• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

leica 10x25 and Nikon 8x30e2 (1 Viewer)

littlu

I know the nikons have better FOV but would the leica have equal resolution and contrast? I wish i could visually compare. Last question folks and i appreciate this-i have zeiss classics p from 1989 that i "think" are great. Has anyone compared them to the newer leica 10x25? Not sure if i need to go and spend a lot for a little extra. My wife has this crazy idea the kids college fund is more important!!!

Obviously the 17 years since your ClassiC was manufactured has seen a lot of improvement in optical design. Binoculars that cost 1/4 of the price of the offerings of the "big 3 (or 4)" include features that in 1989 were the sole domain of high end optics (phase correction coatings being a prime example.) The big makers have had to likewise improve their products to remain competitive. Take a look at a Zeiss ClassiC made today and you will likely see a significant difference in the optical image as compared to your 1989 model, not to mention the Leica you speak of which is utterly breathtaking.

Having said that, any improvements made do not immediately turn your binocular into a "turkey." If your ClassiC is doing everything you want/need it to do, then there is no absolute need to make a change. My uncle has an old 10x25 Zeiss that he acquired in the early 80's and he has absolutely no desire to upgrade at all.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back