• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Panjin Birding by the Old Fat Man (4 Viewers)

MAR-18 Gedalou Reservoir more pics

Some more shots from the 18th

Gedalou Reservoir, Panjin, Dawa County, Liaoning, CN, Liaoning, CN
Mar 18, 2019 12:15 PM - 2:15 PM
Protocol: Traveling
10.0 kilometer(s)
15 species

Northern Shoveler (Spatula clypeata) 15
Falcated Duck (Mareca falcata) 10
Eastern Spot-billed Duck (Anas zonorhyncha) 25
Green-winged Teal (Anas crecca) 40
Common Pochard (Aythya ferina) 160
Ferruginous Duck (Aythya nyroca) 6
Tufted Duck (Aythya fuligula) 25
Smew (Mergellus albellus) 32
Great Crested Grebe (Podiceps cristatus) 40
Eurasian Coot (Fulica atra) 800
Dunlin (Calidris alpina) 2
Black-headed Gull (Chroicocephalus ridibundus) 200
Herring Gull (Larus argentatus) 80
Gray Heron (Ardea cinerea) 1
Oriental Magpie (Pica serica) 9

View this checklist online at https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S54003727

Attachments

• Northen Shoveler & Falcated Duck.jpg
    Northen Shoveler & Falcated Duck.jpg
    353.3 KB · Views: 8
  • Gadwall.jpg
    Gadwall.jpg
    344.4 KB · Views: 8
  • Garganey.jpg
    Garganey.jpg
    456.7 KB · Views: 7
  • Northern Shoveler.jpg
    Northern Shoveler.jpg
    360.5 KB · Views: 7
  • Great Crested Grebe (2).jpg
    Great Crested Grebe (2).jpg
    350.6 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
Great to see you scoring well Owen.

eBird is an evil plot to take over the galaxy!Fight them to the end!

Cheers
Mike

ps great pic of the Smew!

Mar-17

I got this out of order, but I thought I had already posted it. Just some shots from an outing to try and find the Red-Billed Blue Magpie as I hadn't seen them for awhile. Found them in with the Azure-Winged Magpie but both were being unusually shy so didn't get any usable pictures of either.

Panjin, Dawa County, Liaoning, CN, Liaoning, CN
Mar 17, 2019 11:45 AM - 1:15 PM
4.0 kilometer(s)
10 species

Gray-headed Woodpecker (Picus canus) 1
Azure-winged Magpie (Cyanopica cyanus) 25
Red-billed Blue-Magpie (Urocissa erythroryncha) 2
Light-vented Bulbul (Pycnonotus sinensis) 4
Goldcrest (Regulus regulus) 6
Red-flanked Bluetail (Tarsiger cyanurus) 2
Yellow-throated Bunting (Emberiza elegans) 9
Little Bunting (Emberiza pusilla) 3
Tristram's Bunting (Emberiza tristrami) 2
Eurasian Tree Sparrow (Passer montanus) 40

View this checklist online at https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S53923536

Attachments

• Goldcrest.jpg
    Goldcrest.jpg
    393.8 KB · Views: 8
  • Elegant Bunting (1).jpg
    Elegant Bunting (1).jpg
    276.5 KB · Views: 6
  • Red-Flanked Bluetail (1).jpg
    Red-Flanked Bluetail (1).jpg
    215.6 KB · Views: 4
  • Red-Flanked Bluetail.jpg
    Red-Flanked Bluetail.jpg
    210.7 KB · Views: 6
  • Goldcrest (1).jpg
    Goldcrest (1).jpg
    415.2 KB · Views: 8
Hi Owen

IOC currently recognises both Eurasian and Green-winged Teal as full species. Eurasian is one bird above on the link you kindly provided. The references to H&M and NACC at the end of Green-winged Teal refer to dissenting views from the IOC decision.

Frankly it is unacceptable for eBird to choose Green-winged as the name for the lump of the two species by eBird.

Eurasian Teal was named in 1758 and Green-Winged not until 1789. On this basis, Eurasian takes precedence as the rules of taxonomy require the lumped species to take the name of the first species described - which is Eurasian Teal Anas crecca, and Green-winged should become Eurasian Teal Anas crecca carolinensis

Eurasian Teal Anas crecca Linnaeus, 1758 EU, NA : n and c Europe and Asia, Aleutian Is. SSP Includes nimia. Treat as monotypic. Clinal. Sangster et al. 2001, Carboneras et al. 2017.

Green-winged Teal Anas carolinensis Gmelin, JF, 1789 NA : widespread PL Treated as conspecific with A. crecca by NACC, H&M4​

eBird has followed an odd course by recognising crecca rather than carolinensis as the species binomial but replacing Eurasian with Green-winged for the common name. It is fair to say, however, that Eurasian is not a good name for the lumped species, but going for Green-winged creates obvious confusion.

All this confusion could simply have been avoided if eBird had simply followed IOC, kept its nose out of the already complex multi-voice taxonomic debate, and kept the two distinctly different species ... as two different species - a solution which birders would surely prefer after all!

Cheers
Mike

Well, I agree with your point, Mike. However it comes down to nothing (and nobody) is perfect and they offer an easy way to keep my list organized. With their recent improvements to their website it is much easier to access their data, especially the photo and audio data. Also there is the point that I started getting really involved in this while in America and although they are making real efforts to improve their international presence, including things like supporting Chinese language through Taiwan, they are a real leader in North American birding.

I fully recognise the amazing contribution eBird makes Owen.

There is no question eBird is an absolutely outstanding platform for collecting and sharing and analysing data on birds. A such my aim is not raising this criticism for its own sake, but because only by raising issues do they get discussed, and possibly improved.

I certainly do not think you should stop using it because of some grumpiness on my part! My apologies if my tongue -in-cheek comment in post 762 might have created this sense - I was actually just frustrated on your behalf over the glitches that you mentioned.

Cheers
Mike

I love your reports lately Owen. Things are really starting to move (your contacts and the birds) and you're into some good sites now. Your area is fantastic for birding and significantly underbirded. It's going to be exciting what the rest of this spring migration brings you.

Ebird is a great platform and is continuing to further its international presence. Some people were put off by the "Americaness" of it earlier but it's doing a better job now. I've had some frustrations with this as well in China and also here in Canada. In the end though, as Mike mentioned, its a great platform and fantastic for my own personal records.

I would love to see the mandarin version of The Birds of Dalian being used for the program you mentioned. It certainly covers 99% of the species to be found there.

No worries Mike! It takes a lot more than that to upset me.

I always encourage open discussion as long as it stays civil. If having an occasional rant from me or one of the readers can make this thread a bit more entertaining or maybe even informational, then I have no problems with it. I learned long ago that I don't have to agree with someone to respect their opinion and that it is OK to sometimes just agree to disagree. As long as we all remember that everyone is entitled to their own opinions. My reply was more for the benefit of others who might not be as familiar with the situation.

Tom is absolutely correct about the "Americaness" of ebird but after all ebird is a program of Cornell University's Lab of Ornithology - it is American by definition. Somewhat like criticism of the birdforum for it's "Britishness".;)

Hi Owen

IOC currently recognises both Eurasian and Green-winged Teal as full species. Eurasian is one bird above on the link you kindly provided. The references to H&M and NACC at the end of Green-winged Teal refer to dissenting views from the IOC decision.

Frankly it is unacceptable for eBird to choose Green-winged as the name for the lump of the two species by eBird.

Eurasian Teal was named in 1758 and Green-Winged not until 1789. On this basis, Eurasian takes precedence as the rules of taxonomy require the lumped species to take the name of the first species described - which is Eurasian Teal Anas crecca, and Green-winged should become Eurasian Teal Anas crecca carolinensis

Eurasian Teal Anas crecca Linnaeus, 1758 EU, NA : n and c Europe and Asia, Aleutian Is. SSP Includes nimia. Treat as monotypic. Clinal. Sangster et al. 2001, Carboneras et al. 2017.

Green-winged Teal Anas carolinensis Gmelin, JF, 1789 NA : widespread PL Treated as conspecific with A. crecca by NACC, H&M4​

eBird has followed an odd course by recognising crecca rather than carolinensis as the species binomial but replacing Eurasian with Green-winged for the common name. It is fair to say, however, that Eurasian is not a good name for the lumped species, but going for Green-winged creates obvious confusion.

All this confusion could simply have been avoided if eBird had simply followed IOC, kept its nose out of the already complex multi-voice taxonomic debate, and kept the two distinctly different species ... as two different species - a solution which birders would surely prefer after all!

Cheers
Mike

I'm on your side even just for a selfish reason: to add one more tic to my province list 8-P And, even people who are normally against splitting support the idea that they are two species:
http://brucemactavish1.blogspot.com/2014/11/eastern-western-willets-sos.html?m=1

Gulls

Just came back in from checking out the Panjin Wetland Park. Since Lancy and I dithered over the last set of gulls from there, I thought I would put these up for opinion. The first three are good up close of the same gull, next a group in flight, then there were a few with noticeably darker backs and a pair of younger gulls with the all black bill.

Attachments

• NT4A4246.jpg
    NT4A4246.jpg
    143.6 KB · Views: 13
  • NT4A4248.jpg
    NT4A4248.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 7
  • NT4A4250.jpg
    NT4A4250.jpg
    181.8 KB · Views: 9
  • NT4A4268.jpg
    NT4A4268.jpg
    246.4 KB · Views: 10
  • NT4A4262.jpg
    NT4A4262.jpg
    358.9 KB · Views: 9
I only have life experience with 3 gull species in Asia: Black-tailed, Saunders's and Black-headed I'm afraid I can't go too far .anyway, here are my two cents:
Gull #1: the pale window in the inner primaries ruled out Black-tailed as it's not seen in any age. I'd call it Herring and will stop here: I don't have materials in hand about Mongolian Gull :(
Group: The adult (left bottom) and sub-adult (left top) are Herring-type for sure. I hesitate to age the other two but they look like 2nd cycle/3rd calendar year birds, also Herring-type.
Resting bird: I'm not sure about the mantle shade, which may appear darker in strong light. Also, I think Vega type Herring gull is generally darker than American Herring. I don't know if I want to make it to a Lesser Black-backed based on one photo.
The last two: I don't think they have all dark bills but more like bi-colored. I'd call them 1st cycle/2nd calendar year Herring-type.

Things I noticed when viewing Herring-type gull photos from Liaoning:
1. for every life stage, it seems that they have more advanced plumage than Northern group of American Herring. I'm not familiar with Herring in Great Lakes...
2. I haven't seen a bird which could match the image of Vega gull in my head. I haven't seen Vega gull in my life. My experience was mainly from viewing photos from Japan. Maybe it's the season difference?

I desperately need a gulling trip to NE China, in winter! :)

Pretty much what I was seeing, Lancy. The first three I thought to be Mongolian Gull. The resting bird I am inclined to see as Vega Gull. To me that head doesn't look as blocky as a typical Mongolian. The resting pair I'm still torn on. At a distance, through bins, I thought maybe a Slaty-backed but up closer, as this pic, I lean more towards Black-tailed. I think I'll put that one up on the ID forum to see what they come up with.

We are no the only ones to find this ID difficult, Lancy. My post to the ID forum at this point has 81 views and only one reply offered. xuky.summer, a Chinese birder in Qingdao, thinks they are first winter plumage Mongolian. He has a website on gulls but is also pretty new to them. https://xukygulls.blogspot.com/

Personally, I am still not convinced either way between Slaty-Backed and Mongolian, so I think I'll just leave them out of the report as being unidentified.

We are no the only ones to find this ID difficult, Lancy. My post to the ID forum at this point has 81 views and only one reply offered. xuky.summer, a Chinese birder in Qingdao, thinks they are first winter plumage Mongolian. He has a website on gulls but is also pretty new to them. https://xukygulls.blogspot.com/

Personally, I am still not convinced either way between Slaty-Backed and Mongolian, so I think I'll just leave them out of the report as being unidentified.

Lots of gulls are left unidentified. That's why they are so "entertaining" 8-P
Would you mind if I share your photos to seek help, Owen? Some gull experts may have their opinions.

Panjin Wetland Park March 22

I took a 6 km hike around the east end of the Panjin Wetland Park and although activity is still somewhat subdued, I did find a nice variety.

As to be expected there, I was greeted by Mongolian Gull fishing in the lake, but in reduced numbers from the last time I was here. A few Vega Gull were scattered about along with a small number of somewhat oddly patterned gull that continued as unidentified despite some really good photos.

A fairly dense patch of bushes and trees that always seems to have something of interest didn't fail with a few Black Faced Bunting briefly showing themselves amidst a flock of Tree Sparrow. This is the only location that I have even occasionally found BFB and always in small numbers.

Further along, where the pathway goes under the second railroad bridge is another productive patch of cover. Some Red-flanked Bluetail were rapidly moving about and I got a very quick look through the binoculars at a flycatcher looking bird with very distinct eye ring, no eye stripe and a grey hood and a yellowish looking breast. It was in dark shade so maybe a washed out female Red-flanked. A small group of Long-tailed Tit was also in this patch.

This is where I noticed that the battery indicator was showing a low battery. As it turns out, the freshly charged Canon battery was still sitting on the charger back home. This was one of the after market batteries that I already knew were getting weak. I have two of them and normally only venture out with both of them or the one genuine Canon as it will last for a thousand shots or so and the other two together don't do that well. From there on I saved the battery, carrying it in my pocket to keep it warmer.

A Great Spotted Woodpecker was drumming in the area and a Gray-Headed Woodpecker was using the echo chamber under the railroad viaduct to amplify it's cries. They can get pretty loud normally but with the amplification I thought it was a more distant eagle at first! It's calls elicited a call from a Ring-Necked Pheasant which was in the reeds on the other side of the flood barrier.

Around the North side of the lake I found a group of Oriental Magpie foraging through the recently burnt reeds. Meanwhile out on the lake were a few Common Coot, Tufted Duck & Eastern Spot-Billed Duck along with scattered Great Crested Grebe. A small group of Black-Headed Gull were staying apart from the larger Mongolians.

Just as I was finishing up I was glad that I had been saving the almost dead battery as I got some good shots of a group of Daurian Redstart. Several males were trying to impress one female who was ignoring their efforts.

While watching them, a small flock of White Wagtail went directly over me and landed nearby. Again another group of males chasing a female.

A final look out over the lake showed some Falcated Duck and one Merganser looking individual popping up and down but never showing the body with only the head and neck showing. It photo bombed the FD in a pic that I took at long distance to verify at home they were FD. Through the bins I was very suspicious of it being a Red-Breasted Merganser, but too far away to say one way or the other for sure.

Panjin Wetland Park, Liaoning, CN
Mar 22, 2019 11:30 AM - 2:45 PM
5.0 kilometer(s)
17 species

Falcated Duck (Mareca falcata) 25
Eastern Spot-billed Duck (Anas zonorhyncha) 12
Tufted Duck (Aythya fuligula) 4
Ring-necked Pheasant (Phasianus colchicus) 1
Great Crested Grebe (Podiceps cristatus) 15
Eurasian Coot (Fulica atra) 1
Black-headed Gull (Chroicocephalus ridibundus) 10
Black-tailed Gull (Larus crassirostris) 20
Herring Gull (Larus argentatus) 40
Great Spotted Woodpecker (Dendrocopos major) 1
Gray-headed Woodpecker (Picus canus) 1
Oriental Magpie (Pica serica) 8
Long-tailed Tit (Aegithalos caudatus) 4
Red-flanked Bluetail (Tarsiger cyanurus) 10
Daurian Redstart (Phoenicurus auroreus) 4
White Wagtail (Motacilla alba) 5
Eurasian Tree Sparrow (Passer montanus) 200

View this checklist online at https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S54115468

Attachments

• NT4A4352.jpg
    NT4A4352.jpg
    437.7 KB · Views: 5
  • NT4A4362.jpg
    NT4A4362.jpg
    455.8 KB · Views: 5
  • NT4A4372.jpg
    NT4A4372.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 12

xuky.summer has 3 posts and has not updated their blog for 3 years.
I was hoping to find an article like "Key field marks to separate Mongolian and Vega gulls" but knew if was luxury 8-P. We are talking about 2 similar species, 4 ages, 2 plumages and lots of variations. I have my books ready and digged out some articles online. I'll exclude Slaty-backed for now keep it simple.

Attachments

• 20190324_001121.jpg
    20190324_001121.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 5
Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back