• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Zeiss SF 8x32 vs Swarovski SV 8x32 (2 Viewers)

Got my hand today on the new SF32 and grabbed the 32SV for comparison. Unfortunately the Leica UV32 was not there;)

Taking the SV in my hands, the tubes feel smaller at the mouse of my hands because of the thumb grips this model has. Something the SF lacks and because of that it feels really bigger. Space between the bridges is 1 mm larger for the SV and the tube diameter is only 4 mm smaller so that can't be it.
Taking a look at the position of my focus finger after having used the bins, I see that they are at the exact same position with the SF as with the SV. So the position of the focus knob of both bins is irrelevant (for me).
Checking the balance while resting the bins on my thumbs/mouse of my hands, it turns out both are heavier on the objective side. No difference here.

Looking at the eyecups, from a distance, the exit pupil of the SF is perfect round with no leakage what so ever from the prism.
The SV shows prism leaking and also perfect round exit pupils.

It's obvious. The SF has no FF was my first impression. While the FOV seems to be 15 meters wider compared to the SV, the edge to edge sharpness of the SF is less.
Looking at the leaves of trees in the direction of the sun, both show glare in the same amount.

The focus knob of the SF has a diameter of 35 mm where the SV shows 29 mm. The SF is super smooth with no lash where so ever.
The SV just hasn't has that smoothness and the well known difference in left right turning resistance due to its spring design.

The view through both is superb and while looking through them both show piscushion and it strikes me while looking for that, the SF shows a blue ring round the outer FOV, where the SV shows no sign of anything but clear view.
Looking straight through both bins (and now I noticed it) it is hardly visible with the SF but clearly visible while looking near the edges of the FOV.

Both have the same close focus distance but a price difference of 450,00 euro in favour for the SV. Ouch!!!

Is the FOV visible wider in the SF? The SV shows edge to edge sharpness where the SF doesn't and yes, the view through the SF is wider but to be honest not noticeable wider to me. Just once measuring it and looking for it, it is there but during "normal observations" .........nehh.

This is going to be a tough job for Zeiss to shoot the SV out of the water, due to the current price drop of the SV, but the SF is a superb piece of art.

Jan

Thanks for the report Jan!

Your kind of reminds me of buying a new vehicle. I've always been a BMW guy. What's not to like? Lately I just wanted a change(mainly dealer related) so I bought an Audi about two months ago. I thought it drove better than the BMW and the interior was a little nicer. Also it had a little better GPS and several other things I really liked(this IS a binocular forum so I'll be brief!). Lately though...I'm seeing BMWs cup holders are in the RIGHT place, I don't have the storage behind the rear seat the BMW had, and BMW had the whole center console down to a T. So while I still like the Audi....I DID give up some things I really liked about the BMW. You can't have it all!

Thanks again!

Regarding the blue ring round the outer FOV...

Can anyone share what causes this to be present (what it represents), and what is usually designed into a set of bins to prevent it?

Last edited:

Can anyone share what causes this to be present (what it represents), and what is usually designed into a set of bins to prevent it?

I'm a bit puzzled as well, I saw it in the first 8x42 SF version.

Something about the behavior of the focusing lens element from what I have heard. I'm sure the experts here can elaborate on that...

Didn't see it in the later black 10x42 SF.

But I thought Zeiss did "fix" that....

Last edited:
It's obvious. The SF has no FF was my first impression. While the FOV seems to be 15 meters wider compared to the SV, the edge to edge sharpness of the SF is less.

Looking at the leaves of trees in the direction of the sun, both show glare in the same amount.

Jan

Great, thanks for the insights...:t:

Is it the big AFOV that makes it hard to see all of the FOV without moving the bin around?

Same amount of glare? Really? Or did you mean flare?

Possibly reflections behind the eyepiece's diaphragm. The Zeiss SF 10x42 had a similar problem. Allbinos said it was caused by "The binoculars don’t have any distinct baffles inside tubes but one ring right outside the objective system shines noticeably. It is possible that ring is the source of reflections visible behind the diaphragm of the eyepiece."

https://www.allbinos.com/304-binoculars_review-Carl_Zeiss_Victory_SF_10x42.html

Last edited:
Possibly reflections behind the eyepiece's diaphragm. The Zeiss SF 10x42 had a similar problem. Allbinos said it was caused by "The binoculars don’t have any distinct baffles inside tubes but one ring right outside the objective system shines noticeably. It is possible that ring is the source of reflections visible behind the diaphragm of the eyepiece."

https://www.allbinos.com/304-binoculars_review-Carl_Zeiss_Victory_SF_10x42.html

I don't think that has something to do with the blue ring, it's another issue.

I saw it more like a shadow, at the edge of the FOV, probably not relevant during normal viewing, I certainly didn't see it all the time.

Last edited:
I saw the blue ring in the very first 10x42 grey model I tried when they first came out, I have`nt seen it in any black models, but it was there in the grey 10x42 Zeiss loaned me recently.

I`m more concerned that the 32 may not match the rear weight bias of the 42, I find I can hold them up indefinitely without tiring, I`v never experienced this in any other full sized bino, of course the lower weight of the 32 may make it a non issue.

Great, thanks for the insights...:t:

Is it the big AFOV that makes it hard to see all of the FOV without moving the bin around?

Same amount of glare? Really? Or did you mean flare?

Hi Vesp,

Glare or flare, that is the question;)

Looking with the sun in my back (blue sky at 14.00 hours) both deliver a bright image. Shifting towards the sun, both show the same amount of flare/glare to me. That misty cloud on that side of the image where the sun is positioned which get bigger when the image is more positioned to the direction of the sun.

Regarding the AFOV, I really can't see so much difference between the two.

Jan

OMG. Blue rings, red rings, multicolored rings, weight distribution ...

Why don't you just wait until you can check out the binoculars yourselves?

Hermann

The one thing that bothers me more is people filling up threads just complaining about Dennis.

That's why, since the mods aren't willing to make him go away, the rest of us should simply ignore him. The more people respond and humor him and give him the attention he craves, the more these threads get filled with garbage.

(and yes, I recognize that I'm contributing, but F him, I'm so sick of it)

That's why, since the mods aren't willing to make him go away, the rest of us should simply ignore him. The more people respond and humor him and give him the attention he craves, the more these threads get filled with garbage.

(and yes, I recognize that I'm contributing, but F him, I'm so sick of it)

I'm not a fan of banning people since this is a public Forum and everybody has to be able to say, within reason and moderators bordering, what he wants to say.
Ignoring is a bit like banning.......... but by God, so tempting.B :)

Jan

Ignoring isn't anything like banning, because he can still drool his drivel on the floor, you just don't have to see it (unless someone else quotes him). Banning is when the adults are so sick of the gross mess on the floor that they throw him out of the house completely. I understand the hesitance, but given the literal decades of annoying behavior and the fact that everyone probably wishes he would just go away, it would be warranted. If this was a FB birding group I ran, he'd be LOOOONG gone.

But I encourage you, and everyone else, to put him on "ignore" so you aren't even tempted to give him the attention. It's like "herd immunity", once enough people ignore him there's not enough habitable hosts available for his virus to spread to the community and any disgusting infections he causes disappear quickly

mine is post #39 this thread

posts by Dennis- 7
posts about Dennis- 16, now 17

I have forgotten what this thread was about.

edj

Last edited:
Just so this thread can move on, and not get stalled on a Dennis Discussion like another previously:
1. He is as entitled to his opinion as any one else
2. Banning on the basis of opinion is dangerous, and he rarely has a pop at anyone else or gets offensive
3. He is a Binocular Butterfly, admittedly
4. There is the 'ignore' function if you don't want to read anything he posts
5. Please try not to get so annoyed by it all! It's only a discussion on binoculars, not the United Nations.....
6. The sidetracking of threads is caused more by the discussion on the discussion - i know i'm doing it now, but hopefully to help stop it happening!
cheers
Paddy

Thanks, for that, Paddy. It is hard not to get some people mad about your posts sometimes on Bird Forum because your posts are misunderstood or people take them the wrong way or your opinions differ vastly. To be honest I disagree with a lot of posts and some people are annoying and downright boring. I do change my opinion a LOT and I know that annoys some people but don't we all to a certain degree. Sometimes I post what I am thinking to get some feedback to help me make a decision and I think that confuses people. We're just talking about binoculars so if I rub you the wrong way just put me on ignore. I have people on ignore not because I dislike them but I find them pretty predictable in what they are going to say and I don't really find it that interesting. Sometimes I post something that just makes people decide they don't like you but they really don't know YOU. All they know about you is what you post. So then they decide to follow you around and attack you on every post no matter what you say. Let's get back to the thread.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back