• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Looking for comparisons between 8x32 SF and 8x40 SFL. (1 Viewer)

Zedster,

My mileage is 50 mpg city/49 mpg highway (Kia Niro :)).

For me, it's the opposite. To use Lee's terms, roofs feel like "shaking hands with an alien." That was the case with the 8x42 EDG II, which I could not hold steady no matter what grip I tried. I would have to mount it on a tripod, which takes away the freedom of movement I expect with an 8x bin. It's smaller brother, the 8x32 EDG, while still somewhat "alien," has at least enough fingers to shake hands with. The 8x42 EDG had a great image but was a poor fit for my hands/fingers. I preferred the EDG I with the open bridge design, which were on the market for 60 seconds before Nikon replaced them with the EDG II.

I can hold steady two roof designs: open bridge (double bridge) such as the EDG I and Swaro EL and "open hinge" designs such as the Swaro CL and Cabela Guide, which have small bridges that are set back toward the EPs, which allows enough room for my fingers to wrap around the barrels. Same with the SLC HD, which also has deep thumb indents.

Porros offer more "real estate" for my large hands, and better thumb support, even the dimunitive E2. I don't wear glasses, but that would be a factor with the E2s with thier 13.3mm ER.

I agree about twist-up cups being better than the rubber fold-down kind since you can adjust them to the height that works best for you, whether you wear glasses or not. However, in general, porro prism eyecups tend to be wide, so large that sometimes I can't fit them the into my eye sockets including the Swift 8.5x44 820 Audubon, Nikon 7x35 Aculon, and Vixen 7x50 Foresta. Even the 8x32 SE's eyecups barely fit. I had to replace the SE's wide and deep eyecups with the shorter but same diameter E2's.

The new Oberwerk SEs are supposed to give a great "bang for the buck," another benefit of porros, because the design is simple. Porro prisms don't need phase coatings or dielectric coatings, and they don't need a dozen lens elements on each side to give a sharp image. And the collimation doesn't have to be as precise as roofs. The Obies have twist-up eyecups, but maybe not enough useable ER for eyeglasses wearers (15mm useable). They are also a bit heavy for their size but they are waterproof/fogproof.

What wasn't mentioned is porros superior 3-D image, which I think you once wrote doesn't matter to you. I find porros helps bring out the birds from the background better than roofs. But I also find the 3-D view more natural and aesthetically pleasing.

It's a good thing you live in a time when roofs rule the world. When I was growing up, there were few roof prism binoculars, and those that existed were not as bright and not as sharp as porros, because they didn't have phase or dielectric coatings on their prisms. Porros dominated the market, and they all had fold-down rubber eyecups. Now with a plethora of roofs to chose from, the only factor you have to consider is if they have enough ER for your glasses. In terms of sports optics, we are living in the Golden Age.

Brock
My mileage is around 120mpg. But it's a Prius Prime so I'm kinda cheating. Mostly electric in town. :)

My experience is that collimation is more problematic in Porro's but maybe that's due to the lower end ones I had that went out of alignment. But I've had a pair of Nikons and Pentax porros go out of alignment and never had a pair of roofs do this.

Although the porro design has more area I find the grip awkward. And too short.

I hear you about the 3D image but as someone who doesn't have depth perception it is an issue that isn't on my radar at all. I have zero 3D vision with anything.

Interestingly, I recently inherited a pair of original Leica Trinovid 7x35B without all the new coatings or anything and they are surprisingly nice binoculars. They have far more CA and less accurate colors than my SFs but man, they are still nice. They are surprisingly NOT terrible.

My mileage is around 120mpg. But it's a Prius Prime so I'm kinda cheating. Mostly electric in town. :)

My experience is that collimation is more problematic in Porro's but maybe that's due to the lower end ones I had that went out of alignment. But I've had a pair of Nikons and Pentax porros go out of alignment and never had a pair of roofs do this.

Although the porro design has more area I find the grip awkward. And too short.

I hear you about the 3D image but as someone who doesn't have depth perception it is an issue that isn't on my radar at all. I have zero 3D vision with anything.

Interestingly, I recently inherited a pair of original Leica Trinovid 7x35B without all the new coatings or anything and they are surprisingly nice binoculars. They have far more CA and less accurate colors than my SFs but man, they are still nice. They are surprisingly NOT terrible.I
A former neighbor's parents had a Prius Prime, which has a long wheel base, but I never rode in it. The daughter had a Prius "C", which I couldn't even get inside of. It was like entering a Mercury capsule. The Kia Niro was designed with tall people in mind even though it's compact. So, as with bins, ergonomics play an important role with cars.

Collimation can be more easily knocked out of alignment with porros due to their dog-legged prism housings; however, roof prism binoculars require much more precise (and therefore more expensive) manufacturing and collimation than porro prism binoculars.

The angle between the two prism faces in roof prism binoculars must be accurate within 2 seconds of arc, a mere 1/1800th of a degree and 300 times more precise than the 10 arc minute accuracy allowed with porro prisms. Because of the accuracy required, roof prisms are usually laser collimated and are rigidly mounted on alignment plates prior to being installed in the binoculars, allowing virtually permanent collimation. So harder and more expensive to colimate but harder to knock out and therefore less expensive to maintain.

If you don't have depth perception, you better have a rear view camera and automatic emergency breaking on your Prius Prime! But now I understand why you wrote on a post that you don't care about the 3-D view in binoculars.

My first roof was a Nikon Sporter 1. It was the first pair of binoculars I had with twist-up eyecups, which I liked, but the Sporter didn't have phase coatings or dielectric coatings, so I noticed right away that the images were as as sharp or bright as my Nikon 7x35 WF and 8x35 WF porros.

Jane Goodall seemed to like her hold roofs, which didn't have MC or phase coatings, but I'm guessing the main reason for choosing them was because they are waterproof, which is a must in the jungle. So are my Fujinon 6x30 FMTR-SX porros, but they have sealed IF EPs. The new Obie SEs are waterproof porros with center focus, and from the reviews, you don't need to be a strongman to turn the focuser like the Swaro 8x30 Habichts. APM's 6x30 MS porro is also WP and has center focus. I might buy one of those. Alas, they all too short for your hands! :)

Brock

A former neighbor's parents had a Prius Prime, which has a long wheel base, but I never rode in it. The daughter had a Prius "C", which I couldn't even get inside of. It was like entering a Mercury capsule. The Kia Niro was designed with tall people in mind even though it's compact. So, as with bins, ergonomics play an important role with cars.

Collimation can be more easily knocked out of alignment with porros due to their dog-legged prism housings; however, roof prism binoculars require much more precise (and therefore more expensive) manufacturing and collimation than porro prism binoculars.

The angle between the two prism faces in roof prism binoculars must be accurate within 2 seconds of arc, a mere 1/1800th of a degree and 300 times more precise than the 10 arc minute accuracy allowed with porro prisms. Because of the accuracy required, roof prisms are usually laser collimated and are rigidly mounted on alignment plates prior to being installed in the binoculars, allowing virtually permanent collimation. So harder and more expensive to colimate but harder to knock out and therefore less expensive to maintain.

If you don't have depth perception, you better have a rear view camera and automatic emergency breaking on your Prius Prime! But now I understand why you wrote on a post that you don't care about the 3-D view in binoculars.

My first roof was a Nikon Sporter 1. It was the first pair of binoculars I had with twist-up eyecups, which I liked, but the Sporter didn't have phase coatings or dielectric coatings, so I noticed right away that the images were as as sharp or bright as my Nikon 7x35 WF and 8x35 WF porros.

Jane Goodall seemed to like her hold roofs, which didn't have MC or phase coatings, but I'm guessing the main reason for choosing them was because they are waterproof, which is a must in the jungle. So are my Fujinon 6x30 FMTR-SX porros, but they have sealed IF EPs. The new Obie SEs are waterproof porros with center focus, and from the reviews, you don't need to be a strongman to turn the focuser like the Swaro 8x30 Habichts. APM's 6x30 MS porro is also WP and has center focus. I might buy one of those. Alas, they all too short for your hands! :)

Brock
Interestingly the Prime is longer than the regular prius but has less interior room. It's fairly roomy though tight in the rear for people 6' tall. Much much bigger than the C. But ergonomics is a hard fail in the prius. It's like they TRIED to make it hard to use. From the gear shift to the heated seats to the bizarre dash that has more info on the passenger side than the driver it's just a hot mess.

As for depth perception, it gives me a solid boost at night when depth perception is lost for everyone. Like anything you get used to it and learn other ways to judge distances.

I'm certainly aware of the difficulty in collimation and the additional expense. I found in my quality engineering life that anytime a company can slack on these things they will so my guess is that porro's have much worse collimation QC. So likely more issues arise. Not a job I would like to QC. Eek.

I'm certainly aware of the difficulty in collimation and the additional expense. I found in my quality engineering life that anytime a company can slack on these things they will so my guess is that porro's have much worse collimation QC. So likely more issues arise. Not a job I would like to QC. Eek.
All the more reason to issue work operating procedures that assure the right quality with each stage commencing with a check that the previous stage has delivered an acceptable result.

All the more reason to issue work operating procedures that assure the right quality with each stage commencing with a check that the previous stage has delivered an acceptable result.
Well yeah. If only manufacturers would actually DO this. And in process QC checks. And key and critical characteristics identified and controlled. It’s such basic stuff that I’m always astonished at how poorly many manufacturers do this. The arguments I’ve had with engineering have been epic

Last edited by a moderator:
Well yeah. If only manufacturers would actually DO this. And in process QC checks. And key and critical characteristics identified and controlled. It’s such basic stuff that I’m always astonished at how poorly many manufacturers do this. The arguments I’ve had with engineering have been epic
As an ex-QA manager, I sympathise...........

As an ex-QA manager, I sympathise...........
As a former, not the world I occupied. Wonder if it was then vs now? My own experience being from the '80s when TQM was everywhere. With NAFTA and detent with China did we throw the baby out with the bathwater? Forget?

Last edited:
As a former, not the world I occupied. Wonder if it was then vs now. My own experience being from the '80s when TQM was everywhere. With NAFTA and detent with China did we throw the baby out with the bathwater? Forget?
Absolutely 100%. A perfect example of our politicians selling out to get cheap products to buy cheap votes.

As a former, not the world I occupied. Wonder if it was then vs now? My own experience being from the '80s when TQM was everywhere. With NAFTA and detent with China did we throw the baby out with the bathwater? Forget?
I think it’s too easy blaming China. The issues are pervasive everywhere in my experience. I had some of the worst issues with well established American manufacturers. I’ve also seen some amazing work from smaller US based companies.

Absolutely 100%. A perfect example of our politicians selling out to get cheap products to buy cheap votes.
Seems a bit of oversimplification Paul. The private sector doesnt work for politicians. Indeed one may influence the other and vice versa, but the decision to wander away from the benefits of say TQM may have more to do with the shrinking of the value of the manufacturing sector and effects of globalization on the behavior in those left behind...maybe?

Seems a bit of oversimplification Paul. The private sector doesnt work for politicians. Indeed one may influence the other and vice versa, but the decision to wander away from the benefits of say TQM may have more to do with the shrinking of the value of the manufacturing sector and effects of globalization on the behavior in those left behind...maybe?
That’s because it is simple Tom. The private sector doesn’t work for politicians, it’s the other way around, or haven’t you noticed that. Companies outsourcing from countries with lower labor rates, lower quality (trained) work force, less regulations and environmental concerns all of which most American companies don’t care about one way or the other, as long as they can make their products cheaper, ship them back and make a larger profit margin. Of course they have to be a mediocre of quality control that seems to be a floating line. As we can see most of Americans and most of the western world don’t really seem to care that their consumer goods purchased are made as disposables. It’s just when your spending lots of money for the best you expect a certain level of Quality control.

I don’t want to hijack the thread so I’ll end here with this thought, it appears to me and I’m sure others can chime in on this. But it looks like many consumer products today have built-in lifespans , that the components are only made to last what the consumer will tolerate in time frames to go buy new replacements. Decades ago they might not have been able with that eras technology to build in life spans, so they built many things to last a lifetime, to a degree of course.

I have rental properties and manage a few clients multi family properties , some of which have been handed down from fathers or grandfathers. I’ve been told that general appliances have about ,depending on use at 3 to 5 year lifespan. Years ago they didn’t change the appliances for over a decade or longer. Of course this doesn’t apply to everything , think about who would’ve bought a car with over 100, 000 miles in the 60’s or 70’s. Yet today an average good used car can easily can have over 100,000 miles and still have a warranty. OK I better stop now.

That’s because it is simple Tom. The private sector doesn’t work for politicians, it’s the other way around, or haven’t you noticed that. Companies outsourcing from countries with lower labor rates, lower quality (trained) work force, less regulations and environmental concerns all of which most American companies don’t care about one way or the other, as long as they can make their products cheaper, ship them back and make a larger profit margin. Of course they have to be a mediocre of quality control that seems to be a floating line. As we can see most of Americans and most of the western world don’t really seem to care that their consumer goods purchased are made as disposables. It’s just when your spending lots of money for the best you expect a certain level of Quality control.

I don’t want to hijack the thread so I’ll end here with this thought, it appears to me and I’m sure others can chime in on this. But it looks like many consumer products today have built-in lifespans , that the components are only made to last what the consumer will tolerate in time frames to go buy new replacements. Decades ago they might not have been able with that eras technology to build in life spans, so they built many things to last a lifetime, to a degree of course.

I have rental properties and manage a few clients multi family properties , some of which have been handed down from fathers or grandfathers. I’ve been told that general appliances have about ,depending on use at 3 to 5 year lifespan. Years ago they didn’t change the appliances for over a decade or longer. Of course this doesn’t apply to everything , think about who would’ve bought a car with over 100, 000 miles in the 60’s or 70’s. Yet today an average good used car can easily can have over 100,000 miles and still have a warranty. OK I better stop now.
Simple? Nah. I believe you over simplify here Paul. You're right cars easily go well over 100K. You do know where your Iphone, etc. come from? You tell me you collected knives at a point? Reate, WE.. superb quality, with price advantage. Spydies... I have heard that appliances have moved back to the days of "Planned Obsolescence." I did say "The private sector doesnt work for politicians. Indeed one may influence the other and vice versa...." Its the vice versa that suggests things are not so simple, so simplifiable.

Simple? Nah. I believe you over simplify here Paul. You're right cars easily go well over 100K. You do know where your Iphone, etc. come from? You tell me you collected knives at a point? Reate, WE.. superb quality, with price advantage. Spydies... I have heard that appliances have moved back to the days of "Planned Obsolescence." I did say "The private sector doesnt work for politicians. Indeed one may influence the other and vice versa...." Its the vice versa that suggests things are not so simple, so simplifiable.
I guess it all depends on ones perception of complex and simplicity.

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back