• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Optolyth scope mounting (1 Viewer)

LSB

Me
United Kingdom
Hi all
Ive threaded my foot plate on my scope is there anywhere I can buy a new ring mounting (which goes round the scope) so I can attach it back to my tripod and have swivel mounting (if thats what it's called)
Thanks

Hi all
Ive threaded my foot plate on my scope

Yo LSB not quite sure what you mean, have you lost or damaged the thread insert that fits into the threaded hole in the foot plate?

Stewart

:h?:

Stewart J. said:
Hi all
Ive threaded my foot plate on my scope

Yo LSB not quite sure what you mean, have you lost or damaged the thread insert that fits into the threaded hole in the foot plate?

Stewart

:h?:
Its the hole at the bottom of the scope which is used to mount the tripod foot plate.
I have partly threaded it . Its holding but I dont trust it to last much longer..

I've threaded my footplate

Being new to the forum I've been scanning through to find any information regarding Optolyth Scopes and I came across your post regarding the thread in the base of your scope. I take it the problem is that you have cross threaded it??? If this is the case, is there any way you can get it re-threaded by having a heli-coil insert fitted???

Hopefully by now you have had it sorted

regards

Mike :t:

I had problems with my TBGS80 (back in the early 90's) the actual foot plate kept breaking away from the ring. Each time I rang Optolyth direct and they sent me replacement rings.

Mark

Littlestintboy,
If you can get a replacement from the manufacturer, great. Otherwise, I think that your local garage could drill it out, retap it to a larger size and supply a bolt to fit. The bolt head might need grinding down a bit and have a slot cut in it, but it's basically a straightforward job.

Hmm, just noted the date at the start of this thread - Any news?
Good luck,
Pete.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back