• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Confused: Swarovski, Zeiss, 8x, 10x (4 Viewers)

Pat, are the winged eyecups a Swarovski accessoire?
And what is a PIA?

and I think that PIA has been explained!

Mijn excuses Kees, zoals mijn Nederlandse oom zou zeggen, godverdomme Pat, dat is nieuw voor mij!

Iโ€™m leaning toward a 10x 42. Iโ€™ve always been a 7-8 power guy, but a ten would give me a true alternative to my 7x35. I barely notice the difference between seven and eight.
I've said before the difference between 8 and 10 is not that big.
7 to 8 is even smaller... but 7 to 10 seems quite a big and worthwhile jump.

That is not the norm.

Most normal people buy something, and then use it, rather than obsessing over how much they can get for it after the next thing catches their eye, or they are tired of it, or their constant search for flaws makes them unhappy with it.

Donโ€™t fall into that trap.
Normal people, really? So your now the arbiter of what is normal when people buy something ๐Ÿ˜œ.

I buy something I use it , then I obsess on keeping it in pristine condition so I can get the most amount of money if I sell it. Then I obsess over the next thing that catches my eye when I get tired of the thing I previously bought, while on the constant search to get around the flaws that make me unhappy.

Buying new things that give pleasure, keeping them nice (obsessing) if I ever want to sell , looking for the next nice thing to buy that catches my eye and learning about the flaws in a piece of equipment brings a great deal of pleasure and excitement, I donโ€™t call it a trap, I call it another joy of life.

Id say if KeesJ can afford it , buy both or all of them and get to know each one , which you like the most and then if you want sell the others. Now that is normal. ๐Ÿ˜

๐Ÿ™๐ŸผโœŒ๐Ÿผ

William and Maljunulo, I agree on your point about some people never really being content.
Lol. If you look through history it seems that many of the great thinkers who built our civilization, sky scrapers, our maga cities , the steel industry, banking, weapons that keep us safe, etc. etc. weโ€™re not the most content people. Wouldnโ€™t it be nice if more people were not so content , and strived for success. Maybe the world would be a better place, where most people could go out and buy every or any optic they want and then just decide which ones theyโ€™ll keep. ๐Ÿ––

Lol. If you look through history it seems that many of the great thinkers who built our civilization, sky scrapers, our maga cities , the steel industry, banking, weapons that keep us safe, etc. etc. weโ€™re not the most content people. Wouldnโ€™t it be nice if more people were not so content , and strived for success. Maybe the world would be a better place, where most people could go out and buy every or any optic they want and then just decide which ones theyโ€™ll keep. ๐Ÿ––
One of my favorite posts recently.

I joined this forum back in 2008 when my Leitz 7x35 Trinovids finally bit the dust and I decided to buy a nice replacement. Most of my buddies at that time had Swarovski ELs or SLCs, so I was leaning that direction. After taking ELs and an Ultravid home for the weekend, I ended up liking the EL more.

But by then I was hooked on this forum, and accepting every tiny critique as a huge problem. No binocular seemed immune to trouble, CA, rolling ball, depth of field, perceived lack of sharpness, color tint, 3D or lack there of, glare, oh my was my head spinning. I bought three more bins over the next year. All that and I found myself looking for faults in my binoculars and obsessing over them rather than just enjoying the view. I finally said enough and dropped out of the forum for ten years and just used my binoculars. My enjoyment went way up. Iโ€™ve come back, but with a different attitude. I feel like the state of the art has finally surpassed my early 2000 Ultravids enough to justify an upgrade. Iโ€™m 73 now, so these will be my last big optical purchase. Iโ€™ll take my time deciding with a good understanding that all our eyes, faces and taste are different, so my decision will be based on actual in hand use. That said I still value other opinions and experiences, thatโ€™s why Iโ€™m here.
Just back. Nother lovely day at Las Galinas. Valle Vista manana.

Without dissatisfaction there is no sale. So the spectacle of our world is based on our grievances. It's a game created by marketing that never wants us to be satisfied, because than it wouldn't sell as much. But it's good to stop a little and get out of this vicious circle, at least from time to time, and to learn that peace and contentment does not depend on what we consume but on the friends around us

That is not the norm.

Most normal people buy something, and then use it, rather than obsessing over how much they can get for it after the next thing catches their eye, or they are tired of it, or their constant search for flaws makes them unhappy with it.

Donโ€™t fall into that trap.
When anyone talks about "most people" they (including me) are usually actually referring to themselves. And on this topic I am pretty much like you in that I am content with my combo of SF8x32 and Trinovid HD 8x32 for different circumstances and although I enjoy reviewing different models this doesn't make me regret being reliant on the SF and Trinnie.

But IMO there is room in the world for folks who like to keep on trying different binoculars rather than simply being content with what they have got. This urge to try different binos might be driven not by frustration with the inadequacies of the binos they have tried, but by the joy of variety and the discovery that different views can deliver different pleasures. So it is not necessarily a case of falling into a trap. IMHO.

This urge to try different binos might be driven not by frustration with the inadequacies of the binos they have tried, but by the joy of variety and the discovery that different views can deliver different pleasures. So it is not necessarily a case of falling into a trap.
Great post in its entirety, but I quoted this well worded part because it was in essence what I was planning on posting.

There is not just a single reason that can cover all people and why they do a certain thing. Even people who buy one and never look again can be driven either by their ability to simply adapt to what they have and be content, others might lack the wherewithal, be it the money to buy, or the time to go through the process of finding what they'd really like to have. No matter what we buy in life, there are now so many choices available, thanks to the benefits of capitalism, that it becomes a difficult journey to take, with each user deciding for themselves if it's worth the effort to them to bother trying to find their own perfect match or not.

After having determined years ago that I couldn't afford a good pair of binoculars, I shrugged my shoulders and gave up. I've since found out that the pair I thought I needed, while a good match for me, was actually bettered by its smaller, and more affordable sibling, in the Leica 8x20 format. Now that I've got an ever growing stable of binoculars, it's still the tiny 8x20 Leica that is my most perfect fit, and there's no way that I'd have ever determined that if it hadn't become an enjoyable hobby in the last couple of years.

If I'm caught in a trap, it's not of any manufacturers making, but one of my own, and still enjoyable for the time being.

Without dissatisfaction there is no sale. So the spectacle of our world is based on our grievances. It's a game created by marketing that never wants us to be satisfied, because than it wouldn't sell as much. But it's good to stop a little and get out of this vicious circle, at least from time to time, and to learn that peace and contentment does not depend on what we consume but on the friends around us
I read sentiments like this...perhaps more often than I would like. As a former marketing guy, with 3 product managers reporting, to accomplish the new product planning effort, do all the pricing and forecasting as well as write the annual marketing plan, for a decent sized business not unrelated to optics, I can tell you this is not how it works. Nor is it how we think. I could go on....

I get that human relationships are far more important to a quality life, but it'd be pretty hard to get through the day without certain objects that make life possible and sometimes even enjoyable.

Indeed, just as when they (we) offer advice, it usually consists of what we think we would do under the described circumstances.
Unless asked specifically what I would do, my default mode has always been to try understand what the other person is wanting or would likely benefit from the most. Makes me feel more helpful to try and give them what they want, and really, that's the type of help that I appreciate the most.

Hi Dorubird, I am a long time lurker at bird forums. I must say, I find your posts appreciating the beauty and benefits of your existing squad of binoculars to be quite inspiring. In particular, your ode to the MHG made me appreciate my own one a lot more! Thanks for being you :)

Hi Dorubird, I am a long time lurker at bird forums. I must say, I find your posts appreciating the beauty and benefits of your existing squad of binoculars to be quite inspiring. In particular, your ode to the MHG made me appreciate my own one a lot more! Thanks for being you :)
Thank you rran6136, for nice words!
About MHG 8x30 is often presented as the ugly duckling or a cinderella in the world of expensive binoculars:) But I don't see him in that way, because MHG also has unique qualities!

PS
In general, I like to emphasize the qualities of a binocular more than the minor problems. I quickly learn to get used to certain binoculars and I learn to like the different character of any binocular, especially if it is from any prestigious company. However, I admit that I also have some fixations on certain problems, especially with very expensive models, where my expectations are proportional to their price

Users who are viewing this thread

Back