• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bird Fair 2018 (2 Viewers)

Yes indeed - I am very aware (since joining BF) of how lucky we are in many areas of the UK. If one is ok about devoting a day or two to the cause, many premium binoculars can be checked out. There are also a number of very reliable outlets selling also online, who are fine with returns if you're not fully satisfied - all achievable within a week or two with decent courier services. I can imagine that others in very remote areas, or in countries where birding is not much of a feature, have a far trickier time.
International sales are not necessarily a barrier, but this relies on knowing what you're after, and who to buy from; BirdFair usually offers an unparalleled opportunity to check out your short list. and for that we should all be grateful i guess.

Hi Sandra

I bumped into Simon King in his/Zeiss's second stand, a couple of times when being shown behind the scenes and I liked the mock kitchen that had been set up there with several binos placed on the 'window ledge', looking out behind the marquee, such as you might have them at home. It was certainly imaginative and a change from the normal stands.

Apart from him the only other celebrity I spotted was Blue Steve who owns this website (and a few others)although to be correct it was him that spotted me, and I didn't really have enough time to visit lectures.

Lee

Thanks for that insight Lee. I do enjoy people's comments when they meet these 'celebrities'. Was Chris Packham there, would you know?

Sandra

Hi Sandra.... why don't you start a thread in the main forums.... Birds and Birding for instance.

This thread is in the Binocular forum, so you're rather taking it off topic I'm afraid.

Delia,
Sandra has a fair point. There are two threads titled "Birdfair" and " Birdfair 2018" whose contents are primarily discussing what optics were on display, their background and history and more. Yes the titles are under Binoculars. Perhaps they should be merged. What do you think?
A genuine misunderstanding I'm sure and it's not the first time a thread goes off topic. Look at the thread " Interview with the new head of Zeiss Sports Optics", it's now discussing colours of bacon, colours of curtains and that women can see more colours than men. All fascinating but nothing to do with the title
of the thread or the interview anymore.

Last edited:
Birdforum house rules state the following: 'Please stay on topic as far as possible. If you want to discuss a different subject, start a new thread - don't hijack someone else’s thread'.

However, it is abundantly clear that threads wander without anyone having any intention to hijack the thread and for the most part Birdforum allows this to happen. These meanderings can be enlightening and entertaining and reflect the way normal conversations divert in the real-life world.

The motivation behind asking folks to try to stay on topic is so that other folks seeking information via search-enignes can find it without too much trouble and then don't have to hunt among a blizzard of side-tracking topics trying to find the information they seek.

Maintaining the balance between staying on-topic and allowing natural diversions from it is a pretty imprecise 'science' to say the least and certainly isn't perfect, but we hope, on the whole, we achieve an enjoyable balance.

Lee

Birdforum house rules state the following: 'Please stay on topic as far as possible. If you want to discuss a different subject, start a new thread - don't hijack someone else’s thread'.

However, it is abundantly clear that threads wander without anyone having any intention to hijack the thread and for the most part Birdforum allows this to happen. These meanderings can be enlightening and entertaining and reflect the way normal conversations divert in the real-life world.

The motivation behind asking folks to try to stay on topic is so that other folks seeking information via search-enignes can find it without too much trouble and then don't have to hunt among a blizzard of side-tracking topics trying to find the information they seek.

Maintaining the balance between staying on-topic and allowing natural diversions from it is a pretty imprecise 'science' to say the least and certainly isn't perfect, but we hope, on the whole, we achieve an enjoyable balance.

Lee

Very well put, Lee!

Thanks

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back