• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birds fae Torry (13 Viewers)

A brisk northwesterly and regular showers gave some hoped for seawatching today, so that was where most of my attention went. It was mostly rather quiet but the highlight were a few groups of Whooper Swans coming through: three groups totalling 15 birds. Other wildfowl moving included a Goldeneye and five Mallard. 15 Red-throated Divers also passed through but little else was moving. A Long-tailed Duck was in the industrial complex we used to call Nigg Bay. There was also a bit of progress on the Purple Sandpiper Totaliser:

I suspect more are about, as this wasn't quite the high tide roost. A Lapwing clipped southwards over the Battery.

Attachments

• Whooper Swan_Girdle Ness_271019a.jpg
    Whooper Swan_Girdle Ness_271019a.jpg
    422.5 KB · Views: 33
  • Whooper Swan_Girdle Ness_271019b.jpg
    Whooper Swan_Girdle Ness_271019b.jpg
    354.6 KB · Views: 37
A fairly mucky day here but the rain mostly relented by late morning. There were certainly a few birds new in with thrushes quite prominent. Lots of Blackbirds and there were also 18 Redwings, a Fieldfare, three Song Thrushes and, along Victoria Road, my first Mistle Thrush of the year. Migrants weren't all that obvious otherwise, however, with just a single Goldcrest and a female Blackcap. A pair of Stonechats were along the north side of the golf course.

A tramp around the Battery almost simultaneously brought up a Woodcock and a more showy Short-eared Owl. We also had a bit of upward momentum on the Purple Sandpiper Totaliser:

Another rainy day in Torry, with some prolonged and heavy showers. The rain only relented enough for me to cover the Nigg Bay area. I had the distinct impression of things being 'interesting' so it would have been good to cover more of the area.

The highlight was my first flock of Waxwings of the winter, which were in the rowans just uphill from Tullos School. There were nine in total, mostly adults, and they posed nicely before disappearing up the hill.

Thrushes were again prominent with at least three Mistle Thrushes and a Fieldfare. Other migrants were less conspicuous but again included a Blackcap and a Goldcrest. Two White Wagtails were on the rooftops in Torry and six Grey Wagtails was a high count.

The marsh (or the 'Torry Washes' as I'm tempted to call it at the moment) held 18 Mallard, at least eight Moorhens and a Snipe. The most left field sighting of the day was a Shelduck flying above the railway line towards the sea. I suspect that might be the first I've seen here in November.

Attachments

• Waxwing_Torry_031119a.jpg
    Waxwing_Torry_031119a.jpg
    173.1 KB · Views: 35
  • Waxwing_Torry_031119b.jpg
    Waxwing_Torry_031119b.jpg
    212 KB · Views: 13
  • Waxwing_Torry_031119c.jpg
    Waxwing_Torry_031119c.jpg
    139.3 KB · Views: 38
  • Waxwing_Torry_031119d.jpg
    Waxwing_Torry_031119d.jpg
    217.6 KB · Views: 31
A cold day here in Torry and the birds were fairly wintery too. A couple of Mistle Thrushes were again in the Victoria Road area. Despite searching, the Nigg Bay area was pretty quiet with a Bullfinch and a Goldcrest the best of the passerines. Two Water Rails were seen fairly well along the Tullos Burn. This species has been inconspicuous since early in the year, so it's good to see them around again.

It was very quiet around the Ness in the afternoon. I had some hopes things might be happening offshore but the only birds of note were three Teal north and a Common Scoter on the sea.

Attachments

• Mistle Thrush_Torry_091119a.jpg
    Mistle Thrush_Torry_091119a.jpg
    113.2 KB · Views: 32
26 Waxwings at the junction of Tullos Place/Tullos Crescent at 11.15am.Plenty berries to keep them there but the local Magpies are disturbing them.

I was away most of this weekend but I did get out around Nigg Bay yesterday morning. The highlight was a large flock of around 60 Siskins feeding in the alders. I think this is probably the biggest flock I've ever seen here. Other birds included four Mistle Thrushes, a Redwing, a Bullfinch, a Goldcrest and several Long-tailed Tits. A couple of Water Rails were calling.

It's a bit quiet on this thread but if you think that means it's been quiet for birds lately... you'd probably be right.

Last Saturday was fairly gloomy. A fairly thorough look around produced a Common Scoter offshore and a Snipe, two calling Water Rails, 14 Long-tailed Tits in two groups and two Siskins around Nigg Bay.

A quick look around on Thursday didn't produce much aside from two Redwings at the Battery and some solid action on the Purple Sandpiper Totaliser:

Today was icy but clear with a reasonable amount of activity around Nigg Bay. The best was a Treecreeper along the railway embankment. There were also seven Bullfinches, a Goldcrest and two Snipe. 60 Pink-footed Geese flew north over Victoria Road.

Attachments

• Turnstone_Girdle Ness_231119a.jpg
    Turnstone_Girdle Ness_231119a.jpg
    227.8 KB · Views: 17
  • Linnet_Girdle Ness_301119a.jpg
    Linnet_Girdle Ness_301119a.jpg
    339.9 KB · Views: 17
  • Linnet_Girdle Ness_301119b.jpg
    Linnet_Girdle Ness_301119b.jpg
    327.1 KB · Views: 21
  • Linnet_Girdle Ness_301119c.jpg
    Linnet_Girdle Ness_301119c.jpg
    227.1 KB · Views: 21
Back in Torry after a bit of a hiatus. It was rather a fine day with a reasonable amount of bird activity to get the patch year list underway. The Nigg Bay area was first up. It was mostly the usual stuff but two Bullfinches, a Snipe, a Goldcrest and a Siskin were good. A pair of Water Rails were calling and a group of 37 Pink-footed Geese went north.

Things were quiet around the Ness but the big news was happening on the Purple Sandpiper Totaliser:

Woah! That is, I'm pleased to say, an all-time record. I'll be on the blower to Norris McWhirter.

Yes, poor Roy, I liked him. You know it was the first time I'd heard of such a thing as passive smoking!

Back on thread.... great news that for the Purple Sandpipers isn't it!

A fairly casual stroll around the Nigg Bay marshes this afternoon produced some good views of a couple of Water Rails around the reedbed. At least three birds were calling. Not too much else about, although there was a Mistle Thrush around Baxter Place.

Have been a bit slow in updating things lately. Last weekend was midly interesting. On 25th, a Treecreeper was just off Victoria Road (see picture). It's another species that seems to be getting more frequent these days. This was my sixth record in the last three years or so, although it's unusual to get one in the early part of the year. In the Nigg Bay area, a Woodcock was flushed at very close range. A Peregrine cruised over and there was also a Bullfinch.

Today was quieter. The best were probably three Redwings and a Collared Dove in Torry. Not much was around Nigg Bay, although there was a Goldcrest and a Water Rail was calling from the reedbed.

Attachments

• Treecreeper_Torry_250120.jpg
    Treecreeper_Torry_250120.jpg
    349.1 KB · Views: 28
Not too much around in the wind today. Two Fulmars were my first of the year and a Red-throated Diver gave good views as it flew into the harbour. Also lots of Bottlenose Dolphin happenings, as there often has been so far this year. And a high, but not totaliser busting, 245 Purple Sandpipers roosting.

Attachments

• RT Diver_Girdle Ness_080220a.jpg
    RT Diver_Girdle Ness_080220a.jpg
    123.7 KB · Views: 28
A similar selection of birds was around in the wind today. The Purple Sandpiper total was up to 253. Twenty Pink-footed Geese went north and there were two Redwings in Torry.

Gosh! Those sandpipers are doing really well aren't they Andrew.

I don't remember you having counts like that for a long time.

I popped out round Nigg Bay for a bit of fresh air this afternoon, not expecting to see much in breezy conditions. It turned out to be quite interesting though. A pair of Teal on the burn were my first of the year. A Snipe was in the marsh. Better were a pair of Stock Doves, up in their usual position on Tullos Hill. Things improved further when two Ravens flew south across the bay from the golf course.

On the way back home things turned really weird. I was walking up between the houses just off Balnagask Road when I noticed a small bird scuttling about on the grass out of the corner of my eye. It turned out to be a Siberian Chiffchaff, and proceeded to hop about on the pavement and steps. It was possibly eyeing up the nearby fat ball feeders, which normally just get lots of House Sparrows. I've been hoping for one this winter but didn't expect one to turn up in such an unlikely situation.

Attachments

• Siberian Chiffchaff_Torry_100220b.jpg
    Siberian Chiffchaff_Torry_100220b.jpg
    297.7 KB · Views: 44
  • Siberian Chiffchaff_Torry_100220c.jpg
    Siberian Chiffchaff_Torry_100220c.jpg
    211.5 KB · Views: 49
  • Siberian Chiffchaff_Torry_100220d.jpg
    Siberian Chiffchaff_Torry_100220d.jpg
    299.4 KB · Views: 33
  • Siberian Chiffchaff_Torry_100220e.jpg
    Siberian Chiffchaff_Torry_100220e.jpg