• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Collins Bird Songs & Calls of Britain & N. Europe (1 Viewer)

AnnieW

I'd like to start trying to identify birds by call and this looked quite a good guide at a fairly reasonable price. As a fairly novice birder, I like the fact that it is organised by habitat.

Before I use one of my Christmas book tokens - any views on how useful this 2 CD fields guide is.

Annie

I don't have that one but I'm sure it would be money well spent - Collins seem to have an excellent reputation. But, I wonder if you already have the excellent "CD-ROM Guide to British Birds", yet, Annie? That has bird calls and so much else (videos, eggs, you name it!).

Annie,

If as you say you are still fairly novice this would probably be a good use of a book token. I have it and have found it useful. The CD-ROM would of course do a similar job for you and more beside, but the Collins CD is more atmospheric.

Hope that helps.

Stephen.

Hi Annie,

I would agree with what has been said above, but as a birder with very limited knowledge of birdsong, I invested in a similar double CD (BBC) a few years ago.

My only reservation would be, whatever you buy, don't expect it to contain every song and call you hear.

Thanks to Stephen and Birdman for their feedback - on this basis I went out and purchased the CD Guide today.

Steve - thanks also for the advide re. the CD-ROM. I'll take a look at that also sometime.

Cheers

Annie

It's very good, Annie - but it can be frustrating at times. That plus the Collins Bird Guide seems to answer most questions for me though.

Steven with a 'v', by the way - unusual these days, I think!

Now I'm confused (easily done, especially after a few glasses of vino) !!

So thanks to either Stephen or Steven or Steve or whoever !!!

Annie

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back