• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Lanzarote - small blue ID help please (1 Viewer)

Richg32

United Kingdom
Hi - I have very limited knowledge of butterflies (more of a birder), but found this wonderful little butterfly right on the coast at Playa Blanca, in sparse scrub and sand. Approx 2cm wingspan?
I received some very helpful input from @Jos Stratford but couldn't find a way to attach photos to a message conversation, hence the post here.
After doing some research, I thought either Lang's Leptotes pirithous or African Grass Blue Zizeeria knysna but neither were a good fit. Jos (without seeing a photo) also suggested Long-tailed blue Lampides boeticus as a possiblity.
However - after doing some more research today, I'm now thinking this is Polyommatus amandus? Is this found in the Canary Islands?
Be grateful for some expert guidance - thanks.

Attachments

• _DSC7457 (2).JPG
    _DSC7457 (2).JPG
    1 MB · Views: 16
  • _DSC7434 (2).JPG
    _DSC7434 (2).JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 15
  • _DSC7445 (2).JPG
    _DSC7445 (2).JPG
    1,021.4 KB · Views: 16
Hi - I have very limited knowledge of butterflies (more of a birder), but found this wonderful little butterfly right on the coast at Playa Blanca, in sparse scrub and sand. Approx 2cm wingspan?
I received some very helpful input from @Jos Stratford but couldn't find a way to attach photos to a message conversation, hence the post here.
After doing some research, I thought either Lang's Leptotes pirithous or African Grass Blue Zizeeria knysna but neither were a good fit. Jos (without seeing a photo) also suggested Long-tailed blue Lampides boeticus as a possiblity.
However - after doing some more research today, I'm now thinking this is Polyommatus amandus? Is this found in the Canary Islands?
Be grateful for some expert guidance - thanks.
Polyommatus amandus is one of the larger species of blue and is not found south of Iberia. I can’t give you a suggestion as to its correct identification.

David

Agreed, Southern Blue. In the Canary Islands, this species is only on the eastern islands I believe, chiefly Lanzarote.

Amanda's Blue can be ruled out on two grounds - it is very much a midsummer butterfly (+/- late May - July), thus wouldn't be flying now. Plus I don't think it has been recorded in the Canary Islands.

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back