• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

digiscoping with Leica apo scope (1 Viewer)

mike davidson

My good friend Brian Finch , best birder in Kenya uses a panasonic lumix fz 200 for his great pictures but this does not digiscope.

Is there an attachment for the camera to fit the scope, or what reasonably priced camera would fit the bill . He is looking at spending $150 .

I will buy for him in uk next week

Mike D in Nairobi

Mike,
If he likes the superzoom then the new Canon SX50 is the new king , with it's 24 - 1200 mm lens. Twice the reach of the Panasonic and into digiscoping range. It has Raw and built in 1.5x and 2x teleconverters. The advantage of the superzooms is that you can hand hold, even for video.
The fz200 lens is too long for digiscoping so he would need a short 3/4x zoom compact and some sort of universal adapter setup as most cameras these days don't have adapters to set up on the scope. Some of them will fit snuggly into the rubber eyecup ( works better on angled scopes) or it's easy to fit some rolled cardboard cut to length .
Hi speed burst mode is better for this setup so look at the Nikon P310 or similar from Panasonic/Canon.
Neil.

Neil

thanks very much for this info . Will review for him

Mike

Mike,
If he likes the superzoom then the new Canon SX50 is the new king , with it's 24 - 1200 mm lens. Twice the reach of the Panasonic and into digiscoping range. It has Raw and built in 1.5x and 2x teleconverters. The advantage of the superzooms is that you can hand hold, even for video.
The fz200 lens is too long for digiscoping so he would need a short 3/4x zoom compact and some sort of universal adapter setup as most cameras these days don't have adapters to set up on the scope. Some of them will fit snuggly into the rubber eyecup ( works better on angled scopes) or it's easy to fit some rolled cardboard cut to length .
Hi speed burst mode is better for this setup so look at the Nikon P310 or similar from Panasonic/Canon.
Neil.

Neil

Hi again . I have looked at prices of the cameras you recommend and they are above his price range , max $150 .
any further thoughts from any one
Mike

Mike,
Neil.

Neil

Hi again . I have looked at prices of the cameras you recommend and they are above his price range , max $150 .
any further thoughts from any one
Mike

Mike,
Have a look at B and H at cameras in the $150 range for cameras with lenses in the 28 - 112 mm range ( 35 - 112 mm is the optimal ).
One of the problems I find with cameras at the low end these days is they are very small and fiddly. I used to like the Canon A series cameras for digiscoping but I don't know anyone using them today. A good place to start though.
Neil.

My good friend Brian Finch , best birder in Kenya uses a panasonic lumix fz 200 for his great pictures but this does not digiscope.

Is there an attachment for the camera to fit the scope, or what reasonably priced camera would fit the bill . He is looking at spending $150 .

I will buy for him in uk next week

Mike D in Nairobi

Mike,

Can you be more specific about which Leica scope. The newer 82 mm APO scope, or the older 77 mm APO scope. For the latter it is important to know which eyepiece is used.

Marcel

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back