• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Poor service from Leica (1 Viewer)

wheatear

I had my Televid 77 sent back to Leica in mid January by a local dealer in Suffolk. Objective coatings disintegrating. They stll have it and "don't know" when it will be repaired. I have had to buy a substitue scope in the meantime and am left in limbo by Leica's very poor customer care!

Virtually identical scenario for me too.APO 77 objective coating disintegrating( several friends have had a similar experience), "unsure,as to when repair can be made".

I don't know which dealer this information came from but I can assure you that Leica have NEVER charged for replacement of a Televid objective lens with damaged coating and have absolutely NO intention of doing so in the future. No information has been give to dealers to the effect that a charge will now be made.

In the past some dealers have charged customers for repairs which Leica have carried out free but obviously this is out of Leicas control.

Last edited:
Mine is being done free but being without a scope this long is difficult. Its Spring! Have a travel scope as a substitute but I love the 77 for seawatching.

Lieca service problems

I have still not got my Televid 77 back! Leica claim they are awaing spare parts they have had it since January. I really don't know what to do about this poor service and its going to happen to a lot of Leica owners when their coatings start to go!

My Leica bins have the same problem on the objective lenses: they offered to sort it out when I asked at the Birdfair but I am loath to send my bins away for an unknown length of time.

Steve

My Leica bins have the same problem on the objective lenses: they offered to sort it out when I asked at the Birdfair but I am loath to send my bins away for an unknown length of time.

Steve

I sent my trinovids to Leica to get the focussing sorted and they were back in a fortnight, complete with a nice new set of badges - great service :t: . Why not just ask them how long they expect it to take. Its always worth having a spare pair for times like this!

This is how my problem started then it got worse and most of the coating disintegrated. I have phoned them, emailed them and so have Viking Optics Suffolk many times on my behalf! Still no progress since the end of January!!!!

I have phoned, them emailed them so have my Suffolk optics dealer. Many times! As for Steve's problem that is how my problem started then most of the coating started to come off! This is a real problem for all Leica owners a new scope now costs £2,500 now. I'm not a happy birder at present.

I have to say that my Leica 77mm has been back 3 times in 5 years for recoating which is obviously not good, but it has aways been done free and turned around in 3-4 weeks. i send mine back direct to Leica. It is very noticable as the coating comes off no chance of not seeing it. they suggested I used a UV filter so I do when seawatching but take if off for general use as it affects digiscoping. I'm suprised that they have to wait for parts as i understood the lens was simply recoated.

On the positive side i have always had excellent customer service from Leica, i sent my
c10 year old scope back last year because i wasnt entirely happy with the view through it and they replaced the 20x60 zoom FOC and rejigged the main body of the scope all FOC including replacing the pullout rain cover and i have no guarantees.

I'm also told that the new scopes have a new coating on them so this problem doesnt occur and the chances are if you have not had the coating coming off after 7 years it wont. The problem occured with mine when i started doing a lot more seawatching in poor weather and had to clean the front lens more, now I'm careful it hasnt even started to happened in 18 months.

Biggest problem with the new scopes is simply the cost well out of my budget.

cheers Nick

I doubt they recoat the returned lenses as coating tends to be done in batches. And to recoat it you have to remove all the previous coatings (that haven't come off already).

More likely they get a replacement matching part and substitute it for your old lens.

The original lenses on the APO 77 are not re-coated. Brand new lenses are fitted to the 'scopes.

The new Televid APO 82 has a built-in UV filter to protect the objective.

There is no built in filter on the 65mm. Due to the size and cost of the 82mm OG lens a filter was fitted to give it protection from knocks and scratches - an optically flat filter is much cheaper to replace.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back