• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mallorca 2016 (1 Viewer)

Thank you. I gather they are best seen in the scrub on the left hand side of the reservoir after leaving the car park. Hope to get there next day or so.

I saw a male at Cuber last Wednesday (18th) singing from wires and bushes by the last "pylon" on the left before the dam. I also had a female grubbing around in the scrub behind the "bothy" type building where the paths meet.

Stew

Thanks Stew

Been up there today was very quiet but managed a brief view of a nice Moltoni in scattered pines half way down to the dam, but always mobile and then it disappeared. Fairly quiet overall with just a few vultures kites and other stuff .

I'm there at the end of June for a week and am interested to know what birds I might see. I won't have transport.

Hello!

Here you have a link with some information about sites and buses to birding areas:
http://www.ctolagola.com/english/birding-sites-and-links/

The bus 352 stops at s'Albufereta Reserve, s'Albufera Natural Park and Son Real (acces from the beach past the stream of Son Bauló).

Contacts of three birdwatching companies:
Mallorca Natural Tours; [email protected]
Wildlife Mallorca; [email protected]
Balears Wildlife; [email protected]

Birds: Eleonora's Falcon usually feed on beetles and cicadas in s'Albufereta and s'Albufera (Son Bosc area) during that season. Also in other sites like Mortitx or fields not far from Pollença.
Black and Griffon Vulture can be seen sometimes from Bóquer Valley, Albercutx Tower or the road from Pollença to Lluc (Vall den March for example).
Balearic Warbler, Blue Rock thrush, Crag Martin, Booted Eagle, Eleonora's Falcon, Wryneck... in Boquer Valley and surroundings.
Spotted Flycatcher (balearic subspecies) everywhere, and Woodchat Shrike (mediterranean subespecies) in the almond three fields not far from Bóquer.
Purple Gallinule and Red-knobbed coot at s'Albufera Natural Park and Bee-eaters in Son Bosc. These are some examples.

Last edited:
Spectacled warbler and Rock thrush

Today we have gone the highs zones of the Puig des Teix, near Valldemossa and we have confirmed some very interesting species are nesting in Majorca's mountains.

They are Spectacled warbler (at least 2 pairs maybe more), Rock thrush (1 o 2 pairs), Tawny pipit (quite abundant) and wheatear (several pairs).

Attachments

• MSaxatilis.jpg
    MSaxatilis.jpg
    475.8 KB · Views: 146
  • Trencamates2.jpg
    Trencamates2.jpg
    488.9 KB · Views: 131
  • Trencamates.jpg
    Trencamates.jpg
    483.3 KB · Views: 118
  • Campestris.jpg
    Campestris.jpg
    398 KB · Views: 111
Some wonderful birds Pep, well done and thank you for posting. Both Rock Thrush and Spectacled Warbler are very hard to see here in Mallorca. Mike

If you wouldn't mind Pep, could you say where the best place to start the walk from please? I understand that it is a long way, about how long does it take? Many thanks, Mike

Thanks Martin. Six hours eh? I had better put my hiking boots on, next Sunday is the first free day for me so I will give it a go. As the birds are breeding they should at least still be around. Mike

Under Teix peak

Hi Mike and Martin,
It is not really 6 hours, it is this whole trip.
From Valldemossa you should go to Coma de Cairats, starting on the last curve before the village.
From there there are 1.45 o 2 h (walking slowly but very steep) to the flats areas under Teix Peak.
The return will be around 1.20 or 1.30.
The time you stay there up the mountains is up to you. ;)

HI, I've written up some notes from my recent short break from 15th - 20th May, which is hopefully attached to this post.

Graham Hearl's book gives the mirador at Albercutx as a breeding site for pallid swift. Certainly in May 2006 when I visited with a birding friend for some intensive Mallorca listing we saw what we were happy were pallid swifts, going in and out of the caves which can be seen when looking down from the far end of the mirador. Since then I've been several times, and recently although I've seen birds that look good for pallid swifts I've not been 100% certain. Does anyone know the status of this colony now?

Attachments

• Mallorca May 2016 (pdf).pdf
    1 MB · Views: 311
What a pleasure it was to read your report Stew, many thanks.
It's a shame that this spring has been quite disappointing with few raptors through and small numbers of other migrants. Every year is different here so there are some plus points too like good numbers of Bonelli's warblers and Ortolans buntings.
Hopefully autumn will compensate.
I am not sure of the status of the colony of Pallid swift near the mirador.
I will check with the locals and post on here but I feel sure nothing has changed. Certainly, traveling around the Island by boat, I was amazed just how many colonies of Pallid swift there are breeding in the rocks all around Mallorca.
Lovely birds and thankfully much more information about identification features is now available. It's also much easier to pick them out at the moment before any young Common Swift are on the wing. Mike

Last edited:
Ah, back today and a good quick red kite and hoopoe on the way to the east made the journey worth it. As luck would have it our hotel cancelled on us as the wifey complained about no hot tub or similar so a late booking three minutes drive from S'Albufera followed! Didn't seem a lot about but still plenty. Purple and Squacco herons in flight, along with corn bunting, Sardinian W, Robin, Whitethroat, marsh harrier griefed by black winged stilt who were in good numbers, purple gallinule, red K coot, glossy ibis, ringed plover, young and adult Kentish and same for yellow wag, little and cattle egret, shelduck, mallard, gold and greenfinch, stonechat, yellow legged gull(again griefed by stilts) swallow, swift, passing corvids and masses of wood pigeons. Have photos but no laptop access until
Change location midweek, will probably wait til back in Blighty to upload tho unless it's an odd un. And spuggys plenty of them.

Hi Hartley Poole
Glad you got settled in an hotel after that bit of drama.
Robin is a good record as they have nearly all left the Island by now.
However, every year there are a handful that stay to breed. Where exactly did you see it please? It's always good to log any possible breeding records. Thanks and good birding. Mike

Hi Hartley Poole
Glad you got settled in an hotel after that bit of drama.
Robin is a good record as they have nearly all left the Island by now.
However, every year there are a handful that stay to breed. Where exactly did you see it please? It's always good to log any possible breeding records. Thanks and good birding. Mike

Albufera near wooden bridge on main path 7pm

Rollers….

Two Rollers have recently been seen by Malcolm, one at Can Curassa on Friday and one yesterday at Son Real. Mike

But not seen by this Malcolm unfortunately!!!!! I'm back in sunny Scotland.
I do remember the one at C'an Curassa very well though, outstanding in fact!!
;)

Cheers
The other Malcolm

The excellent talk by Miguel Mc Minn and Pere Tomas is to be repeated tonight at 8pm.
The address is: Carrer del Metge Llopis 1, Port de Pollenca.
It is a most informative and ground breaking seminar not to be missed so if you are able to make it, you are in for a treat.
It's also a great chance to meet other birders and have a chat.
Mike

I was trying to have a quiet Sunday yesterday but the phone kept going, two separate reports of Coal Tits locally. I wondered what was going on but the first report of five birds turned out to be young Great Tits but it would appear that the second sighting was genuine. Photos are on their way. If it is Coal Tit then it will be a very rare sighting indeed, there has only been one seen this year. I will post the photo. Mike

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back