• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nikon ProStaff (1 Viewer)

Ah, have not seen the 9x version. So yes, that was one of the points here, these are all waterproof, 8x, 9x and 10x, I think there is a 12x.

here is the 9x
http://www.opticsplanet.net/nikon-9x25-prostaff-atb-waterproof-all-terrain-binocular-7484.html

FOV is 293 ft, so that is over 5 degrees. That looks good. The 10x is a bit narrow, I could use it. The 12x is way too narow FOV or general birding.

All the ProStaff models are among the best compacts I have seen to use with glasses on. I still prefer my Monarchs but these are in fact OK, nearly full view. The eye cups are typical Nikon stuff, can push too hard on them, or they go in.

Last edited:
I have had the opportunity to examine the 8x25s and I thought it offered a very nice image considering the "just over $100" price tag.

I chickened out on my great 9x experiment*. Went for 10x instead. I like them. Comfortable eye cups, easy to pick up for quick views. I carry these in my shoulder bag when I am birding with the 8x40 porros.

*later got the related 9x Travelite, see below

Last edited:
I don't worry about things I have bought, unless there is something that really bothers me.

But just as an exercise, what would be the best compact porros available? You can start a thread with that title if you like.

But just as an exercise, what would be the best compact porros available?

I would be willing to bet the Bausch and Lomb/Bushnell Custom Compact 7x26s hold that honor though that Prostaff ATB model is very good in its own right.

Tero said:
what would be the best compact porros available? You can start a thread with that title if you like.

I don't have any comparative experience with compact porros. But the Pentax Papilios are great, and that special close focus is just unbelievable. I hope we'll get some comparative reports here or (preferably) in the new thread you suggested.

I took the 10x25 ProStaffs and my 10x36 Sporters and walked around a bit. The Sporters are comfortable as I have used them for a few years, but the ProStaffs are just a tiny bit brighter. If Nikon made this in a 10x32 (Is it possible, for a reverse porro?), I would be willing to use them for nearly all birding situations. The FOV is just a bit narrow, so the 8x and 9x again are probably more popular.

The glass is probably the same as the nonwterproof Travelites.

Last edited:
I guess I forgot to start the thread on compact porros. I sort of lost interest in the rating, as they look a bout the same to me. The Taigas and the ProStaffs/Travelites are likely to be very similar. If someone has both, let us know which ones you like better.

Has anybody compared these relatively new Prostaffs with the now-discontinued 8x25 Mountaineer II's?

Last edited:
Have not found the Mountaineers.

I have been using my ProStaffs quite a bit. They are my only small binoculars where I am comfortable with the eye cups. So I use these on all trips to the outdoors, where birding is not the main event. On my recent vacation found half the 25 year birds with these, half with the Monarchs.

They are not the most compact models, but that is probably why they turned out to be quite handy. I do not have to spend time getting my eyes placed just right to see with them.

Just an added note here: Travelites and ProStaffs are similar in optics, but I do recommend the ProStaffs, a Travelite name in UK, not just for the waterproof feature. The eye cups definitely are better in the ProStaff. They give the BIG binocular feel in a small bin and are comfortable for lengthy staring. Not that the Travelites are poor.

I now have 5 pair of 25mm reverse porros to use. Use them all, as they range from 7x to 10x. The 7x are zooms, but I never much use the zoom, just use them at 7x. If I need 10x, then I just bring 10x.

For 12x, I guess I would look at other brands, to get more FOV, the ProStaffs are pretty narrow.

Last edited:
Well, one is a pair of 10x Minoltas, my family uses them. I liked them OK so that when a camera store discontinued them, got another 8x pair for $25. The eye cups are not ideal for me, and I make sure either the 8x or 10x pair is at home for someone else to use. My most recent porros are Nikons at 10x and 9x.* The 10x is water proof and has been with me canoeing. All the others are not waterproof. So I seem to find uses for these. I have taken both an 8x and a 10x pair with me on trips where I need light stuff.

Eventually I plan to get a roof prism at about 30mm for my travel binocular, for when I don't have a car. I hate to haul the 42mm roof prisms to all kinds of tourist spots, the reverse porros fit in a coat pocket.

So when you all come and visit, I will just hand out all the porros unless you bring your own.;)

*I have tried to go on some trips with just one pair of bins, and it has been the 9x.

Last edited:
Tero said:
I hate to haul the 42mm roof prisms to all kinds of tourist spots, the reverse porros fit in a coat pocket.

So when you all come and visit, I will just hand out all the porros unless you bring your own.;)

Nobody seems to have a problem with people wearing binoculars Tero. When i last visited St. Louis i had a pair of SLC 10x50 with me at the Arch and i enjoyed watching the gulls. I also found a Lincoln's Sparrow in a bush in that small park there.

Well sure, some tourist spots just invite people with binoculars for the scenery. My problem is that I just seem to wear them all day, then I end up in a restaurant with binoculars around my neck. The compact models are good for just such mostly useless for birding days, where some opportunities nevertheless come up. Or when the embarrassing bins can be stashed in a pocket. AND if I am in a foreign country I NEVER leave all the bins in a hotel room, I have these or some other small model with me at all times.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back