• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Pocket Bins? (1 Viewer)

songbird6666

Can anyone recommend a lightweight binocular that will fit in my jacket pocket when I go out walking with my dog? I am not a serious birdwatcher, and can't be doing with a big hefty pair that you hang round your neck, I have some like that indoors for looking out of the windows. I had a cheap pair from Argos, but they have gone funny, so that you can see four of everything! I don't want to spend more than about £30. Just would be nice to see what I hear sometimes instead of a blur!

use bigger binos myself, but if you go to any optics shop you should find a pair to suit your budget. just remember to try before you buy.

I'm on the lookout for something like that myself but for different reasons, my main bins now are Cannon with IS absolutely great but the close focus lets them down a bit, I want something cheap which I can keep in my pocket for those rare occasions when the Cannons won't focus close enough.

Mick

They have two types that are small, one is roof prisms, and they fold pretty small. Nikon Nascar models are like that, but I am sure marketed under another name over there, cost under $50.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/search-handle-form/026-7974695-3870004

Hmm, no price on the Sportstar.
Well, my wife has these
http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000094U4X/ref=br_lf_li_1_2/026-7974695-3870004
Not available at 8x, if that is waht you prefer.

The other is porros that are 8x25, also at that amazon UK page. The end you look out from has the lenses on the inside and the end you look into has the lenses further apart. Nikon Travelites are an example. Nikon Mountaineers are similar, but waterproof, for $150 here.

Nikon makes some, so do other camera makers. Some small expensive models are also available. Zeiss and Swarowski I think have small models, some about $600 here.

In addition to Tero’s suggestions, for £40ish the following are available on mail order incl. delivery.

Summit 8x26MR has an excellent field of view for a compact.
http://www.intro2020.co.uk/PAGES/summit2.htm
http://www.mifsuds.co.uk/acatalog/Summit_Binoculars.html
Helios Panther 8x25 was recently enthusiastically recommended by one BirdForum member.
http://www.opticalvision.co.uk/products.asp?D=47&P=123
Stockists are given at above site including www.obm.co.uk and can possibly can be ordered from WarehouseExpress.

Nikon Sprint III 8x21 is on special at WarehouseExpress if reverse porro more to liking.
Helios Phoenix 8x25 is an inexpensive modern reverse porro; Richard suggests works well for specs wearers :
http://www.actionoptics.co.uk/New Binoculars.htm

songbird said:
Can anyone recommend a lightweight binocular that will fit in my jacket pocket when I go out walking with my dog? I am not a serious birdwatcher, and can't be doing with a big hefty pair that you hang round your neck, I have some like that indoors for looking out of the windows. I had a cheap pair from Argos, but they have gone funny, so that you can see four of everything! I don't want to spend more than about £30. Just would be nice to see what I hear sometimes instead of a blur!

Hello songbird.

That's a tough question since the chance of actually enjoying what you see is determined by buying at least minimum quality. As you found with the Argos, cheap binocs can easily get out of alignment and are not worth repairing. In general, porro prism binocs are more economical than roof prisms. I'd stick with brands like Nikon, Pentax, Canon or Bushnell. If you could see your way clear to buying a Bushnell Custom 7x26 for about $235 USD you will not be disappointed. Unfortunately, you may become addicted.

Enjoy the walks.
-elkcub

The Opticron Piccolo 8x21's on the WWT site are a steal at £15 - a bit dull in low light, limited eye relief, adequate construction, small field of view, but fairly sharp and better than many of the sub-£50 bins. There's been a few pairs of new Bushnell H2O waterproof nitrogen purged 8X25's on ebay of late at around £22 - I've got a pair coming (at that price I decided it was worth the risk of not trying them first).

A quick trawl through the offers page on Warehouseexpress gives.

Nikom Sprint III £35 reduced from £90
Bausch & Lomb Legacy Compact 8x25 £40 reduced from £80

probably plus postage

Greetings!

I personally have been very disappointed with the image quality of compact binoculars in general, for anything halfway decent you should expect to pay $300+. The only low cost binocular I've found that has halfway decent image quality is the Brunton Eterna 8x25 ($205), but the field of view is so incredibly restricted that It's like looking down a long railway tunnel at the tunnel opening. I couldn't stand the restricted FOV after using mine for almost a week, and ended up returning them and buying a pair of Zeiss Victory 8x20 Compact binoculars instead. I'm completely thrilled with the Zeiss in every way, but at $379 they are way out of your requested price range. All of the "cheap" compact binoculars I've looked at, both porro and roof style, have been absolute garbage in terms of brightness and clarity... I wish I knew of a decent model around $100. I think that the Nikon Sprint III (or Bushnell Custom 7x26 if you are willing to spend 3x as much) are probably your best bets.

Best wishes,
Bawko

Hello Songbird,
I picked up a pair of Bresser 8X32 for about 20 pounds during the summer, they're still working quite well.There's a wide range of models at Jessopps.
As Atomic Chicken says the FOV and brightness will not be as good as full size Bins but you'll have to put up with that if you want them to fit in your pocket.
Or buy a coat with bigger pockets!

songbird said:

I looked through a £20 pair from Marks and Spencer a few weeks ago and they were surprisingly good. Ideal for the kitchen window sill or walking...and for £20 you could buy the dog a pair as well!!

Try them, you'll be surprised.

JB.

Wow, thanks everyone for the replies, I certainly have a lot of options there to think about. I didn't know M&S did bins, whatever next. The dog would look quite cute with a pair strapped to her! I may well have a look then later as I am about to venture into town now the kids are back at school (don't dare go there in the holidays) I will also take a look in Jessops, thanks for all the suggestions guys, I have written down the names and sizes recommended. No doubt I will come home with something this afternoon, once I make up my mind about something, I have to have it NOW! :t:

Just remember I have some Piccolo's.

They were sent free to me when I bought something else, they never get used so you are welcome to them.

The Nikon 8X21 Cf Sprint Iii Green
Price: £67.39

Look really cute, but various 8x25 models are pretty compact too and broader view.

Tero said:
The Nikon 8X21 Cf Sprint Iii Green
Price: £67.39

Look really cute, but various 8x25 models are pretty compact too and broader view.

There are quite a few of these available on e-bay UK at the moment from as little as £49-95 brand new.

Des.

pduxon said:
Just remember I have some Piccolo's.

They were sent free to me when I bought something else, they never get used so you are welcome to them.

Now you tell me! Too late. Thanks for the very kind offer though. I opted for the Marks & Spencer ones @ £19.50, as john barclay said, I was pleasantly surprised. I looked at three options in Jessops, and was not impressed by the ones they had. Can't wait to try them properly now, not quite the same focusing across to the coffee shop inside M&S |8)|

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back