• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Shame on Swarovski: no 7x roof! (2 Viewers)

Usually these people will go on 2week trips costing 3-4000€, many will go on several trips a year. Both africa and rest of the world... many have done India, Nepal, Borneo, Vietnam, 2-5countries in africa, inka trail, galapagos, aso

Groups are usually 12-20people in landrovers... I work in Southeast Asia, but most guests have allready been on 2 or more Africa trips

Hello Kurakura,

It's a strange world.
We sell a lot of A-bins for once in the lifetime trips and you have the experience that people travel several times a year to exotic places and these people use Chinbins!

In your experience; should these people buy A-optics or keep the Chinbins?

Jan

Usually these people will go on 2week trips costing 3-4000€, many will go on several trips a year. Both africa and rest of the world... many have done India, Nepal, Borneo, Vietnam, 2-5countries in africa, inka trail, galapagos, aso

Groups are usually 12-20people in landrovers... I work in Southeast Asia, but most guests have allready been on 2 or more Africa trips

It seems a stretch to expect people to make a 2000E optics investment for a 4000E trip. Even if they are multiple trip customers, they surely would rather spend that on a great camera, so they can get some lasting souvenirs.
Unless really good views are critical, as they can be in birding, almost any binocular in good repair will serve.

Hello Kurakura,

It's a strange world.
We sell a lot of A-bins for once in the lifetime trips and you have the experience that people travel several times a year to exotic places and these people use Chinbins!

In your experience; should these people buy A-optics or keep the Chinbins?

Jan

most a quite happy using the chinbins, I wish they would push the budget to get nikon monarchs or similar bins though - thinking about it, when I was on the market to get my first bins I came up with a 300€ budget and now I would not even consider bins in that range. I think the travel agencies maybe should do more in getting "Good deals" on better equipment for their guests though... add the 10x42 Swarovision for an additional 500€ or something like that hahaha

As I tourleader it is always nice when someone pull out their A-optics in the airport on departure and start birding through the windows at the departure gate hehe. Mind you the tours I do are not exclusively for birding, but rather nature trips, and many go to experience what they have seen on BBC docu's like a nesting turtle, Orangutans, and less attention to a thumb size dull bird... however most love when the Hornbills and raptors start showing :D

most a quite happy using the chinbins, I wish they would push the budget to get nikon monarchs or similar bins though - thinking about it, when I was on the market to get my first bins I came up with a 300€ budget and now I would not even consider bins in that range. I think the travel agencies maybe should do more in getting "Good deals" on better equipment for their guests though... add the 10x42 Swarovision for an additional 500€ or something like that hahaha

As I tourleader it is always nice when someone pull out their A-optics in the airport on departure and start birding through the windows at the departure gate hehe. Mind you the tours I do are not exclusively for birding, but rather nature trips, and many go to experience what they have seen on BBC docu's like a nesting turtle, Orangutans, and less attention to a thumb size dull bird... however most love when the Hornbills and raptors start showing :D

Well, at least your Minox HG8x33 is as good as they come;)

Thanks,

Jan

As I said, most people are discouraged from buying 7x bino's, actively discouraged by sales staff in most shops.
There are just two high end 7X42's available at this time, Leica and Nikon bino's.
The Meopta is a high midline glass, very good buy for the money.
It appears that the 7x has been hounded into oblivion by the "more must be better" crowd.
Art

I think you are right. I recently replaced my SLC New 7x42 with Zeiss Conquest HD 8x42. The reason was not really that I wanted to abandon 7x but that I like the Conquest HD so much and it's lighter weight. If it had been 7x instead I had got it. Apart from that I already have two 6x binoculars so I am aware of the advantage with moderate powered binoculars.

When we are talking about magnification I wish that Zeiss or Swarovski(or Leica) had offered new 6x30s. Actually mailed them several years ago about it. But the market controls: 6 and 7x don't sell as much as 8 and 10x.

I have a Bushnell X-wide 5x25(unfortunately damaged because I thought I could clean it under the tap...) and just imagine about how awesome a high quality model could be. Even if it's optically rubbish it filled it's function: providing a wide stable comfortable view when I want to come a bit closer without needing extreme details.

And here I want to reveal my dream: an high end 5x25 with wide angle field flattener eyepieces. Imagine a Swarovski 5x25, 60+deg AFOV with sharpness to (at least almost) the very edge! I would give much for that!

Last edited:
The age group that has extra time to use top-end binoculars
and not as much acuity is increasing. Power is the top way to deal with that.

Alas! In that age group, along with that extra time comes extra shakes. IS is a better answer.

The one time I tried a Canon 10x42 IS I was convinced of that. I had my Nikon 10x32 EDG (an excellent binocular) with me to compare them. I usually sit when I use it so things are steady but even then I could see the difference between them.

Bob

For many, yes. The shakes render extra power and extra resolution moot at times.
More IS in the alphas might get them some more sales, though there is weight to worry about.
Getting old isn't for sissies, my mother-in-law used to say.

To get steady, I strap the 10x42s onto a shoulder/rail platform sometimes.
Not as compact, but you get steady and supported at the same time.
A commercial version would be even better.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back