• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Pink-tailed Cedar Waxwings (1 Viewer)

Fandango739

GeoBird
United States
I had a happy encounter with a flock of Cedar Waxwings yesterday. Out of 176 birds, there was one odd bird out. It had a pink tipped tail. Not orange, pink - just like the pink wing spot. Is this just a genetic fluke? The four leaf clover of Cedar Waxwings? Or is this a regional trait? Or something else completely?

Thanks!!

The tail band in Cedar Waxwings is influenced by diet. Various shades of red or orange (and likely pink) are not uncommon among those feeding on exotic honeysuckle vines during molt in the late summer.

Andy

I had a happy encounter with a flock of Cedar Waxwings yesterday. Out of 176 birds, there was one odd bird out. It had a pink tipped tail. Not orange, pink - just like the pink wing spot. Is this just a genetic fluke? The four leaf clover of Cedar Waxwings? Or is this a regional trait? Or something else completely?

Orange tail tips are a well-known result of the birds eating the berries of an introduced species of honeysuckle during feather growth. Never heard of pink tail tips, however.

Last edited:
The thread title suggests more than one (plural). If it is not as a result of diet, then perhaps it could be colour painted ( for study purposes ), a common but old practice before the introduction of other means such as satellite / wing / leg tagging. Certain areas of the plumage were dyed with a highly visible colour for easier location when scanning flocks......though I highly doubt this practice is still continued.

Last edited:
Was it anything like this Bohemian Waxwing with a 'waxtail' (red wax tips on some of the tail feathers)?

Attachments

• IMG_2210b.jpg
    IMG_2210b.jpg
    231.4 KB · Views: 27
I remember seeing one in Tennessee a number of years ago that also seemed to have a pink tail tip. As for the one down here... well, this is Florida, the land of exotic and invasive species. Heaven only knows what the bird might have been eating!

Thank you all for sharing your knowledge!

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back