• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Phylloscopus ID, NE Bulgaria (1 Viewer)

This is where it gets interesting. Two of my friends here have looked at the images and said they see no reason why it can't be Plain Leaf. Structure looks better for it and plumage within variation. One (Oscar Campbell) said the only thing he didn't like was that there seemed to be some yellow on the bill, but I don't think we can rely on the colour tones in the images at all.

Did you make any field notes at the time? Any observations on its behaviour? Did it have a whirring flight like a Goldcrest? Did it hover or flick its wings? Did it dip its tail? Are you sure you didn't hear a call - maybe an unfamiliar one, like a Sparrow-like chirp?

As Lou says in his post I see a yellow wash in the supercillium above the lore, the alula edge and in the rear flanks. these consistantly appear in the images given, and the bill doesn’t seem right colour for neglectus , I wonder if it’s regrowing its tail after a brush with a cat or other predator.

Now, any other opinions?

I am not going to venture an opinion at this point, however the comparisons must have taken you time and effort. However I would suggest that surely your default Chiffchaff should be P.c.abietinus not the nominate form. These should change the images for comparison.

[I have to admit I am also unsure about the bottom image of the three chosen for PLW - it looks too chiffchaff to me]

This is where it gets interesting. Two of my friends here have looked at the images and said they see no reason why it can't be Plain Leaf. Structure looks better for it and plumage within variation. One (Oscar Campbell) said the only thing he didn't like was that there seemed to be some yellow on the bill, but I don't think we can rely on the colour tones in the images at all.

Did you make any field notes at the time? Any observations on its behaviour? Did it have a whirring flight like a Goldcrest? Did it hover or flick its wings? Did it dip its tail? Are you sure you didn't hear a call - maybe an unfamiliar one, like a Sparrow-like chirp?

I think the original images need some colour correction, the vegetation seems too yellow and I wonder if once that correction is made the yellower bits on the bird turn to something buffier. I'll leave that to the Photoshop wizards.

I think the original images need some colour correction, the vegetation seems too yellow and I wonder if once that correction is made the yellower bits on the bird turn to something buffier. I'll leave that to the Photoshop wizards.

I have zero idea about this bird, and no competence to even begin to join in (just watching out of interest and lockdown boredom). But here are the photos with the saturation of yellow (only yellow, not the photo as a whole) reduced (but obviously to a random degree, since I / we have no idea of what the original looked like; as it happens, it looks to me like the original was just bright sunshine, and the colours were basically OK).

Attachments

• attachment.jpg
    attachment.jpg
    691.5 KB · Views: 78
  • attachment-1.jpg
    attachment-1.jpg
    728.7 KB · Views: 54
  • attachment-2.jpg
    attachment-2.jpg
    805.3 KB · Views: 51
  • attachment-3.jpg
    attachment-3.jpg
    916.8 KB · Views: 52
I got a response from one more colleague, who was more non-committal than the other two:

I agree that this does superficially look like a Plain Leaf Warbler at first glance, but my feeling is that the bill is slightly too long and narrow. Whilst accepting that both the primaries & tail look interestingly short, I'd be reluctant to pronounce what would presumably be a first for Bulgaria (?) on the basis of 3 images taken from the same angle. Can we be sure that there isn't any foreshortening going on here (although the images do seem to be almost side-on)? Also, the images aren't really clear enough to accurately assess the number of visible primary tips and which primaries are emarginated (although I'm not sure where I would find that data for PLW). Without other images or notes on call/habits, I wouldn't go much beyond "possible PLW".

I have zero idea about this bird, and no competence to even begin to join in (just watching out of interest and lockdown boredom). But here are the photos with the saturation of yellow (only yellow, not the photo as a whole) reduced (but obviously to a random degree, since I / we have no idea of what the original looked like; as it happens, it looks to me like the original was just bright sunshine, and the colours were basically OK).

Many thanks. It was quite an extreme treatment, but that is handy to see that although (to my eye and on my single computer screen) the yellowish on the flanks and wing bend are now mostly gone (perhaps some resulting from reflections from the surrounding vegetation?), there's still yellow remaining on the anterior part of the supercilium. The bill, of course, is still not fully black, being paler along the cutting edges.
As others, I have no first hand experience with this species, whatsoever, and therefore my approach is mostly exploratory.

I got a response from one more colleague, who was more non-committal than the other two:

I agree that this does superficially look like a Plain Leaf Warbler at first glance, but my feeling is that the bill is slightly too long and narrow. Whilst accepting that both the primaries & tail look interestingly short, I'd be reluctant to pronounce what would presumably be a first for Bulgaria (?) on the basis of 3 images taken from the same angle. Can we be sure that there isn't any foreshortening going on here (although the images do seem to be almost side-on)? Also, the images aren't really clear enough to accurately assess the number of visible primary tips and which primaries are emarginated (although I'm not sure where I would find that data for PLW). Without other images or notes on call/habits, I wouldn't go much beyond "possible PLW".

I think there's no foreshortening at all.
I'm attaching two figures from Svensson's Identification Guide to European Passerines (1992 edition), the first showing the wing of PLW, and the second that of abietinus Chiffchaff. In short, the emarginations are from P3 to P6 on both species. PLW has a conspicuously shorter wing, with a longer P1, with the tip of P2 falling between P8 and P10 (thus almost leveled with the secondaries tips), whilst on Chiffchaff P1 is shorter and P2 falls between P6 and P8 (as would be expected from a longer wing anyway). Wing tip is rounder in PLW, with tip composed of PP3-5, and more pointed in CC, with P4 being usually the longest.

Is there any chance to have a 100% crop of the original images? So that the maximum resolution is available and the wing could be more accurately analysed (although I'm a bit skeptic that this will be possible conclusively). Are there any more pictures?

I don't think the tail is regrowing. Tail feathers don't look particularly fresh, and although it is rather difficult to evaluate from these photos, they seem to be slightly (at least) sun bleached (they would be fully fresh, if regrowing).

Was the bird looked for again? Perhaps it's still worth to search for it? Maybe.

Finally, perhaps the photos could be sent to Lars Svensson, is everything else fails.

Attachments

• IMG_0758_2.jpg
    IMG_0758_2.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_0759_2.jpg
    IMG_0759_2.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 36
Last edited:
The bill, of course, is still not fully black, being paler along the cutting edges.

HBW says: 'bill dark brown, paler horn-brown base of lower mandible', so I'm not sure why people are looking for an all-black bill? And 'Has short and rather inconspicuous pale buffish-cream supercilium...fading over ear-coverts' so wouldn't a little yellowish at the anterior of the super fit? Just a comment; again, I've never seen this bird. In fact, maybe only Andrew on this thread actually has?

HBW says: 'bill dark brown, paler horn-brown base of lower mandible', so I'm not sure why people are looking for an all-black bill? And 'Has short and rather inconspicuous pale buffish-cream supercilium...fading over ear-coverts' so wouldn't a little yellowish at the anterior of the super fit? Just a comment; again, I've never seen this bird. In fact, maybe only Andrew on this thread actually has?

Those two observations referred to comments in post #9 by Lou.

Seen plenty. Relatively common winter visitor in the mountains between Dubai and Fujairah. I personally would not count one if I hadn't heard it call. Always reminded me in the field of an unbarred and brown YBW rather than a chiffchaff.

My personal reaction when I first looked at the pictures was abietinus chiffchaff due to the yellow tones. One of the pictures almost looked good for Caucasian which I have also seen in Georgia, but the supercilium on most photos looks all wrong.

Can't contribute much more but just one thought about the seemingly yellow wash to supercilium and flanks. As Raphael already mentioned, I can imagine that at the flanks it could be a reflection of the foliage - it obvioulsly was a sunny day after all. At the supercilium one should consider that it could be stained by pollen...

Anyway, probably a case too weak to be finally accepted by the rarities committee. Still, an intriguing bird!

As Lou says in his post I see a yellow wash in the supercillium above the lore, the alula edge and in the rear flanks. these consistantly appear in the images given, and the bill doesn’t seem right colour for neglectus , I wonder if it’s regrowing its tail after a brush with a cat or other predator.

Since there is information about the yellow (wash) in the plumage of PLW, [please, see Shirihai and Svensson (2018) and Duivendijk (2011)], the presence of such colour is not enough to be ruled out this species.
Moreover, at closer view, I can see buff in supercillium.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 46
Anyway, probably a case too weak to be finally accepted by the rarities committee. Still, an intriguing bird!

Without the call, I'm pretty certain this will be the case, I think no one will risk a definitive ID for this bird. But nevertheless an interesting record to explore.

Seen plenty. Relatively common winter visitor in the mountains between Dubai and Fujairah. I personally would not count one if I hadn't heard it call. Always reminded me in the field of an unbarred and brown YBW rather than a chiffchaff.

My personal reaction when I first looked at the pictures was abietinus chiffchaff due to the yellow tones. One of the pictures almost looked good for Caucasian which I have also seen in Georgia, but the supercilium on most photos looks all wrong.

Yes, indeed a fairly common winter visitor to wadis and in acacias on open gravel plains in the Hajjar Mountains and also around Jebel Hafeet near Al Ain. Also common in parts of the Musandam Peninsula and northern Oman. I've seen a fair few, but not as many as some of my colleagues here, who are more active because they don't have family commitments.

But you seem to be implying that you would only identify them on call - with that fairly distinctive structure, that shouldn't be the case, even when seen away from their traditional wintering areas on migration. Unless you're referring to this particular bird?

Yes, to sum up, without calls heard and/or behavioural notes, nowhere near enough evidence for a national first.

My first impression, though, was emphatically not abietinus Chiffchaff. I've just been through the 3 pages of images on the website linked here:

https://www.smugmug.com/gallery/n-dd28B/i-fGZ3mmk

As you can see, these birds are pretty variable in appearance, including those weird grey-and-green birds, but the only one which looks anything like the OP bird structurally is the bird in image 3, as the angle and/or foreshortening makes it appear short-tailed. However, the same bird in other images has the typical structure, with a proportionately smaller head and longer tail, and typically dusky appearance. These birds also pump/dip their tails a lot, which Plain Leaf apparently never does.

There's also an album of Plain Leaf images here:

https://www.smugmug.com/gallery/n-wJvtq/i-2ZfxrdM

The images from Green Mubazzarah (near Al Ain) taken by Huw Roberts are all absolutely typical. Not all the images show this typically broad supercililum though. Images 14 and 23 both show the rather short blunt wing (but relatively long P1) mentioned by Rafael. This is what gives the bird a rather whirring flight.

The exceptionally sharp image of the Chiffchaff in 16/55 clearly shows the shorter P1. In the PLW set, images 7 and 16/25 seem to show a longer P1. The OP bird seems to have a longer P1 too but the photos are not sharp or clear enough to be sure.

I'm a bit puzzled by the suggestion that Misho's bird might have encountered a cat, when you consider the kind of habitat PLW frequents - unless it's a Chiffchaff, of course! It doesn't look to me like the tail is damaged, though,as you can see the notch where the central tail-feathers divide.

I really wish there were more images of this bird, plus some field notes.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back