• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

A question about the Swarovski ATC (1 Viewer)

Andy DVM

United States
Greetings,
I am a large animal veterinarian living in Idaho in the western USA. I do most of my birding locally at the Deer Flat Wildlife Refuge. My favorite are the raptors that I see living here in southwest Idaho. I also use my optics to watch wolves and other wildlife in Yellowstone Park.

Several times a year, air-travel will take me somewhere fun, usually Hawaii or California. I always take my NLT Pure 8x32's with me and always try to go birding or view wildlife. I also carry my NLT Pure's in my vet truck and will often stop and bird on my way home from work. I was planning on buying the Swarovski ATX 65 for air-travel and also carrying in my vet truck to supplement my bins. I plan to mount it on a Peak Designs Carbon Fiber tripod with the Swarovski Video head.

While shopping for the ATX, I came across the Swarovski ATC and decided that it would be even better for air-travel. But, one thing holds me back. The ATC doesn't have a shoe to mount on a tripod and Swarovski didn't include a index hole so the scope won't spin or come off of the tripod (I'm sure I messing this description up). It's a very expensive piece of glass to fall off your tripod. Does anyone have any ideas on how to mount an arca-swiss plate so that it won't come loose? I thought about attaching one of the RRS binocular mounts to it like I have on my bins. I even thought about drilling and tapping a set screw into an arca-swiss plate and setting the screw into the rubber armor. Any ideas or products that would work would be appreciated.

a few centimetres of PTFE tape (much beloved by plumbers) around the thread on the quick release plate should help. Check it is snug at the start of each day you use the ‘scope

I have an ATC and use it with a Gitzo Mountaineer and Gitzo fluid head - i don’t use the arca plate that came with the head, but instead use the PGYTech Arca type plate. Not had an issue with the scope twisting, and very secure when clamped into the head, carried over shoulder. The plate is smaller and neater, and works in conjunction with the head security pin to stop the scope slipping out of the mount.

PTFE tape may be the better option as Threadlocker Blue may require the application of heat to break the seal if the plate has to be removed for any reason. Wouldn't relish the idea of applying heat to my £2000 scope - if I had one!

RB

PTFE tape may be the better option as Threadlocker Blue may require the application of heat to break the seal if the plate has to be removed for any reason. Wouldn't relish the idea of applying heat to my £2000 scope - if I had one!

RB
Blue releases pretty easily but acts as a 'lock washer'. It does not - in my experience - require heat. I would not hesitate to use it on a foot, if intention was to keep it from casually rotating off.

I saw a guy with an ATC on my local reserve today.
First time I have seen one “in the flesh” as it were.

I had a quick chat and the guy was clearly very enamoured with his little telescope. I asked him about attachment to his quick release plate/tripod (he carried the ‘scope on the tripod with the tripod balanced on his shoulder).

He was happy to tell me he did need to use anything to make the ‘scope stay on the quick release plate other than double checking it was snug before starting his birding day.

This might or might not work for you but just reporting in on one birder’s experience

He was happy to tell me he did need to use anything to make the ‘scope stay on the quick release plate other than double checking it was snug before starting his birding day.

Hi,

this could have been me a few years ago... until the day when the group I was with decided to relocate a few kilometers by car. When I put my mulepack back on, it felt a bit funny after a few steps... I took it off and the scope was wobbling around held by the last thread or two... obviously the vibrations during the short drive were just right to loosen the thread this time...

No harm done luckily (it was my cherry TSN-3) but I applied loctite blue as soon as I arrived at home...

Joachim

I have been thinking of 3D printing a plate that is a combination of their funky plastic hand guard thingy and an arca swiss plate. Maybe just the front part of the plastic thing with a plate attached so you can still work the focus ring. The plate would be put at the balance point of the scope.

There is the purple loctite 222 series that does not require heat to disassemble. ICYMI:

One question for ATC users: Does the focuser feel plasticky and slow? I've recently briefly handled one in my local shop while in the area, built quality all seems very good except for the focuser. Might go back with my current scope to do more in depth comparison just for curiosity.

There is the purple loctite 222 series that does not require heat to disassemble. ICYMI:

One question for ATC users: Does the focuser feel plasticky and slow? I've recently briefly handled one in my local shop while in the area, built quality all seems very good except for the focuser. Might go back with my current scope to do more in depth comparison just for curiosity.

It feels similar like the STX scope for me...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back