broader and clearer than in Silver-studded, usually continuing to the apex. Additionally the white between the lines of black spots tends to be less prominent.

By the books, there is much overlap, but if you've been seeing many Silver-studded on the day or days before, Reverdin's often appears to be a tad larger, here at least.

Though the spots are relatively rounded, if the broad band holds out, I'm not entirely convinced the one in post 60 is Reverdin's. As said, may be wrong. Would welcome discussion on this point.

Jos, your comments are extremely valuable. What you are telling us is pure gold. Davebutterflyman already had mentioned to me the orange lunules extending to the forewing but I had not checked that yet (still too busy with Plebicula to start to work with Plebejus |:D| ) I checked now and it works!! At least in pics that I know for sure they should be Reverdin's.

Just for that feature, it shouldn't be confused with Silver-studded. Cristian's pic on post 60 enterely looks like Silver-studded to me now, which was in fact our first thought. It is the lack of the spine in the tibia which made me rule it out. I don't know why I cannot see it but it should be there.

And here is my biggest mistake. I had labelled the second pic as Turquoise Blue for two years without realising it was wrong. What did mislead me was the little orange lunules on the underside. I read in the books that it is a distinctive feature of TB and didn't pay attention to anything else.

Looking at them side by side I think it is clear the second Blue isn't a TB but a Lysandra of some kind. What enfuriates me is that I didn't take a pic of the upperside. I remember it was quite a vivid blue and assumed that was the confirmation of it being a TB. Silly me.

That second Blue was photographied in the Pyrenees (Huesca province) in August 2007. As far as I know the only Lysandra that can be found at that altitude is Chalk-hill Blue. I know they are very variable from one area to another in Spain. This is another prove of how confusing the Lysandra species can be here.

Attachments

• 0684_dorylas.jpg
    0684_dorylas.jpg
    117.4 KB · Views: 46
  • 0303_Lysandra sp.jpg
    0303_Lysandra sp.jpg
    145.5 KB · Views: 50
WOW, Gavia, this is extremely interesting!!! o:) I think you've solved a problem I had for a couple of months and was driving me crazy!!! I had a Mystery Blue and it might be a Turquoise Blue!!!

Shall I show it here or post it in Balkantrek's thread for discussion?

By the way, that ex-Turquoise Blue (;)) of yours is very confusing, hard to believe it is a Chalk-hill Blue!!! :eek!: I wonder if it can be something else... I'll check it myself! :t:

Last edited:
WOW, Gavia, this is extremely interesting!!! o:) I think you've solved a problem I had for a couple of months and was driving me crazy!!! I had a Mystery Blue and it might be a Turquoise Blue!!!

Shall I show it here or post it in Balkantrek's thread for discussion?

Better in Balkantrek's thread I would say. I think that is the best place to discuss all the unidentified Blues.

By the way, that ex-Turquoise Blue (;)) of yours is very confusing, hard to believe it is a Chalk-hill Blue!!! :eek!: I wonder if it can be something else... I'll check it myself! :t:

Perhaps I should post that one in Balkantrek's thread for discussion. I can hardly believe myself that it is a Chalk-hill Blue :-O I will do it right after we discuss your possible Turquoise Blue. :t:

Chapter 5: The Plebicula Blues: Nevada Blue

I am presenting Nevada Blue (Plebicula golgus) although it is a Spanish endemism. It is extremely similar to Turquoise Blue, but it is daintier. When you see it in real life, you can tell the difference. Fortunately, Turquoise Blue cannot be found in S Spain, so no confusion is possible. Nevada Blue lives only in Sierra Nevada and Sierra de la Sagra, in Granada province. It is endangered due to its small range. Such a pity.

And thanks to Marian for letting me use her beautiful pictures to illustrate this post :t:

Attachments

• DSCN6453_Nevada Blue.jpg
    DSCN6453_Nevada Blue.jpg
    165.4 KB · Views: 44
  • DSCN6462_Nevada Blue upper.jpg
    DSCN6462_Nevada Blue upper.jpg
    176.3 KB · Views: 33
Great thread Gavia (and others!) which I have just found. Obviously we don't have nearly so many problems identifying blue butterflies here in the UK as can be experienced elsewhere in Europe, but very interesting nonetheless and will be very useful when it comes to tracking down those mystery photographs that we bring back from more exotic countries!

Thank you.... Ray

Chapter 5: The Plebicula Blues: Mother-of-Pearl Blue

And finally, the last of the Plebicula species that can be found in Europe. It is Mother-of-Pearl Blue (Plebicula nivescens). The underwing is very similar to the one of Turquoise Blue. In fact, I don't know any reliable feature to separate them only by the underwing. But if you see its underwing and get to see the typical pattern of a Plebicula (pic 1), a glimpse of the upperwing is enough to know it is Mother-of-Pearl Blue: the upperwing is silvery grey (or Mother-of-Pearl colour ;) (pic 2) instead of bright turquoise blue.

And again, thanks to Marian for her pics. She is the Plebicula girl, no doubt about it

Attachments

• DSCN5939_Mother-of-Pearl.jpg
    DSCN5939_Mother-of-Pearl.jpg
    165.6 KB · Views: 40
  • L1210008_Mother-of-Pearl.jpg
    L1210008_Mother-of-Pearl.jpg
    133.5 KB · Views: 43
Going back to post #5 of this thread and the Brown Argus, here's an interesting one I've just found at Fosse Meadows, Leicestershire, UK.

The double spots (colon-shaped) are reduced to almost a single spot (same on both sides) making it almost impossible to see in the field. The orange lunules don't go too far along the upper forewing, also. The small size and rather aggressive territorial behaviour would suggest it's a male.

Attachments

• brown-argus-aug-8-2009-3.jpg
    brown-argus-aug-8-2009-3.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 50
Going back to post #5 of this thread and the Brown Argus, here's an interesting one I've just found at Fosse Meadows, Leicestershire, UK.

The double spots (colon-shaped) are reduced to almost a single spot (same on both sides) making it almost impossible to see in the field. The orange lunules don't go too far along the upper forewing, also. The small size and rather aggressive territorial behaviour would suggest it's a male.

Addey, I am extremely puzzled with that Brown Argus :brains:. Totally unusual. If I didn't know the pic was taken in the UK, I would say it is a Spanish Mountain Argus *going nuts*

Addey, I am extremely puzzled with that Brown Argus :brains:. Totally unusual. If I didn't know the pic was taken in the UK, I would say it is a Spanish Mountain Argus *going nuts*

And here it is from the other side to show that it's not just down to wear.

Attachments

• brown-argus-aug-8-2009-1.jpg
    brown-argus-aug-8-2009-1.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 45
Chapter 6: The Plebejus Blues

This a really tricky group. These are small blue butterflies with blue studs inside the black dots of the submarginal area. All the Plebejus species lack the cell spot of the Common Blue and Lysandra species. They usually have very broad pure white fringes and the lower black part of the black dot in the orange lunules isn't surrounded by white, unlike the Polyommatus species where the black dots are usually more or less completely surrounded by white.

The main problem with this group is that they are extremely variable. Not only they have many different subspecies but they also are very variable within populations.

What I am going to show in the next posts are the main ID tips for each species and show pics of typical individuals. But bare in mind that quite a number of the specimens you find in the wild, won't belong clearly to one certain species.

The pic of this post shows a classical Plebejus species. Very special thanks to our Cristian, who very kindly let me use his superb shot to illustrate this post :t:

Attachments

• Plebejus sp.jpg
    Plebejus sp.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 54
Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back