• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Seen or heard any good programmes? (1 Viewer)

What about Bill Oddie's earlier tonight? It was another dose of natural talking from the friendly fella. I liked seeing the Red Squirrels, the birds weren't much cop though except for those crafty Kittiwakes nesting on the buildings and bridge in Newcastle. Some may not think them clever for mistaking them for cliffs. He will be on the Norfolk Broads next week.

Life of mammals was great with the huge Blue Whales and next week is going to be a good one as David will be talking to the camera with a Meerkat looking out from his shoulder!

For me the Halcyon River programme will take some beating. I doubt if I ever will forget the impact made on me when the mink snatched the kingfisher from the water.

Andy

It has been on twice recently so I doubt if it will be shown again in the near future.

It was a superb programme and if I ever get to find out that it is on again I will have my tape ready. That is one for posterity - to be watched over & over again.

For those who missed Bill Oddie last night (like me), the program is on BBC 2 NI (channel 962 on digital satellite) at 4.05pm today.

I asked the Beeb about reshowing the Halcyon River programme but they have no plans at present. I have a PC programme that alerts me to any programme I want so I have put it in and if it is to be shown again I will post it here. (Try www.digiguide.com - you can tell it you like programmes about birds, birding etc and it will let you know whenever a programme is shown on whatever subjects or actors you put in - on any channel including Sky etc - a brilliant programme)

Being from the North-East, I found Bill Oddie's program a little disappointing last night. I'm not sure why he stayed so close to Newcastle itself. There are some wonderful birding sites just a few miles up the river which attract a wide range of species every day. Even a trip to Tynemouth or South Shields would have been great for the sea watchers.

Thornley Woodland Centre on Derwentside would have been a perfect site to visit with perhaps the best Winter feeding station in the North and he would have seen more Red Squirrels too !

Not one of his better programs I'm afraid.

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back