• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Old model Televid APO 62mm (1 Viewer)

pluton

Hi,
Is the old model "Leica APO Televid 62mm + zoom eyepiece still a good spotting scope? In the sense of providing good optical and mechanical quality? At the" alpha "level?
Thanks in advance.
Pluto

Hi,

in general good examples of older scope models can still offer a very good view - even better than those examples of current alpha scopes made on a monday...

But since sample variation exists even for alpha brands, I would only buy a used instrument if I could either inspect it personally or from a dealer with a no questions asked return policy (that also extends to used instruments).

With older Leica scopes one should look for coating damage - they had some problems with their coatings not being very resistant to salt water in the past...

Joachim

Agree with Joachim. I think that the coatings issue blighted the 77 model more than the 62. I'm still using a 'cherry' APO 62 bought new in 2004 and I haven't found anything to beat it - a superb scope. I have the zoom and 26xWW (30x on 77), a useful second eyepiece to have if you can find one. As with all optics, it's down to what suits you.

RB

Agree with Joachim. I think that the coatings issue blighted the 77 model more than the 62. I'm still using a 'cherry' APO 62 bought new in 2004 and I haven't found anything to beat it - a superb scope. I have the zoom and 26xWW (30x on 77), a useful second eyepiece to have if you can find one. As with all optics, it's down to what suits you.

RB
I have the APO 62 also and agree with RB that a good one is hard to beat. It is worth bearing in mind that these 62 and 77 Televids were actually manufactured by Meopta not Leica. They were sold with the Leica badge and were possibly assembled by them. I’m not sure the current range of Televids, which are wholly manufactured by Leica I understand, are optically as good?

Peter

I’m not sure the current range of Televids, which are wholly manufactured by Leica I understand, are optically as good?

I have seen one current 82mm in a store which should never have left the factory - the shopkeeper was not too happy with it...

A few others from fellow birders in the field were ok.

Joachim

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back