• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

John's mammals 2007 (1 Viewer)

Last time I did the sums I was somewhere in the mid-30s. That includes a reasonable cetacean tally but I obviously need to work on my small brown jobs!

Stuart

I reckon I've seen about 31 in my lifetime. I've certainly seen brown long-eared bats and I think that Pipistrelle's are the most common around my house (but maybe they are soprano pipistrelles?).

Among the cetaceans I've certainly seen BN dolphin, porpoise and Minke Whale, but I've also seen another type of dolphin from the Islay ferry that I couldn't identify - White-beaked, white-sided, common? - all I know is it had light and dark patterns along the side.

Farnboro John said:
Polecat is really hard and I have only seen two ever, ona random sighting basis. Thye are now much more widespread than say ten years ago and you may wish to check out the Vincent Wildlife Trust/Mammal Society survey, especially the newsletters.

Wildcat is very very difficult but the consensus among people I have talked and e-mailed with seems to be West Coast, young pine plantations and "cairns" which more probably means tumbled scree slopes. Ardnamurchan is probably as good an area as anywhere to try and gives excellent prospects of Pine Martena and Otter as well: in summer the cetacean watching from Ardnamurchan Point can be terrific. On one trip (June 2004) I got 3 Minke Whales, 20+ Common Dolphins and a White-beaked Dolphin in an evening.

John

I think I have seen two road-killed Polecats, both on the same road (A66). Would much prefer to see a live one!

Had a brief trip to Ardnamurchan late last year, although I plan to return to explore the area in much more detail, hopefully ending in a night drive.

Spent much of my last visit looking for Otter with no success. However, wasn't too disappointed as it was my only dip of the holiday.

As for Wildcat, if I was lucky enough to see one, I don't think I would be confident enough to distinguish it fom a feral.

Cheers for the advice John. I will follow this thread with interest.

Just done a quick add up, make it 44, highlights being self-found Orca, Humpback Whale two Bearded Seals, Brandt's Bat in the hand (being released by a registered bat worker) and each and every Otter I manage to see! Must do a Mammal year list some time. (Once John's done the leg-work and got all the sites sussed!)

Best of luck mate

James

Andrew03 said:
89! - shocking! Does black rat still occur - i'd a feeling i'd read it had gone from the UK?

Any possibility of posting the full list of 89ish?

Cheers
Andrew

Black rat is still found on the Shiant Islands off Stornoway and in some docks - but is damn near impossible to see, which is why I was annoyed when they were eliminated from Lundy. How many Puffins does Britain need, anyway?

Like everything else these days the list is subject to individual preference: some will count everything others will leave out bits. Even Homo sapiens has been debated as being countable. Some of the discussions on particular species are elsewhere on this forum. The list includes everything I have heard or read about: there are more American bats on the list than I thought a year ago!

Of the arguably dodgy ones I count Feral Goat and Wild Boar but not Steller's Sealion, Red-necked Wallaby or Reindeer. I have not included any big cats, even the lynx sp. I once saw myself.

Red-necked Wallaby
Hedgehog
Mole
Pygmy Shrew
Common Shrew
Water Shrew
Lesser White-toothed Shrew
Common Pipistrelle
Soprano Pipistrelle
Nathusius's Pipistrelle
Kuhl's Pipistrelle
Greater Horsehoe Bat
Lesser Horseshoe Bat
Barbastelle
Daubenton's Bat
Natterer's Bat
Brandt's Bat
Whiskered Bat
Northern Bat
Parti-coloured Bat
Pond Bat
Brown Long-eared Bat
Grey Long-eared Bat
Mouse-eared Bat
Bechstein's Bat
Little Brown Bat
Big Brown Bat
Hoary Bat
Silver-haired Bat
Mexican Free-tailed Bat (by Air)
European Free-tailed Bat
Brown hare
Mountain Hare
Rabbit
Eastern Grey Squirrel
Red Squirrel
Edible Dormouse
Brown Rat
Black Rat
House Mouse
Harvest Mouse
Wood Mouse
Yellow-necked Mouse
Bank Vole
Common Vole
Field Vole
Water Vole
Blue Whale
Fin Whale
Sei Whale
Minke Whale
Humpback Whale
Sperm Whale
Northern Bottlenose Whale
Beluga
Narwhal
Orca
Risso's Dolphin
Long-finned Pilot Whale
Bottlenose Dolphin
Common Dolphin (do we get both or just short-beaked?)
Atlantic White-sided Dolphin
White-beaked Dolphin
Harbour Porpoise
Walrus
Common Seal
Atlantic Grey Seal
Harp Seal
Ringed Seal
Bearded Seal
Hooded Seal
(Steller's Sealion)
Red Fox
Wildcat
Weasel
Stoat
Polecat
Mink
Pine Marten
Otter
Badger
Feral Goat
Muntjac
Chinese Water Deer
Roe Deer
Fallow Deer
Red Deer
Sika Deer
(Reindeer)
Wild Boar

Speaking of Wild Boar I finally got a frame filler yesterday so will give directions later when I find the map.

John

Last edited:
Black rat is still found on the Shiant Islands off Stornoway and in some docks - but is damn near impossible to see,

Was still present in Hyde Park in 2002 at least. Worth feeding the squirrels on a day trip?!

When looking at rats, remember Black also comes in Brown and other shades. They are also more mouse like and a damn sight cuter than Brown. Think Common Gull to Ring-Billed!

Cheers
Kev

Speaking of mammal 'brown jobs' ,- voles, shrews, mice etc. - I heard that distinguishing between them in the field is in a great deal of cases impossible, even when given good views, and most of the times hand examination and even using a sense of smell (when mice are concerned - and House Mouse is characteristic in that respect) is required!

Hence my question (and sorry for OT)- which is the best mammal guide (for the whole of Europe, not only UK) currently available? If I am ever to tick any voles, I need some really reliable literature, something which is a mammal equivalent of "Collins" or Jonnsson's bird guides. Is there at all a reliable mammal guide that covers all the mammal families?

BTW, there are 20 items on my Polish list - no bats, no shrews, no voles yet, but there is Common Seal, Grey Seal (seals are only accidental in Poland), Elk, Beaver, Otter, Chamois.

mikus said:
Speaking of mammal 'brown jobs' ,- voles, shrews, mice etc. - I heard that distinguishing between them in the field is in a great deal of cases impossible, even when given good views, and most of the times hand examination and even using a sense of smell (when mice are concerned - and House Mouse is characteristic in that respect) is required!

Hence my question (and sorry for OT)- which is the best mammal guide (for the whole of Europe, not only UK) currently available? If I am ever to tick any voles, I need some really reliable literature, something which is a mammal equivalent of "Collins" or Jonnsson's bird guides. Is there at all a reliable mammal guide that covers all the mammal families?

BTW, there are 20 items on my Polish list - no bats, no shrews, no voles yet, but there is Common Seal, Grey Seal (seals are only accidental in Poland), Elk, Beaver, Otter, Chamois.

It probably depend what species you are distinguishing between. It is only late last century that it was finally realised that Orkney Voles were Common Vole and not a large island race of Field (=Short-tailed) Vole. Since Common Vole in Britain is limited to Orkney we don't have too many problems with vole ID. Wood Mouse from Yellow-necked is theoretically a problem because there is overlap in the pelage and size but classic individuals are not at all difficult.

There is a Collins mammals guide which is not at all bad, and various photographic guides (including one published by Collins) that allow you to take a view on the merits of artwork in text/plate guides.

John

Sorry about absence for a few days - IT problems.

I promised Wild Boar directions once I had a decent photo - its on Surfbirds in the Mammals gallery, see what you think. Could have been slightly sharper, but it was running full tilt in the dark.

The venue is Beckley Woods (or sometimes its known as Beckley Forest) between Beckley and Peasmarsh in East Sussex. Access from the A268 at Beckley, take the road south from the mini-roundabout and turn left just by the derestricted sign onto a minor road. At crossroads take the left turn towards Udimore, follow that until a minor road called Starvecrow lane again on left. Follow Starvecrow lane to a Forest Enterprise access gate signed Beckley Forest.

On foot follow vehicle track through woodland, past clearing on right, through s-bend between large garden on left and pine plantation on right. Track straightens and drops down hill: you will find extensive boar sign on track, both hoofprints in and out of woods at their habitual access points and turf snouted up. Pick a spot to stand at the side of the track and wait. Stillness and silence are absolutely paramount. The boars have good hearing and will not come out if they hear people.

Tip: First boar action is usually soon after first Tawny Owl call. Its a great place for Tawnies, just before Xmas I called one out into a tree and actually saw it for once. 4 to 6 males calling is typical. The place is also good for Marsh Tit and in summer I have seen Glow-worms.

Most of the boars will emerge from the pine on the right. They will come to bait (spuds, carrots, onions, apples chopped to release scent) but are very wary and once aware of you are likely to bolt.

There are other tracks in the woods that will yield sightings, this one is my favourite.

Have fun

John

Saturday added Muntjac to the yearlist and photographed male and female down to about ten yards. Unfortunately the location is confidential - but Muntjac is an easy species to see, three good sites being Fowlmere RSPB, Linford Arboretum and Little Brickhill (opposite the golf course and good for Chinese Water Deer as well).

Had a walk around Hedgerley (where a Two-barred Crossbill was a few winters ago) but found the pond that held a Water Shrew deserted and didn't see any mustellids either despite quite a lot of birders having scored on Stoat and/or Weasel at the site during the 2bXb stay. Lots of Red Kites though!

Other than that Brown Hares at Greywell were the only decent mammals of the weekend.

John

The Pacific Diver in Yorkshire generated a bonus day out so having got my fill of its charms I dropped down to Derbyshire and went looking for Mountain Hares along Derwent Edge. Though the weather was fine, the wind on top of the hills was brutal and the hares were sensibly snugged down in the heather and behind boulders. Three hours work got me two nice white ones (last time I was up there I saw 12) only revealed by falling over them so pictures limited to rear view action shots.

The only raptor in the time was a single Kestrel, which is shocking when compared to NE Hampshire where you can't move for Buzzards and we see more and more Red Kites.

John

Slightly frustrating weekend in which I would love to have been up at the Firth of Forth but was booked to visit James in North wales and a deal is a deal. Discounting that, had a good time with cracking Wild Goats near Beddgelert exactly as advertised on Nature's Calendar. Biggest horns I've seen on a UK goat, and no way were they allowing close approach. Good pix from the far side of a wall, which didn't seem to disturb them too much.

Also picked up Common Seal fro the year at Llanfairfechan on Sunday, and sadly saw a dead Polecat on the A5 near Shrewsbury on the way home yesterday evening along with huge amounts of ordinary roadkill.

John

A pox on all birders who don't put news out even after an RFI: I would have been at the Firth of Forth this morning if the Orcas had gone on before I went finally to bed at ten yesterday.

Maybe tomorrow.....

John

So I set off at 7:30 Thursday evening and got through the Midlands without incident. After 3 hours sleep at relations' in Cumbria I reached North Queensferry as it got light. Six hours later I was still there, whaleless.

The odd local came past, then another local told me the exact track the Orcas had been sticking to, and mentioned that his wife had seen them upstream of the bridges.
As I was by now looking straight into the sun I moved to South Queensferry where I fell asleep standing up scanning through my scope and nearly pitched forward over a 20 foot drop.

Not long after that I glanced left between the rail bridge piers and just caught a glimpse of a black fin slipping behind one of the stone supports. I ran through under the bridge and quickly refound the Orca apparently fishing in the deep channel. I rang RBA at once. Between then (about 2:30?) and 4pm, I had occasional views and saw all the diagnostic features (I moved back to North Queensferry eventually as the whale moved closer to that side, and viewed from right under the road bridge). I also saw two Grey Seals, in the water but sticking very close to big rocks they could haul out on quickly.

The trip back is best forgotten, especially the Birmingham M6 bit where the spray was so thick I couldn't actually see to overtake trucks. Very scary. Got home 0100 Saturday.

Cracking beast, worth the hard trip.

John

Something I forgot from the other Friday: as I was walking back up the slope under the Forth Road Bridge at North Queensferry I saw my first black Rabbit of the year.

Anyway, on to this weekend: Dorset on Sunday with Clare, morning spent around Portland looking for a bunch of Bottlenoses that had been there Friday. No success with the dolphins but grand views and pix of 3 Purple Sandpipers at the Bill and several Great Northern Divers in the harbour. No sign of 120 Red-throats: maybe a slip of the pager for R-b Mergansers that were present in profusion?

Afternoon spent at Arne after Sikas. A revelation for me, I've always seen them at Hartland Moor where they are generally distant. Up at Shipstal Point you can practically walk up to them and observe stags feeding on pine needles by standing on hind legs at very close range! The camera was clicking like mad. Best Sika views I've ever had, and heard them calling for the first time as well. Must go back in summer when they're spotty.

After that we raced up to Ibsley for the Bewicks and finished off with two cracking male Hen Harriers at Black Gutter Bottom.

More like that please!

John

Four Roe Deer (two does and two last year's fawns) on the lawn outside the office yesterday morning as well as the usual hordes of Grey Squirrels. Its not a bad place to work in some ways....

John

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back