• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

I really need help in choosing a binocular 10x (1 Viewer)

curlyman

Germany
I have been birdwatching for 5 years and i have a nikon acculon 8x25 which i got as a recommendation for 50 euros. I never really got the fuss about expensive binos as whenever i had the chance to try them the only difference was the field of view. The sharpness on my binos is amazing and there are no abberations. Now my gf is also into birdwatching and i want to upgrade and give her the acculon. I ordered and returned 2 binos. A bushnell 10x42 for 90 euros that was SOO BAD optics and everything and a bresser wave 10x42 that i really want to like. The build quality is amazing i like how it feels but its just not as sharp as the nikon. Maybe its that pair. But its just strenuous to look through and doesnt feel like an upgrade in the optics. I want to spend between 100 and 200 euros and would like to get a sharp 10x bino with roof prism. I can get the roof prism one to sit much more steady in my hands and the birds i struggle the most with are mostly far away and i think a 10x can help. I live in germany and it would be great if i can get it on amazon as i can return it there if its not up to paar.

I will be very grateful for your suggestions on brands and pairs!

The Celestron Nature DX has for many year been put forward as an OK entry level phased coated model. The Opticon Oregon 4 Oasis (also available from Amazon Germany) has the advantage of being backed by a customer service of a much superior reputation. Presumbly a number of its virtues should be shared with the 8x42 model which was lauded here (and was preferred to the Celestron Nature DX ED 8x42 model) :

Sorry don't know what options are available in Germany outside the Amazon site. Perhaps you have other brands there or maybe retailers who offer used optics with an acceptable return period and warranty?

I normally would only recommend going to a shop and trying out the binoculars, but given the size of your country this might not be as easy as it is for us in the UK

If this were my budget I would look at Hawke, Opticron or Viking - assuming that they are available in your Country.

Hawke Vantage

Opticron Adventurer

Viking Badger

good luck with your search

If you can still find them -- Fujinon KF made by Kenko or a Kenko "Ultraview" EX OP 2nd (DHII) or 3rd (DHIII) generation (with updated dielectric coatings on the prisms) would be my recommendation. Better than the Svbony SV202 when it comes to chromatic abberation.
Something like this:

I was also thinking maybe Hawke, Opticron or Viking but the selection is kind of limited and the prices are pumped up compared to uk and what is writen in the reviews. I am begining to wonder if x42 is the way to go. Would it make sence to go for smaller diamater. The brightness diff between my x25 nikon and the x42 bresser was bearly noticable and some smaller binos offer wider field of view. Its just such cauos with the reviews. One says its great the other its terrible....

Has anyone tried this one the Bresser Condor 10x42. It has some good reviews but i dont trust them anymore :D

or the Vanguard 10 x 42 spirit fx

or Vortex crossfire HD 10x42

or opticron Savanna R PC 8x33

for comparison my nikon 8x25 on the right and the brasser 10x42 on the left. Those CA and lack of focus is what want to avoid.
IMG_20230612_105938 (2).jpgIMG_20230612_105712_1 (2).jpg
IMG_20230612_105938.jpgIMG_20230612_105712_1.jpg

If i get a simmilar pic to my nikon in a 10x binos i will be happy but so far the tiny 50euro bino is smacking the others i have tried

I was also thinking maybe Hawke, Opticron or Viking but the selection is kind of limited and the prices are pumped up compared to uk and what is writen in the reviews. I am begining to wonder if x42 is the way to go. Would it make sence to go for smaller diamater. The brightness diff between my x25 nikon and the x42 bresser was bearly noticable and some smaller binos offer wider field of view. Its just such cauos with the reviews. One says its great the other its terrible....

Has anyone tried this one the Bresser Condor 10x42. It has some good reviews but i dont trust them anymore :D

or the Vanguard 10 x 42 spirit fx

or Vortex crossfire HD 10x42

or opticron Savanna R PC 8x33

for comparison my nikon 8x25 on the right and the brasser 10x42 on the left. Those CA and lack of focus is what want to avoid.
View attachment 1515050View attachment 1515051
View attachment 1515054View attachment 1515053

If i get a simmilar pic to my nikon in a 10x binos i will be happy but so far the tiny 50euro bino is smacking the others i have tried
Gees, that Brasser is bad! Those little Nikon compacts, the 8x25 and 10x25, are surprisingly good. That is sad when an 8x25 kills a 10x42.

Maybe you should rethink 10X vs 8X, perhaps get a 8X32 or 8X42 which will provide a much more enhanced view than an 8X25. Have you spent any real time behind a 10X42?
You're right. An equally performing 10x42 will usually cost more than an equivalent 8x32 or 8x42. A good 10x42 is harder to manufacture.

Maybe you should rethink 10X vs 8X, perhaps get a 8X32 or 8X42 which will provide a much more enhanced view than an 8X25. Have you spent any real time behind a 10X42?
yeah... the whole thing is very frustrating. I never thought i would have to research for days to find a passable bino that is better than mine and under 200euros, what is esentialy 4 time more than what the 8x25 cost me.

I had one day out with the above mentioned 10x42. When i was able to focus it i got a lot more info from things far away. The birds i struggle with are birds of prey and water birds that are too far away. I think a 10x can give me an edge there but it needs to be sharp.

What would you guys get for 200Euros or less, regardless of magnification or lens size?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back