• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Kendons 2007 UK year list (1 Viewer)

Darren Pearce

Darren Pearce's 2007 UK year list

After a week in Portugal UK list started yesterday at Bristol Airport and on the way home

1 Starling
2 House Sparrow
3 Rook
4 Blackbird
5 Magpie
6 Carrion Crow
7 Herring Gull
8 Buzzard
9 Black Headed Gull
10 Wood Pigeon

And locally this morning

11 Coot
12 Moorhen
13 Gadwall
14 Mallard
15 Collared Dove
16 Little Grebe
17 Pochard
18 Tufted Duck
19 Pied Wagtail
20 Mute Swan
21 Robin
22 Goldfinch
23 Greenfinch
24 Chaffinch
25 Bullfinch
26 Great Tit
27 Blue Tit
28 Long Tailed Tit
29 Jackdaw
30 Meadow Pipit
31 Lesser Black Backed Gull
32 Redwing
33 Dunnock
34 Jack Snipe
35 Mistle Thrush
36 Song Thrush
37 Wren
38 Grey Heron
39 Pheasant
40 Linnet
41 Feral Pigeon

Last edited:
A full day at Slimbridge boosted the year list and included 2 lifers

42 Bewicks Swan
43 Shelduck
44 Greylag Goose
45 Pintail
46 Wigeon
47 Canada Goose
48 Lapwing
49 Teal
50 Shoveler
51 Ruff
52 Dunlin
53 Redshank
54 Black Tailed Godwit
55 Curlew
56 Great Black Backed Gull
57 Barnacle Goose
58 Raven
59 Golden Plover
60 Peregrine Falcon
61 White Fronted Goose
62 Pink Footed Goose
63 Bittern
64 Cetti's Warbler
65 Oystercatcher
66 Tundra Bean Goose
67 Cormorant
68 Great Crested Grebe
69 Great Skua
70 Spotted Redshank
71 Little Stint
72 Knot

And on the way home

73 Jay
74 Goldcrest

And today added three more

75 Reed Bunting
76 Coal Tit
77 Green Woodpecker

A good days local birding taking in Chew Valley Lake and Severn Beach added the following

78 Goosander
79 Smew
80 Red Breasted Merganser
81 Ruddy Duck
82 Goldeneye
83 Skylark
84 Chiffchaff
85 Ring Necked Duck
86 Turnstone
87 Ringed Plover
88 Kingfisher
89 Kestrel

Last edited:
Spenty a couple of hours at Slimbridge this morning to see the Glaucous Gull which was a lifer for me. I spent the afternoon out in the countryside birding farmland

90 Glaucous Gull
91 Corn Bunting
92 Stock Dove
93 Yellowhammer
94 Red Legged Partridge
95 Fieldfare
96 Merlin

One more in my lunch hour today

97 Great Spotted Woodpecker

And another

98 Grey Wagtail

And another before work

99 Common Gull

Last edited:
Added a few more locally. Had cracking views of the Short Eared Owl at Aust Wharf on the Severn Estuary and at one time had both the owl and a male Merlin in the scope together.

100 Dipper
101 Rock Pipit
102 Short Eared Owl
103 Stonechat

One more before work at the local park

104 Treecreeper

And at lunchtime

105 Common Snipe
106 Sparrowhawk

Last edited:
A Saturday out in Yorkshire to contribute to the Harrogate Naturists Club tarmac appeal.

107 Pacific Diver

Then onto Bingley where both the American Robin and the Firecrest were very obliging

108 American Robin
109 Firecrest

Today I dragged the kids around the Forest of Dean and we all got filthy and my daughter left her trainers in the car park at New Fancy Viewpoint. Don't suppose anyone found them !!

110 Goshawk
111 Common Crossbill
112 Brambling
113 Hawfinch

Last edited:
A visit to Cheddar reservoir was even more productive than expected. I went looking for Great Northern Diver and there were two. Also a flock of 4 Scaup (3F 1M) and a Black Necked Grebe. The kids were happy to trudge around the reservoir as I had taken them to Wookey Hole Caves before

114 Great Northern Diver
115 Black Necked Grebe
116 Greater Scaup

Last edited:
Spent a weekend away in Weymouth with the family. The following were added from Portland Harbour/Ferrybridge and Portland Bill.

120 Little Egret
121 Brent Goose
122 Gannet
123 Purple Sandpiper
124 Guillemot
125 Fulmar
126 Razorbill
127 Shag
128 Mediterranean Gull
129 Velvet Scoter

Another day in the Forest of Dean, this time for the Great Grey Shrike. Awful weather forecasted and the kids in tow, I suppose it had "dip" written all over it.

Got there at around 9:30 raining slightly so decided to go and have a look. When we'd walked the 1/4 of a mile or so the heavens opened. After 20 minutes the kids looked like drowned rats so we had to retreat back to the car.

Walking back we met a chap who was on his way to look for it so we had a quick chat and wished him luck.

We sat at the car for around 45 mins (Nintendo DS makes this possible) and we saw the same bloke who said he had seen the bird and it was showing well. The rain had eased so I thought another go was in order. We walked the1/4mile again to where the bird was last seen and there was a group of birders looking for it but yet again no sign. Then it hammered down again and once again the kids who had only just got dry were soaked through. So back to the car for lunch. After about twenty minutes the group of birders passed claiming cracking views of the bird. The rain didn't let up again so there was no way I could drag the kids there again.

:storm:

However I did get three year ticks from the car

130 Mandarin
131 Nuthatch
132 Marsh Tit

Last edited:
No Kids, No Rain, No Problem

133 Great Grey Shrike

And then all the way back to near enough the opposite side of the Severn to Slimbridge

134 Temminck's Stint

Last edited:
Only a few hours this afternoon but the return was good.First I went to the lakes at Frampton on Severn

135 Sand Martin
136 Little Gull

Thanks to Merlin the dog for keeping the children entertained. I suspect Merlin and his owner got soaked as it tipped down with rain,hail and snow

I moved on to Sharpness docks just a few miles down the road and finally saw the Black Redstart that I have dipped on three seperate occassions.

137 Black Redstart

Took the kids down to Bridgewater in Somerset today to see the Hoopoe.We got there at around 10.30 and I saw the bird at about 3pm, luckily there were other kids to keep my kids entertained or they would have never waited that long.

138 Hoopoe

142 Willow Warbler

On Saturday we went to Saul Warth to see the Marbled Duck which after a short time showed well.
Then we went to Slimbridge which was very quiet but I did pick up a Green Sandpiper for the year list

--- Marbled Duck
143 Green Sandpiper

Yesterday we made our annual trudge up Cleeve Hill near Cheltenham in pursuit of Ring Ouzel. We arrived at around 9am but that was too late as the hill was already alive will golfers,horse riders,joggers and dog walkers. We hung around for a couple of hours searching remote areas but with no luck.

We decided to move onto Slimbridge where a drake Garganey had been reported. When we got there everybody seemed to be coming back the other way as the Garganey had not been seen for a long time.We stayed at the viewpoint for around an hour but we could not locate it.

Then we had a report of a female Ring Ouzel in a sheep field at Aust Warth only 20 mins from home. We arrived there with little optimism but we quickly found the bird which made up for the rest of the day.

144 Ring Ouzel

Last edited:
An early morning start before work with a trip to Frampton on Severn and WWT 100 Acre to see the Spoonbill. I picked up on it straight away but had to wait 20 mins before it lifted it's head. Also there was the drake Garganey that I failed to see on Sunday. When I was walking back across the fields a Cuckoo started calling and I was able to locate it at the top of a tall tree on the canal.

145 Spoonbill
146 Garganey
147 Cuckoo

Lunchtime in mid week

148 Lesser Whitethroat

Yesterday back at Slimbridge, Not 1 but 17

149 Glossy Ibis

Today a productive days birding at Severn Beach and Cotswold Water park catching up with some migrants

150 House Martin
151 Whimbrel
152 Common Sandpiper
153 Common Whitethroat
154 Garden Warbler
155 Hobby
156 Sedge Warbler

4 more from the weekend. Nightingale at Cotswold Water Park and the rest from Severn Beach this morning

157 Nightingale
158 Bar Tailed Godwit
159 Common Swift
160 Grey Plover

Users who are viewing this thread

Back