• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Trinidad & Tobago (1 Viewer)

killik

Hi all.
I will be visiting T&T in a couple of months.
I would love to get a new field guide for the area, and am looking
for reccomendations from anyone who has been to this area.
thanks in advance.
Andrew.

There's only one candidate:

Martyn Kenefick's guide 'Birds of Trinidad and Tobago'

It's a Helm field guide and excellent in the field.

The previous guide was heavy and had poor colour plates.

We loved the place, and visited both islands recording 197 species an a little over 2 weeks, AND saw leatherback turtles laying eggs too!

Jon

Agree with Jon on the field guide. The other useful book for directions to good birding locations is 'A Birdwatcher's Guide to T&T' by Bill Murphy. His website also gives lots of useful info. Any specific info you're looking for feel free to PM me.

Re: Trinidad and Tobago Guides

Hi Guys.
Thanks for the response. I have a little bit of confusion regarding the reccomended guuide. Amazon shows two, almost identical. They have the same picture on the cover, but the one available for immediate delivery doesn't have the Helms labal on the cover, and is titled "Field Guide to the Birds of T&T" and has Kenefick's name listed at the top of the 3 authors.
The one with the Helms logo on the cover is titled "Birds of T&T" has Kenefick's name 2nd on the list of authors, and will not ship for 3 to 6 weeks.
The cost is virtually identical. I'm guessing that the Helms one is sold primarily in the UK, and the other the US version, but am not sure. I'd hate to get the wrong one based on a guess. So any clarification would be most welcome.
Thanks.
Andrew

I have no doubt that these are essentially the same, and as you say, intended for the two different sides of the pond.

I have a Caribbean bird book (the hardcover version of the Raffaele guide) which occur in two versions just like this one, but once opening the book, the two versions are indistinguishable.

Niels

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back