• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Kingfishers (8 Viewers)

After more rain and high water levels, the Kingfisher was back again Sunday, down the back of the Uni.
A few Grey Wagtails and singing Greenfinch and Chaffinch. A Little Egret was back.

Friday it was good to see a Kingfisher back along the River Rea, that's the first time I've seen one on the Rea in a few weeks.
Earlier in the week it was seen at Stirchley.
Along the Bourn Brook walkway there is a new blue bridge. Friday I saw the Kingfisher fly under it.
The Kingfisher is back regular along the River Cole.

Planning to do walks round my end of Trittiford as my one exercise on some days!
Cannot go to the reserves anymore :(

Will let you know what I find :)

Long walk past Sarehole Mill then up to Tritiford Pond. As my one outdoor exercise today.

Little excursion past there yielded three kingfisher fly-bys:) On the stretch near the sluice.

Not sure if it was the same one 3 times or 3 different?

Julie

Long walk past Sarehole Mill then up to Tritiford Pond. As my one outdoor exercise today.

Little excursion past there yielded three kingfisher fly-bys:) On the stretch near the sluice.

Not sure if it was the same one 3 times or 3 different?

Julie

Good to hear Julie! Yes seen them along there this year and previous years.

My exercise has been along the Bourn Brook but since the beginning of the week; no Kingfisher.
So yesterday my run included the River Rea. Nothing along the old usual stretch.
So I stopped to check a hidden section. I've not checked it for ages. Maybe last year.
I looked for a clearing to see the river and at the same time heard a few, short distinctive calls.
I thought there was a possibility and sure enough, when I looked at the river, a female Kingfisher flew past with a fish. Talk about good timing.
If I'd been on the bicycle I might not have stopped or heard it.
I saw it once more and left it to it.

A few, maybe more Grey Wagtails along the Bourn Brook, they sing from the street lights, there were 2 singing next to each other. One was singing from the roof of a building, looking down on the brook.

Last edited:
March was a good month for Kingfisher along the River Rea, Cole and the Bourn Brook.
I was lucky a couple times to see the pair of Kingfisher fly up and then down the Bourn Brook.
Then they disappeared.
I made a visit to the River Tame, under Spaghetti junction and first saw one and then two Kingfisher.
I've run to the River Rea a couple times and the Kingfisher is still there.

Out for my exercise, its either the Rea, Cole or Bourn Brook.
The Kingfisher has gone missing along the Bourn Brook.
Yesterday on my run, good to find one and then another Kingfisher along the Rea. The second one was a surprise on my way back on an extended I might as well have a look whilst I'm here run.
It was then topped off by a Blackcap warbling, a very high Buzzard & maybe a distant Swallow.

As above, Sunday I did it again. Two Kingfisher along the River Rea. They were more than a mile apart. I'd reached my turning off point on my exercise cycle ride. There were a couple with their dogs in the Rea. But I waited and was lucky to hear the calls in the distance & then a Kingfisher flew past.
Yesterday back out for a run and I just saw the Kingfisher along the Rea.

Good on Twitter to see other Kingfisher sightings on the Rea & at Kings Norton NR. On Sunday for my exercise i took a bike ride to and along the River Rea. Good to see a Kingfisher at one location where I'd not seen one for a few weeks. I saw another further along and then one at Kings Norton.

Rob saw the Kingfisher again at Lifford res.
I went out for my bike ride yesterday to the River Rea & heard a Kingfisher call along the river.

Rob saw the Kingfisher again at Lifford.
The vegetation is getting long on the River Rea.
I heard the 2 tone call of the Kingfisher which was good enough after the River Cole Kingfisher.
Reports then of another Kingfisher further along the Rea.

After the River Cole Kingfisher, the River Rea Kingfisher on Saturday.
Sunday the same again with another Kingfisher further along, it was really lucky to see it as it cut the corner and flew over to avoid me.
I looked up at the right time to see it go past.
Sunday evening it was good to give Phil advice via twitter and he saw the Kingfisher on Lifford Res.
Today just out for a quick cycle ride and the Kingfisher again along the River Rea.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back