• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

I really need help in choosing a binocular 10x (1 Viewer)

yeah... the whole thing is very frustrating. I never thought i would have to research for days to find a passable bino that is better than mine and under 200euros, what is esentialy 4 time more than what the 8x25 cost me.

I had one day out with the above mentioned 10x42. When i was able to focus it i got a lot more info from things far away. The birds i struggle with are birds of prey and water birds that are too far away. I think a 10x can give me an edge there but it needs to be sharp.

What would you guys get for 200Euros or less, regardless of magnification or lens size?
I would consider 10x42 vortex diamondback , better if you can swing the Viper, a more serious glass. Also don’t overlook the Oberwerk ED (aka SE).

Paul

What would you guys get for 200Euros or less, regardless of magnification or lens size?
8x42 would be my personal recommendation
i would probably go for Opticron, given their good quality and reputation. In the U.K. they sell the Oregon 8x42 for £149

I volunteer at a nature reserve. We recently had an optics event hosted by Viking. The Viking staff were recommending 8x42 as the current, preferred birding set-up.
I have recently changed from 10x42 to 8.5x42

Last edited:
The more I read the more I am leaning toward Opticron. Did you have the chance to try the Viking badger, i cant find reviews but people have left very good ratings for it.
We recently had an optics event hosted by Viking. The Viking staff were recommending 8x42 as the current, preferred birding set-up.

Shame you are not in the UK. We have been clearing the discontinued version of the Viking Azura 10x42 for a similar price to the badger

I have been birdwatching for 5 years and i have a nikon acculon 8x25 which i got as a recommendation for 50 euros. I never really got the fuss about expensive binos as whenever i had the chance to try them the only difference was the field of view. The sharpness on my binos is amazing and there are no abberations. Now my gf is also into birdwatching and i want to upgrade and give her the acculon. I ordered and returned 2 binos. A bushnell 10x42 for 90 euros that was SOO BAD optics and everything and a bresser wave 10x42 that i really want to like. The build quality is amazing i like how it feels but its just not as sharp as the nikon. Maybe its that pair. But its just strenuous to look through and doesnt feel like an upgrade in the optics. I want to spend between 100 and 200 euros and would like to get a sharp 10x bino with roof prism. I can get the roof prism one to sit much more steady in my hands and the birds i struggle the most with are mostly far away and i think a 10x can help. I live in germany and it would be great if i can get it on amazon as i can return it there if its not up to paar.

I will be very grateful for your suggestions on brands and pairs!
I can recommend Opticron. A number of years ago I added a pair of their 7x42's to my kit to complement my Swarovski EL10x42, I do a lot of close bush and forest birding in my area (New Zealand and Australia) and the 10x magnification of the Swarovski is just too long. The Opticrons are equally as sharp and the contrast and colour fidelity no different from the Swarovski, which are fantastic binos. The Opticrons are a fraction of the price, excellent value for money. I always carry the two different magnification binos, if I'm birding over pasture, pond, estuary etc I use the 10x and the Opticron 7x for close forest and bush. I assume that 10x42 Opticron will be as good a buy as my 7x have been.

I can recommend Opticron. A number of years ago I added a pair of their 7x42's to my kit to complement my Swarovski EL10x42, I do a lot of close bush and forest birding in my area (New Zealand and Australia) and the 10x magnification of the Swarovski is just too long. The Opticrons are equally as sharp and the contrast and colour fidelity no different from the Swarovski,
In your opinion, right.
which are fantastic binos. The Opticrons are a fraction of the price, excellent value for money. I always carry the two different magnification binos, if I'm birding over pasture, pond, estuary etc I use the 10x and the Opticron 7x for close forest and bush. I assume that 10x42 Opticron will be as good a buy as my 7x have been.

You could consider the Oberwerk 10x42 SE porro prism if you don't mind the stiff focus wheel and chunky build:

10×42 SE ED

The 12x50 SE that I have is really good for the price optically, especially the lack of CA, but I'm not sure if it is quite as waterproof as a modern roof prism.

An update. I got the opticron Oregon 4 10x42 and i am very satisfied. There are some minor CA but nothing too obvious. It is very sharp and the wheel is pleasant to use. The close focus range is also nice for bugs. At a birding event i could compare it to a lot of binos and i think it is in no way worse than the nikon monarch 5 while been cheaper. And its bettar than the 8x42 variant. The build quality and strap and bag are also top notch. 9.5/10 would recommend!

What's a Euro?
Nikon 8X42 MHG
Nikon 10X35 E
Audubon 8.5X44
Nikon 7X50 CF HP
My daughter has:
Nikon 8X42 M5 (re-furbished from the Nikon store)
Nikon 10X42 M5

Users who are viewing this thread

Back