• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

One more Warbler from Thailand (1 Viewer)

gary1952

Second childhood and loving it.
What is this little jewel. I am horrible at Warblers.
Thanks for the help.

Attachments

• 6409785607_152bf7203d_z.jpg
    6409785607_152bf7203d_z.jpg
    140.2 KB · Views: 121
Gary,

Where did you take this shot?

I think this is a Radde's, but (particularly if it was taken up north) you would need to eliminate Yellow-streaked Warbler.

Yellow-streaked is most easily separated from Radde's on call, but that's not so helpful with a photo! Paul Leader provides some very useful pointers in this thread (see post 4), and the thing that interests me in this bird is just how olive the flanks appear (though this could be an effect of the flash that you have used) and the relatively demarcated white throat.

Best wishes

Dave

Certainly an interesting looking bird Dave, but I thought it might be just too olive, though I know where your coming from with the throat, breast band etc. The flanks are not normally quite so dark (in the Spring anyway) though I have photographed a bird approaching this on the breeding grounds - http://ibc.lynxeds.com/photo/yellow...low-streaked-warbler-territory-old-peak-fp-he
although they tend to look more like this one - http://ibc.lynxeds.com/photo/yellow-streaked-warbler-phylloscopus-armandii/standing-leaf-vegetable

Mmmm, where was it taken and do you have other shots?

Mark,

I think the darkness of the flanks may be somehow (?) due to the flash. However looking at my own images of Radde's I don't see any that are as dark as this bird appears.

I also take your point on the the olive vs brown ground colour, but it seems hard to judge from a single flash lit image...

best wishes

Dave

Mark,

I think the darkness of the flanks may be somehow (?) due to the flash. However looking at my own images of Radde's I don't see any that are as dark as this bird appears.

I also take your point on the the olive vs brown ground colour, but it seems hard to judge from a single flash lit image...

best wishes

Dave

You may well be right about the flash and I've also never seen a Radde's this dark either. Lets hope there a few more images.

I think i took this in Kaeng Krachan. I take so many pics here I need to get a gps on my camera. If I remember right I took it on top of the mountain.
Most of my pics in the dark underbrush here I use a flash with a beamer. The only way I know to get the shot?
I will try to find more of this guy but I dought I can. I burn everything to a external and do not have a good naming or filing system.
Gary

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back