• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Poor service from Leica (1 Viewer)

There is no built in filter on the 65mm. Due to the size and cost of the 82mm OG lens a filter was fitted to give it protection from knocks and scratches - an optically flat filter is much cheaper to replace.

can i fit a filter on the 65 mm , and can i use the sun hood still ??

I sent my trinovids to Leica to get the focussing sorted and they were back in a fortnight, complete with a nice new set of badges - great service :t: . Why not just ask them how long they expect it to take. Its always worth having a spare pair for times like this!

I took mine in and they did it while I popped out for a sandwich.

But it took just over 3 weeks for them to do the objective coating on my scope, I would contact them

Mark

Wheatear,

Your 'scope is in transit to your dealer at the moment. Unfortunately we had to wait for a new objective lens from the factory. As the Televid 77 is no longer produced the parts for them are not in constant production but are made in batches. It was then noticed that the hood and its locking ring on your instrument, which have to be removed to fit the new objective, were badly dented and could not be removed easily so new ones were ordered and fitted.
Please accept our appologies for the delay.

Finally picked up my scope today. seems like a good job has been done eventually! Now 24th May and I have had to invest in a travel scope in the meantime. If Leica had communicated the problems outlined above instead of ignoring various emails I would have been in a better frame of mind about the whole issue. My next dillema is I am in the market for a new pair of bins I do like Leica products the best and much prefer the Televids (Ive got 2 a 62 and 77)to any Swavorski its now just the lens coating issues that worries me.

Its not a dilemma really Wheatear - overall, if at the end of the day you are unhappy with the product or the company then most would look elsewhere for their next purchase. Though personally, I believe everyone should have a second chance or an opportunity to put things right. Sometimes this may take time (we are so governed by the McD*n*lds syndrome..... instant, instant, instant!). Even Swarovski has to send back optics to Austria for service.
The televid objective coatings issue was something that manifested several years ago and unfortunately yours seems to be something of a late starter. This problem surely doesn't mean everything from Leica Nature optics is going to be of poor quality?
May I respectfully suggest that when testing or considering your new binoculars you put aside any negatives. You may find you prefer one of the other brands - if this is the case, then where's the dilemma?
I use Zeiss, Leica, Nikon and Swarovski optics and have no connection to any make or company mentioned therein. All the very best. P

Leica Bins

Your right there is no dilemma. I had a look throgh new Leicas and Swarvs the other day made comparisons with my 10 yr old Leicas and no difference at all it is just fashionable to walk around with a swanky new pair of bins. I'm very unfashionable. So I don't need to lay out a 1,000 quid for a new pair. I'll just spend it on petrol twitching I suppose.

There is no built in filter on the 65mm. Due to the size and cost of the 82mm OG lens a filter was fitted to give it protection from knocks and scratches - an optically flat filter is much cheaper to replace.

leica germany has send me a e mail that there is a filter build in the 65 mm !

Hi - can i just ask, seeing as we have a leica rep here on this thread - i have a televid 77 i bought second hand here on birdforum and in a similar fashion to a few other people here the coating has disintegrated since i started seawatching. i just contacted the leica dealer in Limerick, stating i have the box and maybe a warranty card and he said that it would definitely be outside the warranty so they'd send it away and see how much it'll cost me.

Yet it's been stated here that leica never charge to replace coatings - where do i take the scope to here in Ireland and does the fact that it's second hand affect this? thanks in advance

Hi - can i just ask, seeing as we have a leica rep here on this thread - i have a televid 77 i bought second hand here on birdforum and in a similar fashion to a few other people here the coating has disintegrated since i started seawatching. i just contacted the leica dealer in Limerick, stating i have the box and maybe a warranty card and he said that it would definitely be outside the warranty so they'd send it away and see how much it'll cost me.

Yet it's been stated here that leica never charge to replace coatings - where do i take the scope to here in Ireland and does the fact that it's second hand affect this? thanks in advance

Did you ever get a reply Jamspangle? I had the coating of my APO 77 replaced about 10 years ago but it's starting to come off again.

Rich M

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back