• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

English name of Germain's Swiftlet (1 Viewer)

The bird was named after M. Rodolphe Germain a correspondent of the museum.
http://www.biodiversitylibrary.org/item/98694#page/249/mode/1up .

Why the latinization of Germain becomes germani I am not sure. The other bird named after him is Polyplectron germaini.

The original spelling is surely a misspelling?
A. Milne-Edward named something germanii latinizing Germain to Germanius and then used the genative germanii. Zoologische Verhandelingen 1997.

Last edited:
I asked Normand David about this germani and here's his answer:

At this moment, the original germani seems correct to me under Arts. 26 and 31.1.1. The Latin word Germanus [a German; un Germain] is protected under art. 26, and the genitive germani is correct under 31.1.1, when "of Germain" is latinized to germani.

Normand

Theo

Thank you so much, Theo. Please thank Mr. David also. As to Joe Morlan's original question I have seen Germain's Swiftlet and German's and Oustelet's. German is wrong.

Thanks all. I've been in contact with the Clements checklist editors and have been advised they will be using Germain's Swiftlet in the next edition.

FWIW v6.8 of Clement's checklist changes the English spelling noting
"Although the scientific name for this species is spelled "germani", it was named in honor of Rodolophe Germain (Oustalet 1876). Consequently, we follow regional authorities (Inskipp et al. 1996, Robson 2000), and revise the English name for the species from "German's Swiftlet" to "Germain's Swiftlet"."

Looks like the wikipedia article also needs updating to "Germain's".

Done (I hope !).
edit: If you see anything wrong with what I've done, please feel free to fix it (or let me know if you don't want to do it yourself); end edit

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back