• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Best 50mm ED travel scope for the money (1 Viewer)

Nikon 50ED new grey-market from Japan for ~$300 (shipping included; straight model still easy to find through Amazon USA) body only, plus a 27x eyepiece off eBay for about $175 new "buy now" price.

Here's the straight model:
https://www.amazon.com/Nikon-Field-...d=1&keywords=nikon+ed50&qid=1586997636&sr=8-6

--AP

The 13-40x zoom is pretty decent as well, just a lot bigger than the 13-30x which is usually part of the package.
The Nikon eye pieces are all pretty decent imho, just a bit snug on eye relief and FoV. That said, the zoom is really convenient for scanning shorelines before zooming in on birds of interest.

The 13-40x zoom is pretty decent as well, just a lot bigger than the 13-30x which is usually part of the package.
The Nikon eye pieces are all pretty decent imho, just a bit snug on eye relief and FoV. That said, the zoom is really convenient for scanning shorelines before zooming in on birds of interest.

The fixed eyepieces aren't "snug" on FOV or eye-relief, but both zooms certainly are, which is why I don't like them.

The fixed eyepieces are generous on both counts. Very comfortable for most users with glasses.

As for scanning, the true FOV of the 27x is 2.7 degrees, whereas either zoom at 13x is 3.0 degrees. Consequently, I find it much easier to use the fixed 27x to scan at full working magnification rather than having to fiddle with zooming out to get the FOV and then back in to get the magnification.

--AP

I personally use the "old" 13-30x most of the time with my ED50. It's quite a bit smaller and lighter, somehow fits that tiny scope better IMO.

Hermann

Yes indeed. My ED50 at 27x has been everywhere. Skip the zoom, in my opinion. The 13-30 (or whatever it is that came with it) has never seen the light of day.

That and a sweet little CF tripod and we're off!

The combo rarely makes it through airports without some scrutiny however. You have to explain things--like oh that's a spotting scope. No that's not a bomb it's a tripod. 8-P

My favorite though is explaining a Steripen. They x-rayed it and said "That's a funny looking toothbrush you got there." Another explanation ensued.

Thank them all.

Last edited:
OP have you considered the Kowa TSN-553? Its the 55mm version of the more popular 88mm unit with flourite crystal lens. Its pricey, but you havent indicated that price is a concern..... image quality is hard to beat. I havent compared it to the Nikon but it was significantly sharper against the Razor when i had a chance to look through both...

I don't have one....and never will but...as a suggestion. Instead of one of those small spotting scopes for travel, why not just pick up a nice superzoom ....some are better than others.
Canon Powershot Series SX730, 740 or SX620 OR Lumix DC-ZS70. The earlier Lumix DC ZS60 might even be better as while it doesn't have a flip screen

Either case...these are excellent, very portable....nice quality images produced. I feel that while superzooms are not a spotting scope or a camera or a pair of bins, they do have their place. For travel, they are perfect It would seem...just a thought but good luck on whatever you select, jim

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back