• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Have You Seen Any of These Birds? (1 Viewer)

Larry Lade

** The "Not Seen" list and species moved to the "Seen" list may now be viewed on the .txt file attached **

Name a bird (that is not extinct) which you think no one visiting this thread on BirdForum has ever seen. Here are a couple to "get the ball rolling":

Bachman's Warbler, OK, it is possibly extinct.
Himalayan Snowcock, (I do know some birders here in the states that have seen this bird. One is even on BF, but I don't think that person has been too active on BF of late.)

(Of course, not every one on BF will be reading this thread but it might prove to be interesting just the same.)

If someone has observed the named bird, they need to tell when and where they saw it, perhaps giving some details of the sighting. The bird should have been documented some way, by a photograph, multiple (competent observers), the sighting accepted by competent reviewers, etc.

* If you know of someone who has seen one of the named birds, have them drop by for a visit!

Attachments

• BirdForum_Seen_Not Seen_August 13, 2014.txt
    10.3 KB · Views: 379
Last edited:
Hi Larry,

Hyacinth Macaw is not in the same level of rarity as Bachman's Warbler, basically everybody that has birded in the Pantanal region of Brazil has seen the macaw.

Dalcio

I've seen Hyacinth Macaw in Brazil... it is an easy one. I've friends who have seen Philippine Eagle.

Very difficult ones? A few of them...

Congo Peacock
Green-breasted Pitta
African Green Broadbill
Nechisar Nightjar
Congo Bay Owl
Shelley's Eagle-Owl

This is just what I have in my mind for Africa.

Regards,

Himalayan Snowcock, (I do know some birders here in the states that have seen this bird. One is even on BF, but I don't think that person has been too active on BF of late.)

These are fairly easy on the slopes of the Tien Shan range around the Astronomical Observatory above Almaty in Kazakhstan, which is on the itinerary of pretty much all the birding trips to this country, so I doubt I'll be the only one on BF to have seen them.

How about Kinglet Calyptura!

James

I've seen Stresemann's Bristlefront, which is pretty tricky although I know of at least one other BF member who has seen it too. Grey-winged Cotinga is quite hard, but I should think a few others will have seen it.

Colourful Puffleg? Just one of dozens of birds in remote Colombian valleys.
Eaton's Pintail? Kerguelen Shag? How many birders really get the chance?!
Jerdon's Courser? I think this has been seen by just 1 birder since rediscovery.

Not forgetting the Apurimac endemics such as the spinetail and brush-finch. The last birders that tried for those ended up dead!

Last edited:
The last birders that tried for those ended up dead!

That's the very likely fate of anyone chasing some of the Somali endemics such as Obbia Lark (http://www.birdlife.org/datazone/ebas/index.html?action=SpcHTMDetails.asp&sid=8163&m=0), which occurs only in the middle of the disputed territory here... http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/e/ee/Somalia_states_regions_districtsJuly1520091.png

I'd love to go there, as I was conceived in Mogadishu and my parents returned to England for my birth and were then unable to return to Somalia. The way things have gone since, it's hard to imagine I'll ever get to visit, although Somaliland and parts of Puntland may be open to the really adventurous.

I guess there may be some members who got to see some of the endemics before 1990?

Graham

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back