• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

(AS) What is the meaning of "Endemic" (1 Viewer)

Hello to everyone out there! I just decided to ask you guys what endemic means, because I have been seeing it almost EVERYWHERE in the "Birding world!" What does it mean when a bird is endemic to the area? Does it mean that it is endangered?
Thanks for taking your time!
AS:eat::t:

Hello to everyone out there! I just decided to ask you guys what endemic means, because I have been seeing it almost EVERYWHERE in the "Birding world!" What does it mean when a bird is endemic to the area? Does it mean that it is endangered?
Thanks for taking your time!
AS:eat::t:
Wikipedia said:
The ecological state of a species being unique to a defined geographic location, such as an island, nation, country or other defined zone, or habitat type; organisms that are indigenous to a place are not endemic to it if they are also found elsewhere.
;)

Found there & nowhere else. Nothing to do with population size or threat of extinction as such though endemics confined to small geographic areas are often small in numbers and therefore more vulnerable to extinction than more widespread species.

Have a look in the Opus Dictionary AS.

You'll find many birding terms explained in there - if you can't find one that puzzles you, just post in the Opus Discussion Area, and it will be added.

EDIT: LOL I see I was a bit late to the party, as usual!!

Note, too, that outside of the birding world (and zoology in general), the word endemic can have a slightly different meaning - for instance, when referring to diseases it just means that a disease is found in the region, regardless of where else it is found.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back