• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

So Hows your 2006 Yearlist Going then ? (1 Viewer)

I finished on 219 for the UK but with the Turkish Trip and the Spanish trip last week my full total reached 328 for 2006.

John

South Africa and Canon S3 made it a good year

I didn't have time for a lot of birding in the USA this year, so my 2006 total was only 132. However, a trip to South Africa in December added 126 new year birds, all lifers for me. A couple of hours in London (UK) added another 16 species for 2006. So my year's total was 274.

SA was amazing for birds but, unfortunately, I spent most of my time with non-birders and so I couldn't really take advantage of, for example, two days in Kruger Park. The latter was still great, though, because of the animals we saw: 20+ lions, 2 leopards (one with its kill), a rhino, a hyena, several buffalo, baboons, a family of vervet monkeys, 20+ elephants and lots of giraffe, warthogs, hippos, crocs, impala, wildebeest, water buck, steenbok, kudu, nyala, etc. We were disappointed not to see cheetahs or jackals but ...

I bought a Canon S3 is shortly before the SA trip and I'm very glad that I did so. I used my camcorder a lot for birds because it has a 25X optical zoom, but I also got a lot of good bird pics with the Canon. It worked absolutlely brilliantly for photographing animals, places and people. I'll post some pics when I have time.

BTW, although we heard lots of horror stories about crime, we didn't have any unpleasant experiences. In fact, we had no problems at all and we thought everyone we met was extremely friendly and helpful.

Jeff

Conflicting list totals

B :)
StevieEvans said:
On your marks, get set........

Yes the year might be finished but confusion on the UK totals.

I see that Surfbirds give BOU British totals of:
1) Ian Robinson 352
2) Lee G R Evans 340 (and Britain & Ireland 352)

but a Lee G R Evans email on the UK400 email group gives:
1) Lee G R Evans 354 species
2) Mick Frosdick 343
3) Malc Curtin 333
4) John Clements 326
5) Marc Read 323
6) Ron King 316
7) Seth Gibson 314
8) Nick Smith 314
9) Andrew Holden 313
10) Josh Jones 311.

Ian Robinson is shown as the number 1 lister on Surfbirds but no mention of him in the Evans list!!

Lee's total on Surfbirds states that it is only counting up to mid November. Assuming that he's counting with UK400 rules on the UK400 list, then that means he saw two additional species in the last 6 weeks of the year.

If you're in any doubt about why LGRE's top 10 contains the people and the numbers it does, why don't you email him in person? I'm sure he'll be able to talk about it with more authority than anyone on here, since he compiled it.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back