• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Opticron 8x22 Aspheric & TRAILFINDER II (1 Viewer)

mrlimbo

Hi , ive been looking for a cheap ,light , handy pair of bins for non specific birding trips out and about , ive came across these two in my searches , has anyone had or used these , your views would be vey ry helpful , many thanks :)

Quite different compacts - major difference is that the trailfinderII is a single hinge so will not fold down as compact as the double hinged aspheric.

A popular Opticron compact is the Taiga range, rrp around £89 - very handy for backpackers / cruises / safari, but again try them out - very good optics.

Well i went and got a pair of "Bushnell Excursion 10x28" 2nd hand online , i hope i get them , as still showing as in stock ! we will see !
Would rather of had 8x , but there you go , ive read good and bad about these , i suppose i will find out either way
Thanks for all the help :)

I got the "Excursion's" today......i sent back the "Excursion's" today !!!

These were 2nd hand but sold as mint , my impressions were they were quite bright and fov was very good for 10x28 , on these 2nd hand ones the diopter was faulty , neautral position was at the max minus point and there was alot of play in the focus wheel.

As stated before depth of field was very dissapointing , also the focus or out of focus point was a hairs breadth , hard to imagine anyone being able to use these , but these were 2nd hand so not really a fair opinion !

I got the "Excursion's" today......i sent back the "Excursion's" today !!!

These were 2nd hand but sold as mint , my impressions were they were quite bright and fov was very good for 10x28 , on these 2nd hand ones the diopter was faulty , neautral position was at the max minus point and there was alot of play in the focus wheel.

As stated before depth of field was very dissapointing , also the focus or out of focus point was a hairs breadth , hard to imagine anyone being able to use these , but these were 2nd hand so not really a fair opinion !

As an earlier member has said try out the Opticron Taiga's 8x25/10x25. They are usually around £89. They have really good optics and being porro prisms a better depth of field, I find, than roof prisms. If you prefer Roof's, try the new Aspheric LE WP 8x25 they are also very good but usually a bit more expensive at around £99, but they are waterproof, and fold up better.

Plenty of places sale both of them, South West Optics, LCE etc...

Good luck :t:

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back