• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New Swarovski 15x56 SLC (1 Viewer)

. This doesn't seem strange to me.
At least for astronomy aperture and magnification often bring out fainter objects.
An 8×23 binocular is not in the same category as a high-performance 20×56.

My highly selected and special order 20×60 Soviet binocular actually betters the 18 x 50 image stabilised binocular.
Some of the surfaces of the Soviet binocular may be one 20th wave. Although the coatings are not modern.

If the 20×56 Nikon Monarch is very good quality it should better the 20 x 60 Soviet binocular although I'm not holding my breath to find out.
I do wish this 20×56 Nikon had an updated Canon image stabiliser.

. This doesn't seem strange to me.
At least for astronomy aperture and magnification often bring out fainter objects.
An 8×23 binocular is not in the same category as a high-performance 20×56.

My highly selected and special order 20×60 Soviet binocular actually betters the 18 x 50 image stabilised binocular.
Some of the surfaces of the Soviet binocular may be one 20th wave. Although the coatings are not modern.

If the 20×56 Nikon Monarch is very good quality it should better the 20 x 60 Soviet binocular although I'm not holding my breath to find out.
I do wish this 20×56 Nikon had an updated Canon image stabiliser.

I wasn't, of course, suggesting that an 8x23 compact, even a "high performing" one, was in the same "category" as a 20x56 bin, only that the exit pupil size was the same. My question was regarding whether or not the 20x56's twilight factor would outweigh the liability of its small exit pupils for "low light" use, or if the small exit pupils would be a factor. Perhaps one of our optics experts can do some ciphering and weigh in on that.

As to using the Monarchs for stargazing, well, Nikon isn't marketing its 56mm Monarchs to amateur astronomers. That was the realm of the "Prostar" and "Astroluxe" series. Like its brethren 8.5x, 10x and 12x models, the 56mm Monarchs were made for "low light" rather than "dark skies." Most 20x bins made for astronomy have 80 to 100mm objectives to gather more light and pump up the exit pupils along with the magnification.

The blurb under the title reads:

"Even with an uncontested heritage of all-conditions optical performance, the all-new 56mm objective MONARCH 5 further elevates its game with massive 56mm objectives and advanced low light brilliance. Nikon's ED glass lenses put it in a class of its own for battling darkness with sharp, high-contrast views. Long eye relief and tripod adaptable further its versatility."

Of course, if the edges were good, the 20x56 could be used for stargazing (with only a 3.3* FOV, the edges would have to be better than average to be suitable). The small exit pupils would enhance the contrast on bright suburban skies.

Pier from binomania will probably evaluate how they perform on the night sky in his review, but if a buyer's purpose is to buy a bin for stargazing, he would be better served by the 70mm Astroluxe series if he can find them, considering the MSRP of the new 20x56 Monarch is nearly $900 (the retail price at volume dealers will be lower). You also won't get the roof edge "spike" from the porros.

Brock

Last edited:
. Dear Brock,
Thanks for that.

I wouldn't mind using the Nikon Monarch 20×56 for astronomy with its 3.3° field.
This is a lot better than the Pentax 20×60 which is about 2.2° from memory which is ridiculously small. Also the ones I have tried are very mediocre.

This special Soviet 20×60 binocular also has about 3.4° field. I used it daily for 15 years until it went out collimation and I'm still waiting to get it collimated.
Only about 12 of these specials were made in a batch for the UK in the early 1970s I think for one of the well-known astronomical telescope makers. he had good connections with the Soviet makers.
George Alcock had one and I think discovered one of his comets or Novae with it.
I was privileged to be allowed to buy one of them at the same price as the normal commercial Soviet 20×60.
I think they were virtually handmade.

I also used a selected Celestron 20×80 from the 1970s.

These were all used hand-held but now I find the weight a problem.
And I am spoilt by the hand-held resolution of the 18 x 50 image stabilised binocular.

I think some of the problems birdwatchers have with image stabilised binoculars is that they are better with static targets rather than dynamic targets.
Most astronomical objects stay still except for meteors and artificial satellites mainly.
So here the great benefits of image stabilising works as long as you understand the system.
As soon as the prisms reach the end of their travel you have to unlock it centre it and relock it. It takes seconds, but it prevents smeared or prismatic stars.

However, I think that with birdwatchers if the bird is moving there may be considerable problems with the image stabiliser keeping up without reaching the end of its travel.
That may be why some systems with a bigger correction angle may work better than the Canon binoculars.

And some people just don't seem to be getting the best out of the stabilisers or it just doesn't suit them.

Swaro new 15x56 review?

Does anyone know if Piers at Binomania has written up a review of the new 15x56? I know he had received a sample for evaluation.

Binastro, I had one of the Pentax 20x60 and I have to agree with you. My sample the right side was bad. My right eye is better than the left or I might of kept it. I would be interested in the Nikon 20x56, but I am more interested in the 15x56.

The new 15x56 SLC Swarovski looks great and I'm a big fan of AK prisms. :t:
I wish Zeiss would offer a 15x56 Victory HT model in the future also. |8)|

The new 15x56 SLC Swarovski looks great and I'm a big fan of AK prisms. :t:
I wish Zeiss would offer a 15x56 Victory HT model in the future also. |8)|

You would think they would, as [apparently] the 15x56 Swaro. outsells all other Swaro 56 mm's by a wide margin - to the hunting crowd mostly.

At least now we have a word to distinguish the new SLC from the SLC neu, the SLC Nieuw! ;)

Another Dutchman with a Swaro, why does that not surprise me?

Good view of the thumb indents, which appear to have two layers, one deep and one shallow. One for the thumb itself and one for the fleshy part of the palm near the base of the thumb. Seems like a good idea to allow people to find an angle that is most comfortable. Too often when thumb indents don't fit your hand right, your palm presses against the sharp edges of the thumb indent, which can be uncomfortable. This set-up seems to be designed with some flexibility in mind.

<B>

I have a question. For stargazing, 15x56 is the recommended optic? How about 8x56 and 10x56? Do you hand hold the bino for a long time or put it on the tripod?

. It depends how strong you are, particularly upper body strength.
I used to handhold 20×80 binoculars for long periods without a problem but cannot do this now.
I do like the freedom of handholding and I don't like tripods at all.
But I suppose it is individual preference.

I would much prefer handholding 8×56 and 10×56 binoculars if I could.
I handhold a fairly lightweight 12×56 binocular but not for long periods. There is no way I would mount it on a tripod although I have used a 15 x 70 binocular on a tripod.

Our Swarovski rep brought a new 15x56 into the shop today and even though I look through Swaros every day, this one got a "WoW" out of me.The hills and trees across the street are covered with snow which might have exaggerated the brightness and contrast, but boy I didn't want to put them down. Even spotted a Red Tail Hawk across the way, which I don't know if I would have caught with my usual 8x.
A major plus is how easy they are to hold and keep steady for a longer period of time. The balance is outstanding. Very usable without a tripod.
I had told myself I was pretty set with the binos I have (silly me) but this model is going to have to go on my wish list.
Still no word on exact release date here in the U.S. These will be a lot of fun.

Our Swarovski rep brought a new 15x56 into the shop today and even though I look through Swaros every day, this one got a "WoW" out of me.The hills and trees across the street are covered with snow which might have exaggerated the brightness and contrast, but boy I didn't want to put them down. Even spotted a Red Tail Hawk across the way, which I don't know if I would have caught with my usual 8x.
A major plus is how easy they are to hold and keep steady for a longer period of time. The balance is outstanding. Very usable without a tripod.
I had told myself I was pretty set with the binos I have (silly me) but this model is going to have to go on my wish list.
Still no word on exact release date here in the U.S. These will be a lot of fun.

Hi PP

Are these the SLCs that were announced last year?

Lee

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back