• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (48 Viewers)

Today there were 14 of us on the work party. We installed and carried the new tern raft from the tool shed to the east side.
We also launched the 3 old rafts 2 on the Moors and 1 on the North Moors , where turns are regularly feeding.
Many thanks to Charles Lewis one of our Tuesday crew. He built and designed the new tern raft.B :)
I will post Dave H's photos tomorrow, as I have just got back from the reserve and I am cream-crackered.

Birding at the reserve

Unfortunately no migration of any note, other than swift and a few hirundines and a small influx of common tern.
The rain finally arrived at about 5pm for about 10 minutes, too late and too little.
MOORS
GCG are definitely down on normal with only 3 birds seen. Little grebe were quiet and I would expect to see young soon. Gadwall pr, mute swan pr +6 cygnets, cuckoo
Warbler numbers overall seem down as well. A couple of whitethroats sang along the east side plus blackcap and a chiffchaff.

FLASHES
Gadwall 3 (pr + male), Shelduck 5 (2prs + m), Tufted 20, Avocet 28 ads + 4 broods of 4:2:2: and the latest brood of 4. LRP 6, 1 clutch due to hatch at the weekend. oystercatcher 2, lapwing 4, buzzards, rook, stock dove 12, linnet 12, garden warbler, chiffchaff,

Re the new tern raft.
We were able to upgrade to a real 'des res' tern raft thanks, to donations, permit money and sales of the annual reports. So thanks to those that contributed and the Tuesday crew for installing it and of course Charles.

All money raised at the reserve, from whatever source is ploughed back into running Upton Warren. :t:B :)

Re the new tern raft.
We were able to upgrade to a real 'des res' tern raft thanks, to donations, permit money and sales of the annual reports. So thanks to those that contributed and the Tuesday crew for installing it and of course Charles.

All money raised at the reserve, from whatever source is ploughed back into running Upton Warren. :t:B :)

Here's a link to a hastily cobbled together movie on my Flickr site of the 'des res'!
https://www.flickr.com/photos/forgetfulelephant/14045142730/in/photostream/

Rob

1. Skulking Cetti's Warbler
2. 'See there is a design flaw, there's not enough uprights for all of us to lean on!' 8-P

Rob

Attachments

• DSC_6220.jpg
    DSC_6220.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 86
  • 2014-05-20 09.33.09.jpg
    2014-05-20 09.33.09.jpg
    610.1 KB · Views: 129
Hi Sarah - there should hopefully be 12, the broods of 4:2:2 that are around two weeks old now plus a further brood of 4 that emerged on Sunday.

4 broods
Pair G: 2 chicks 20 days old feeding to left of hide (Archipelago).
pair H: 4 chicks 20 days old feeding to left of hide (Delta)
pair J: 2 chicks 14 days old feeding in front of hide (Saucer)
pair R: 4 chicks 4 days old feeding on far 'east' shore of 2nd Flash

Total 12
Pair S on new shingle island nearest to sewage works should have hatched today.

Last edited:
4 broods
Pair G: 2 chicks 20 days old feeding to left of hide (Archipelago).
pair H: 4 chicks 20 days old feeding to left of hide (Delta)
pair J: 2 chicks 14 days old feeding in front of hide (Saucer)
pair R: 4 chicks 4 days old feeding on far shore of 2nd Flash

Total 12
Pair S on new shingle island nearest to sewage works should have hatched today.

Open shore or in among the reeds? Our observations from last year suggest that those broods that move to reed-lined shores show lower survival and slower growth rates, yet another reason we wish to halt (and ideally reverse) the spread of the phragmites.

Today's highlights:

FLASHES:
LRP (6)---------------------Avocet (26)+4:4:2:2 chicks
Oystercatcher (2)-----------Lapwing (2)
Shelduck (4)*---------------Gadwall (pr +2m)
Tufted Duck (21)------------Garden Warbler
Cuckoo 'bubbling' behind area of Hen Pool.
*A Shelduck made faltering steps up the slope to the prepared nesting area, but slipped off the slope and moved away.

MOORS:
Avocet (2)------------------Oystercatcher (2)+ 2 chicks on Pool island.
Little Grebe (3)--------------Common Tern (7). One of the older rafts was occupied by B H Gulls.
G C Grebe (3)---------------Greylag Goose (1)
Kestrel----------------------Shoveler (m)
Gadwall (2)------------------Tufted Duck (45)
Mute Swan (2)+ 6 young-----Whitethroat (3)
Cetti's Warbler (1)

N MOORS:
Whitethroat (2)-------------Tern raft not occupied.

SAILING POOL-ED RES
Whitethroat (3)-------------Grey Wagtail.

Des.

*A Shelduck made faltering steps up the slope to the prepared nesting area, but slipped off the slope and moved away.

Following on from the magnificent new tern raft, I wonder if Charles can turn his hand to making Shelduck ladders?

Open shore or in among the reeds? Our observations from last year suggest that those broods that move to reed-lined shores show lower survival and slower growth rates, yet another reason we wish to halt (and ideally reverse) the spread of the phragmites.
part of this feeding zone has the 'dead area' where the salt has killed off all the vegetation. This area has been used by successful pairs in the last few years. But agree, that further north where the reeds dominate the shore line food is not plentiful. With several broods expected in the next few days it will be interesting to see where they feed.
The cattle had been grazing the emergent phragmites shoots, but to a lesser extent of late. I fear that it will soon smoother some of the previously good muddy edges.
Last year the avocet broods were staggered over an 8 weeks period, allowing broods to fledge whilst others hadn't even hatched. The late hatching broods took over the vacated feeding zones and resulted in a bumper breeding total of 32 fledglings. However this year, the period between first and last hatching will be only 5 weeks, so I think there will be a few conflicts ahead. This situation has already been exacerbated by the marauding LBBG's, that are entrenched along the meadow shore line. From where they launch their attacks on the BHG colony, unfortunately this is the area where at least 3 broods were raised last year. Hopefully the feisty nature of the parent Avocets will remove this threat. Otherwise the normally low mortality rate of avocet chicks could well increase.

Last edited:
Last year the avocet broods were staggered over an 8 weeks period, allowing broods to fledge whilst others hadn't even hatched. The late hatching broods took over the vacated feeding zones and resulted in a bumper breeding total of 32 fledglings. However this year, the period between first and last hatching will be only 5 weeks, so I think there will be a few conflicts ahead. This situation has already been exacerbated by the marauding LBBG's, that are entrenched along the meadow shore line. From where they launch their attacks on the BHG colony, unfortunately this is the area where at least 3 broods were raised last year. Hopefully the feisty nature of the parent Avocets will remove this threat. Otherwise the normally low mortality rate of avocet chicks could well increase.

I think the other problem will be that the BHGs seem to have nested earlier this year so by the time the latter Avocet broods (and LRPs) emerge most of the BHG chicks will already of such a size to be out of the reach of the larger gulls, leading them to focus on the wader chicks.

DAVE H's Photos below
photos from yesterdays launchings
1. Charles our designer and builder well done Mate:t:
2. thats what you call an anchore, I think he found it on a dunkirk beach
3. Rob launching the North Moors raft

Attachments

• forum 1. ELaunching New Tern Rafts 20th May 2014 (17).jpg
    forum 1. ELaunching New Tern Rafts 20th May 2014 (17).jpg
    181.1 KB · Views: 102
  • forum  2 .15.Launching New Tern Rafts 20th May 2014 (25).JPG
    forum 2 .15.Launching New Tern Rafts 20th May 2014 (25).JPG
    254.5 KB · Views: 106
  • forum 3AALaunching New Tern Rafts 20th May 2014 (38).JPG
    forum 3AALaunching New Tern Rafts 20th May 2014 (38).JPG
    269.3 KB · Views: 107
Last edited:
The forecasters cant get it wrong twice, can they?

Hope there is some decent coverage of the reserve tomorrow. The forecast of overnight heavy rain and easterly winds, combined with further rain and east / south-easterly winds tomorrow will hopefully something a bit rarer than the current fare for the last week descending on to the reserve.

Birds of interest moving in the country at the minute include godwits, Sanderling, Grey Plover, Temminck's Stint, Wood Sandpiper, Pectoral Sandpiper, Turnstone, Red-necked Phalarope, Black Tern, White-winged Black Tern and Little Gull.

I will be throwing a change of clothes and my bins into the car tomorrow morning just in case ....

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back