• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Panjin Birding by the Old Fat Man (13 Viewers)

More MAR-7 pics

A few more pics from March 7th

Attachments

• Eastern Spot-Billed Duck.jpg
    Eastern Spot-Billed Duck.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 9
  • Greater White-Fronted Goose.jpg
    Greater White-Fronted Goose.jpg
    248.4 KB · Views: 11
  • Oriental Magpie building nest.jpg
    Oriental Magpie building nest.jpg
    459.9 KB · Views: 9
  • NT4A2669.jpg
    NT4A2669.jpg
    221.6 KB · Views: 12
  • NT4A2601.jpg
    NT4A2601.jpg
    243.2 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
Interesting find

I had almost forgotten about this interesting little piece. While birding last fall, I looked down for footing on a rough and potted pathway along the DaLiao river bank and the sunlight just happened to strike this stone right for an inscribed Chinese character to stand out clearly. The stone is so chipped and water worn that unless the light strikes it just right the character disappears. At the time it had some mud caked in the scribing, which highlighted it. I mistakenly cleaned out the mud looking for other writing. I have had it sitting on a shelf since last fall with the idea of just getting a piece of chalk to make a rubbing and have it stand out more clearly. As with many things here, you can’t just walk into the store and buy some chalk. If I were still teaching I would just filch a small piece from the chalkboard. It is old as it is chipped and broken, but the edges have all been water rounded. It was found across the river from the old fort at Yingkou and in what I think was fill from dredging the shipping channel.

The clearest character is “Tian” 天 which could be Heaven, Sky, God, Nature, etc. Even that has one leg almost entirely worn away, but which under just the right light is clear to the Mark I eyeball. There are several places which might be more worn characters (note a small character in the upper right) which Chunxia thought might be an ancient text which she couldn’t read. However when she turned it just right and the Tian popped out she became obviously uncomfortable with even talking about it. Now the family seems to be uneasy about it but not sure about whether I should keep it of not.

Attachments

• NT4A2697 (1).jpg
    NT4A2697 (1).jpg
    299.5 KB · Views: 13
  • MarkUpNT4A2697 (1).jpg
    MarkUpNT4A2697 (1).jpg
    300.2 KB · Views: 11
March 12, 2019 RongXing Reservoir

Seven hours made for a full day birding yesterday. The group talking about using my efforts in their environmental education efforts apparently are serious about it. Clear blue skies appeared in the morning instead of the clouds predicted so my wife made a phone call and by 9:00 a car and driver showed up. I decided to check out RongXing Reservoir as I had found nesting Black-Winged Stilt there last summer but had not been able to check on migration there. The villages around the lake have now been fully abandoned and there is now a boardwalk extending well out into the surrounding marsh. Should be good for Black-Winged Stilt, Herons and Egrets in the summer. There was very little human activity, with only three or four other vehicles circling the lake.

The lake was dotted with large and small mixed flocks of ducks, primarily Common Pochard. Mixed were Tufted Duck, Common Coot & a few Ferruginous Duck. One odd duck accidentally captured in a photo led to some discussion on the ID forum and it seems to be most likely a hybrid of Bayer's Pochard. Too bad it had to be an unknown hybrid as that would have made for a nice lifer.

One lifer that I did collect was a small number of Common Goldeneye that were hanging around with some Tufted Duck.

Along the shoreline were the earliest Great Crested Grebe that I have recorded so far. A small group of Gadwall was noted in the binoculars and Smew were scattered about. A few Herring Gulls were scattered about. A couple of flights of Swan Goose circled the lake but then went back to the surrounding agricultural land. The same for one small flight of Bean Goose just a bit too far out to differentiate Tundra/Taiga. A flight of Great Cormorant made a low pass over the lake, skimming the wave tops, but also decided not to land.

Several birds down in the wetlands surrounding the lake were several small brown bird types but the lake action kept me from investigating those closer. Vinous-Throated Parrotbill were a likely candidate, but I couldn't say for sure. Chinese Penduline Tit were also a possibility as we did find a couple of old Penduline Tit nests. The mystery bird that I have been hearing but not seeing for several weeks, made its appearance. They are always in reed marsh and with a tremulous, downward pitched call. I would guess at a wader of some sort, but that is only guessing.

After completing a 10km circuit of the lake the rest of the party, being Chinese, couldn't conceive of missing lunch, so we moved over to the fishing port of Erjiegou for seafood. I pointed out that we were burning daylight and losing the light as clouds were moving in on the horizon, but to no avail.

After lunch, I did check out the tidal mudflats at Erjiegou as there was almost a 12 meter tide swing. The mudflats were fully exposed but it is still a bit too early for the usual crowd there. Literally the only thing we found were two Herring Gull.

RongXing Reservoir, Liaoning, CN
Mar 12, 2019 10:00 AM - 12:30 PM
Protocol: Traveling
10.0 kilometer(s)
Comments: One experienced and two novice birders
14 species

Swan Goose (Anser cygnoides) 25
Gadwall (Mareca strepera) 5
Eastern Spot-billed Duck (Anas zonorhyncha) 37
Common Pochard (Aythya ferina) 1150 Five large flocks on the lake and numerous small groups
Ferruginous Duck (Aythya nyroca) 10 Resting on lake in mixed flock or Common Pochard & Tufted Duck
Tufted Duck (Aythya fuligula) 25
Common Goldeneye (Bucephala clangula) 10
Smew (Mergellus albellus) 30
Great Crested Grebe (Podiceps cristatus) 25
Eurasian Coot (Fulica atra) 250
Herring Gull (Larus argentatus) 5
Great Cormorant (Phalacrocorax carbo) 20
Oriental Magpie (Pica serica) 2
Eurasian Tree Sparrow (Passer montanus) 10

Attachments

• Common Pochard.jpg
    Common Pochard.jpg
    366.1 KB · Views: 11
  • Tufted Duck in middle of Common Pochard flock.jpg
    Tufted Duck in middle of Common Pochard flock.jpg
    373.3 KB · Views: 9
  • Ferruginous Duck in mixed flock.jpg
    Ferruginous Duck in mixed flock.jpg
    328.9 KB · Views: 5
  • Mixed flocks on RongXing Reservoir.jpg
    Mixed flocks on RongXing Reservoir.jpg
    328.9 KB · Views: 5
  • Bayer's Pochard ?.jpg
    Bayer's Pochard ?.jpg
    259.4 KB · Views: 13
RongXing photos

Some more photos from RongXing

Attachments

• Common Goldeneye.jpg
    Common Goldeneye.jpg
    111.1 KB · Views: 6
  • Common Goldeneye (2).jpg
    Common Goldeneye (2).jpg
    165.4 KB · Views: 10
  • Great Cormorant.jpg
    Great Cormorant.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 8
  • NT4A2892.jpg
    NT4A2892.jpg
    177 KB · Views: 7
  • Woodpecker activity.jpg
    Woodpecker activity.jpg
    277.1 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
March 12, 2019 Delta Reservoir

After striking out at Erjiegou our driver, who had brought his own binoculars, was pleased enough with how things had gone so far, so he asked where I wanted to try next. I had several fairly close options, but decided to check out the third large lake in south Panjin. I didn't know the Chinese name for the lake but did know it was just a few kilometers north of Erjieguo. This led to an argument in that he insisted there was no lake there. I insisted I was sure there was and he then insisted that there used to be but it was dry now. I finally convinced him to just try and see. I hadn't brought my local map, which does show the lake, so I had to just use dead reckoning and my sense of direction but did manage to find the somewhat hidden single entrance. Right up to the point where the lake suddenly revealed itself directly in front of us both he and my wife were insisting we were wasting our time. The lake is big enough that even then they both initially insisted it was the shore of the Bohai Gulf. Only after we had driven all the way around the shoreline did they finally accept it was indeed a lake. In all fairness it is only about 3 km from the nearest shoreline and 5 km from Honghaitan both of which were visible from the rim of the lake.

Much the same cast of characters as were at RongXing but in smaller numbers. The one addition being some Mallard Also the weather had rapidly changed with a strong northerly wind being quite biting and the sky now fully overcast.

I had to include this Great Crested Grebe as a candidate for "Best Dressed" That ought to impress the ladies!

Delta Reservoir, Liaoning, CN
Mar 12, 2019 2:15 PM - 3:30 PM
14.0 kilometer(s)
Comments: One experienced and 2 novice birders
12 species

Swan Goose (Anser cygnoides) 25
Mallard (Anas platyrhynchos) 30
Common Pochard (Aythya ferina) 125
Tufted Duck (Aythya fuligula) 15
Common Goldeneye (Bucephala clangula) 10
Smew (Mergellus albellus) 10
Common Merganser (Mergus merganser) 4
Great Crested Grebe (Podiceps cristatus) 20
Eurasian Coot (Fulica atra) 20
Herring Gull (Larus argentatus) 10
Great Cormorant (Phalacrocorax carbo) 10
Oriental Magpie (Pica serica) 2

Attachments

• Great Crested Grebe (1).jpg
    Great Crested Grebe (1).jpg
    282.9 KB · Views: 3
  • Great Crested Grebe.jpg
    Great Crested Grebe.jpg
    254.1 KB · Views: 3
  • Goosander.jpg
    Goosander.jpg
    357.9 KB · Views: 10
  • Mallard.jpg
    Mallard.jpg
    330.8 KB · Views: 7
  • Smew.jpg
    Smew.jpg
    259.5 KB · Views: 6
March 12, 2019 RongXing Reservoir

I just realized I mistakenly listed the Swan Geese twice. Actually should only be for the Delta Reservoir. Already corrected in eBird.

Hi Owen, that looks like a Baer's Pochard to me. I've only seen a handful of them so am not an expert. That head is pretty green. Are people calling it a hybrid because the flanks are so brown?

Looks like another great site!

Yeah, I initially was calling it a Baer's Pochard but the ID forum tends towards Ferruginous x Baer's. The reasons for their rejecting the Baer's vary but mainly seeing the head as peaked, a white eye color and the flanks being too dark. Some think it too small, but size is notoriously easy to misjudge even with two birds in the same image so that I tend to discount.

Checking the original RAW image, which is much better detail than the restricted size JPEG that is allowed for posting here, I see a golden eye with a small dark pupil and the head "peak" to me looks more like a highlight shining off the top of the head. The sides are darker than the ideal but again on the RAW image do show some lightening just about the waterline. There are some pics from Korea and Japan classed as Ferruginous x Baer's that do look a lot like it however, particularly this one suggested by Joern Lehmhus on the ID forum: http://www.birdskoreablog.org/wp/wp-...2-1024x684.jpg

Personally, I value your opinion as high as anybody's for anything here. I wish it had caught my attention at the time so I could have gotten a better study of it on the camera. Usually I'm better at spotting the odd or out of place but I was focused more on getting a shot of the Tufted Duck at the time.

A nice mix if waterfowl Owen - and congratulations on ticking Goldeneye.

I agree that the Baer’s type is a hybrid. There is really nowhere near enough white on the flanks and the eye colour is not conclusive on my screen. I had to look at hybrids recently to ensure the Ferruginous Duck at San tin was not one!

Cheers
Mike

A nice mix if waterfowl Owen - and congratulations on ticking Goldeneye.

I agree that the Baer’s type is a hybrid. There is really nowhere near enough white on the flanks and the eye colour is not conclusive on my screen. I had to look at hybrids recently to ensure the Ferruginous Duck at San tin was not one!

Cheers
Mike

Hi Owen, I asked a friend to look at it and he's saying hybrid as well for the reasons you mentioned on the ID forum. Keep your eyes open! They must move through your area in small (or maybe large?) numbers and right now is that time.

Enjoying all your travels, Owen. I'm interested in the woodpecker damage - does anyone know which birds make such large wells? They are impressive!

Hi Gretchen!

I believe, from past observations, that a Grey-Headed Woodpecker is the most likely candidate. It's not uncommon to see extensive excavation like this from them. Usually digging out ant or termite nests. There were four trees looking like this in about a 500m stretch.

They will sometimes tap a few times on the trunk of a tree and then cock their head putting their ear up close to the surface. I assume listening to hear any insect activity they might have stirred up.

Liaoning Shuangtai Hekou National Nature Reserve March 18, 2019

It was another very busy day yesterday. The offer came in from my retired vice-mayor friend for a trip down to try and find the Spotted Seal in the Liaoning Shuangtai Hekou National Nature Reserve. Weather was predicted to be wonderful, but that forecast turned out to be considerably less than accurate. However, I wasn't going to miss a chance for an outing into the off limits area, so off we went.

We were turned away at the main entrance gate despite his trying some intimidation including the, "What is your name and who is your boss?" routine. That was a minor detail as we just found our way in through the back way. At least mostly skirting along the edges of the prohibited area. By the time we found ourselves back to the river we were both pretty vague about where we were and he had been down to asking me which way to go for some time. I mentioned the "Prohibited Area" signage a couple of times and he said not to worry as it was "OK" for him.

My vague sense of where we were based on my mental map and sense of direction did manage to find the Crane grounds and the start point for walking back to the Seal area. Not caring to make the almost 2 km walk down the boardwalk in the howling winds, I decided to try again another time. The weather had degraded as we made our way in and was a good Force 7 steady wind with gusts considerably higher. Just keeping my balance was a challenge much less trying to keep that telephoto reasonably steady. A tripod would have just blown over anyway.

Good and bad news. The area is a huge flat reed marsh almost undisturbed. However, there is current work underway filling and leveling establishing a site for another tourist attraction along the line of Honghaitan, which is on the opposite bank of the river. Hopefully it will have the same good factors as Honghaitan. We ended up coming out through the same gate where we had been denied entrance, but typical China, no questions were asked about that.

An interesting birding report from the trip to follow this soon. (I'm still arguing a couple of species with ebird)

Attachments

• NT4A3466.jpg
    NT4A3466.jpg
    252.7 KB · Views: 4
  • NT4A3449.jpg
    NT4A3449.jpg
    434.8 KB · Views: 3
  • NT4A3452.jpg
    NT4A3452.jpg
    323 KB · Views: 3
  • NT4A3517.jpg
    NT4A3517.jpg
    399.1 KB · Views: 6
  • NT4A3522.jpg
    NT4A3522.jpg
    120.3 KB · Views: 3
Shuangtai Hekou birding

The biting wind and dark skies didn't make for the best conditions, but the delta of the Liao river did have a good variety anywhere the birds could find a slightly depressed area to get a little shelter. Other than a few gulls and one far distant possible Hen Harrier that I couldn't ID for sure, most were down resting, waiting for a better day.

My first find was a flock of Saunder's Gull that were mostly just hunkered down next to a little pond. Occasionally a few would try to fly but quickly went back to ground. I did get my best shots yet showing how the eye ring makes their eyes look extra large.

A short distance later at a larger, better sheltered pond, was a good selection. Both Saunder's and Black-Headed Gull were grounded along the fresh mud. The pond was right next to the river and the tide was out exposing the mud. A few Common Shelduck had caught my eye from the road and a small group of Common Redshank probed at the mud right next to them. One exceptionally dark colored individual made me think at first that I had found some Spotted R. but no such luck. However, in the background with just its head occasionally popping up from the water channel it was working was a single Eurasian Oystercatcher. Their not usually seen here this early, but apparently it wanted to get a head start.

Arriving at a side channel off the main river there was a mostly abandoned little fishing port but nothing to be seen but a few Herring Type Gull big enough to manage to struggle with the wind. Most of the gull to be found were resting on a lake.

I spotted a good looking Ring-Neck Pheasant standing just out of a bed of reeds and looking around like "Where's all the women?"

Another little drainage channel offered just enough shelter to be harboring a good variety of ducks. Some Mallard stubbornly trying to fly against the wind and repeatedly giving up and returning to their little strip of dry land attracted my attention and I fired away with the camera trying to capture the variety birds trying to keep as low of a profile as possible to the wind. Falcated Duckwere in a large group with another large group of Green-Winged Teal right next to them. With a few Gadwall and a lone Bean Goose back in the reeds just enough that I only noticed it in the binoculars.

All in all an interesting day showing an area that I would expect to be fantastic in just two or three more weeks. There are much more extensive boardwalks extending out into the salt marsh than even Honghaitan has and at least for now has very few people about.

Attachments

• Saunder's Gull.jpg
    Saunder's Gull.jpg
    215.5 KB · Views: 6
  • Saunder's Gull (1).jpg
    Saunder's Gull (1).jpg
    263.5 KB · Views: 7
  • Common Redshank (1).jpg
    Common Redshank (1).jpg
    313.8 KB · Views: 7
  • Common Redshank - Common Shelduck - Saunder's Gull.jpg
    Common Redshank - Common Shelduck - Saunder's Gull.jpg
    327.6 KB · Views: 7
more pics

Some more pics from Liaoning Shuangtai Nature Reserve and my list.

Liaoning Shuangtai Hekou National Nature Reserve, Liaoning, CN
Mar 18, 2019 9:45 AM - 12:00 PM
10.0 kilometer(s)
11 species (+1 other taxa)

Taiga/Tundra Bean-Goose (Anser fabalis/serrirostris) 1
Common Shelduck (Tadorna tadorna) 5
Gadwall (Mareca strepera) 2
Falcated Duck (Mareca falcata) 50
Mallard (Anas platyrhynchos) 20
Green-winged Teal (Anas crecca) 25
Ring-necked Pheasant (Phasianus colchicus) 1
Eurasian Oystercatcher (Haematopus ostralegus) 1 Single early migrant. On far edge of mixed flock. ID better verified with binoculars
Common Redshank (Tringa totanus) 8
Saunders's Gull (Saundersilarus saundersi) 70
Black-headed Gull (Chroicocephalus ridibundus) 35
Herring Gull (Larus argentatus) 30

View this checklist online at https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S5399985

Attachments

• NT4A3534.jpg
    NT4A3534.jpg
    541.2 KB · Views: 6
  • Falcated Duck.jpg
    Falcated Duck.jpg
    410.6 KB · Views: 8
  • Mallard.jpg
    Mallard.jpg
    410 KB · Views: 5
  • Mallard (1).jpg
    Mallard (1).jpg
    420.7 KB · Views: 6
Hi Owen, you're getting in the good stuff and areas now. Keep those relationships on good terms and the gates will continue to open (or at least the back doors will still be available :) I smiled as I read your description of the wind. I know the feeling of trying to look through a scope on those days, both keeping it steady and keeping your eyes from watering up.

Saunders's in breeding colours are beauties. I think you mean Eurasian Teal above ;)

Also, I've seen the seals in Jinshitan and Laotieshan so they do get around. I've heard they give birth on ice flows in the Panjin area and have seen photos of that.

Sounding like a productive Spring so far.

I think you mean Eurasian Teal above ;)

It's bad enough identifying a new tic but just to keep us on our toes, there is reclassification. According to the current IOC World Bird List - Gill, F & D Donsker (Eds). 2019. IOC World Bird List (v9.1). doi : 10.14344/IOC.ML.9.1. -
https://www.worldbirdnames.org/bow/waterfowl/

Anas carolinensis "Treated as conspecific with A. crecca by NACC, H&M4"
ebird now has both lumped together as "Green-winged Teal (Anas crecca) and just to simplify my own record keeping I stick to their system. Indeed though, my field note was ET.

—————————————

The new relationships are seeming to develop well. I've had some really bad experiences with attempted Chinese partnerships before but this time I am too old to obtain a work visa anyway and am approaching it as a consulting role. I am really pushing for them to find someone, preferably with a teaching background and at least some English skill to actually head the program.

I just got a call as I was typing this for a meeting tomorrow to go over some bulletins and flyers that I was able to obtain in Chinese concerning conservation and threatened birds in particular. They also are asking about field guides for the Chinese audience. I have recommended your guide of course, but do you have any others to mention?

MAR-18 Gedalou Reservoir

Surprise! The previous post for March 18 at Liaoning Shuangtai was just half the day! To my surprise, after we finished there I was actually encouraged to pick another location for further field work. I know a side road that winds along the river, but I was unable to convince him on that one as he was convinced it was the road to Jinzhou. I tried explaining that road was on the other side of the river but finally just gave up and suggested Gedalou Reservoir as it is almost always a good option. So off to Gedalou we went.

Gedalou was even better. Partially at least because the wind wasn't quite as bad as it was right along the shoreline. My host was impressed enough by the two times he has been out there with me that he began musing as soon as we arrived about maybe opening an office location there.

The species in biggest numbers this time were the Common Coot. Two large flocks I estimated at about 800 birds. Common Pocahrd also were scattered about mixed with Smew & Tufted Duck as usual.

The second issue I was working out with ebird was that they still insist that my reports of Great Crested Grebe at Gedalou are mistaken. Therefore, every time I am out there I make sure to get ID photos of them even though I already have plenty of examples on file already. Sure looks like GCG to me. There was a flock sleeping on the water of mixed winter and summer plumage.

The usual Black-Headed Gull & Herring Type Gull were present but mostly only the Herring fighting the winds.

As we drove around the lake I spotted a drained fish pond in a sheltered location with a large congregation of mixed species. A lone Grey Heron was standing close to the road and posing beautifully but as I got out and struggled with the camera he decided to relocate. Turned out I had accidentally switched it off as I got out of the car 8-P The duck population just studiously ignored me and continued foraging through the soft muck. The prize was a few Northern Shoveler out in the open, close enough for a good shot and not bobbing up and down on the waves. Also to be found were more BH Gull, Ferruginous Duck, Green-Winged Teal, Eastern Spot-Billed Duck, Falcated Duck and even a couple of Dunlin on the far bank.

At that point we decided that it had been a good outing and headed back home.

Attachments

• Common Coot.jpg
    Common Coot.jpg
    284.9 KB · Views: 2
  • Common Coot (1).jpg
    Common Coot (1).jpg
    350.5 KB · Views: 7
  • Smew.jpg
    Smew.jpg
    219.7 KB · Views: 8
  • Smew (f. upper left - m. upper right) w- Tufted Duck (f).jpg
    Smew (f. upper left - m. upper right) w- Tufted Duck (f).jpg
    326.1 KB · Views: 8
  • Great Crested Grebe (1).jpg
    Great Crested Grebe (1).jpg
    235 KB · Views: 5
Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back