• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Regarding Nikon Se (1 Viewer)

...If the covers are coming off they can be easily re-glued with Loktite Glue and it will hold out for a year or more before it needs to be done again and that's with heavy use; with light use it will last longer. The glue comes in small bottles with a small brush in the lid. There are different kinds of glue for different repairs...

To anyone worried about peeling armor on the Nikon EII or any other binocular, camera, or similar, please read my post here
http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?p=1879965&highlight=vhb+adhesive#post1879965

This stuff is easy to work with, allows for a completely clean fix (looks like new), and is a permanent (but reversible) solution. Way better than epoxies and super glues.

--AP

...When you consider the optical quality is very similar, you realize that the 8x30 EIIs were a steal back when they first came out and sold for about $350...

They were an even better deal in the 2-3 years before they were discontinued in the USA. During that period they could usually be had for $250 or less. I recommended them to a lot of folks back then.

--AP

Just a quick comment on the SE's color rendition comparing it to my own eyes, looking at various flora outside my home. Perfectly neutral--not overly warm or cool--just accurate. Good contrast. The clarity is tremendous and in sparkling 3-D. Loving these the more I use them. Learning to keep adjusting the IPD to minimize the black-outs.

And I will take these to Alaska next week to see how they do (OK maybe not on a whale-watching boat) with the weather and cold, watching pelagic birds from the bow/stern.

Is`nt it wonderful that in this day and age of dielectrics, phase correction and ED glass everywhere that two old Porro`s are so loved, revered and desired ?

Just a quick comment on the SE's color rendition comparing it to my own eyes, looking at various flora outside my home. Perfectly neutral--not overly warm or cool--just accurate. Good contrast. The clarity is tremendous and in sparkling 3-D. Loving these the more I use them. Learning to keep adjusting the IPD to minimize the black-outs.

And I will take these to Alaska next week to see how they do (OK maybe not on a whale-watching boat) with the weather and cold, watching pelagic birds from the bow/stern.

I agree, that's one of the things I really like about the 8x32 SE, the true-to-life color rendition.

The EIIs are a bit warmer, which gives the impression of the image being brighter, ditto for the HGL, although with the HGL the color palette is skewed too warm, IMO.

The deep reds in the SE are orangey in the HGL and blues a bit purplish. I've compared the two side by side.

In bright light, the HGL's image can look too bright. Looking at brightly lit surfaces can cause a loss of detail ("wash out"). Perhaps better for hunting than birding where true colors are less important than brightness.

<B>

I've joined the SE club. I also ordered the 8x32 from Optics Planet. It looks like everyone raised the price on these in the last couple of days. I got them for $613 delivered (on backorder). The price on Optics Planet is now $829. I'm anxious to see if they measure up to their reputation.

I've joined the SE club. I also ordered the 8x32 from Optics Planet. It looks like everyone raised the price on these in the last couple of days. I got them for $613 delivered (on backorder). The price on Optics Planet is now $829. I'm anxious to see if they measure up to their reputation.

Bones:

Welcome to the Birdforum. The Nikon SE is a very nice binocular, and
I think you will be impressed.

Tell us more when you get yours, and how you may compare them to
other optics you have.

Jerry

I also have a pair of Swift Audubon 8.5x44 ED (820) that I like a lot. It's my first pair of porros and I really enjoy the 3D view they bring. I noticed some discussion in this thread about the relative value of the SE's. Given the astronomical prices of the alpha roof binos, (Swarovskis,the usual suspects...) how can the SE's not be a bargain? That's me - master of the blatantly obvious. I love reading these threads. They prove there are LOTS of us obsessed bino enthusiasts out there. Hello everyone.

Welcome Bones!

Step into our Web.... ;)

I cancelled my SE order from O.P. last week (and gave up a decent price too--about the same as yours) because they were already over 6 weeks into the order and I'd found mine on eBay.

You really did get it at a good price, especially now that they've jacked it up!

Let us know when you receive it (be patient with Optics Planet ) and how much you enjoy it.

Bones I`m sure you`ll love your new bin.

I find my SE ruins me for other binoculars.

On Monday I tried a mint 8x32 Meopta at LCE Exeter, up till now my favourite 32mm roof, well it was a black bodied model, truly mint and a good buy at £450.

All I could concentrate on was the hitherto unseen distortion that was now glaringly obvious.

No two ways about it, the SE really does show you how it should be done.

Torview - funny you should mention Meopta. I have a pair of the 10x42 Meostar HD from them. Nice glass. However when I ask family to compare them to the Swift 8.5x44ED porros I have, they prefer the Swift. I wish I had been porro edified ages ago.

I haven't used my 8x32 SE since February after getting the 8x32 Swarovision. So I leave it outside for 45 minutes in the standard rain (mid downpour) for tropical country by putting it flat on top of my car. Upon checking by cleaning both objective and eyepiece lens, no problem at all with fogging, water get into the barrel etc.

As some of you know that I work as a bird guide, walking in the rainforest when it is raining is a risky move because of fallen branches etc. So when it is raining, I do not go out birding. So the test above was my 1st to the see how the non-waterproof SE is problem for users in the rain.

Cleaned it up and now back inside my dry box hehehe :king:

Last edited:
I haven't used my 8x32 SE since February after getting the 8x32 Swarovision. So I leave it outside for 45 minutes in the standard rain (mid downpour) for tropical country by putting it flat on top of my car. Upon checking by cleaning both objective and eyepiece lens, no problem at all with fogging, water get into the barrel etc.

As some of you know that I work as a bird guide, walking in the rainforest when it is raining is a risky move because of fallen branches etc. So when it is raining, I do not go out birding. So the test above was my 1st to the see how the non-waterproof SE is problem for users in the rain.

Cleaned it up and now back inside my dry box hehehe :king:

That seems quite a brave thing to do! But Thanks for that as it's a good indication of how much weather they can live through.

A Little off topic, I put in what I thought was a low bid on eBay for a pair of Nikon 8x32 EDG. I was surprised when I won the auction from Eagle Optics for $1025. EDG II 8x32. So I'll have the SE and EDG in 8x32 for less than the MSRP of the EDG alone. I'm a happy camper!

Last edited:
A Little off topic, I put in what I thought was a low bid on eBay for a pair of Nikon 8x32 EDG. I was surprised when I won the auction from Eagle Optics for $1025. EDG II 8x32. So I'll have the SE and EDG in 8x32 for less than the MSRP for the EDG alone. I'm a happy camper!

Bones:

You did very well in that auction |=)|, both are very good binoculars, and do
come back and give us your thoughts after you have compared them.

Don't be in a hurry, it takes several days under different conditions to
really compare optics well.

Jerry

Hey Jerry,

Will do. I'm sort of a bino beginner but I can at least describe what I see and the differences. I wasn't really ready to get the EDG but it was a smokin' deal.

Gary
aka bones

Yes. Take your time in comparing them. I got a 10 x 32 EDG I three years ago and compared it then under various conditions with my 10 x 42 SE, which was an older model. I concluded that they were both outstanding binoculars. Hardly a dime's worth of difference in their views with the EDG having a wider FOV by about 1/2 a degree. The 42's are a bit brighter at twilight but that was to be expected.

Yours are both 32's so it should be interesting.

Bob

A Little off topic, I put in what I thought was a low bid on eBay for a pair of Nikon 8x32 EDG. I was surprised when I won the auction from Eagle Optics for $1025. EDG II 8x32. So I'll have the SE and EDG in 8x32 for less than the MSRP of the EDG alone. I'm a happy camper!

Ah, the luck of the Irish! B :)

Bet you win big at the roulette table too. ;)

<B>

You did well!

I am looking forward to your comments on the differences in the view between the 8X32 EDG and SE. I have yet to see an 8X32 SE and am curious as to how they compare to my 8X32 EG-II.

I did get a chance to compare my 10X42 EDG-II with a current 10X42 SE for several days. The core component parts of the view, such as brightness, resolution, contrast, etc, were very similar. That was expected with both being Nikon's high end lenses. However there was a noticeable difference in the presentation of the view. I believe that is due to the porro vs a roof. Even though the magnification is the same, subjects appear somewhat smaller in the porro but at a more realistic scale. The roof made it easier to concentrate on the separate subjects in the view and the porro gave a little more true to life overall view. I did not think one presentation was better than the other, it all depended on what the viewing goal was at the moment. I would expect the presentation difference to be a somewhat more noticeable in the 8X with the larger field of view.

I was also surprised there was not more activity on the Eagle Optics EDG closeout auctions over the last month. I suspect very few people have looked through an EDG because they are so hard to find at stores here is the states. Many are reluctant to buy a binocular they have never seen. They do not know what they missed out on, so their loss was your gain!

All of the alphas have their strengths and weakness. When comparing the overall package, the EDG is as good as any of them. I think you will appreciate the flat view without rolling ball and the focus mechanism is about the best available. I hope you enjoy your new EDG.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back