• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Do you ignore Leica ? (1 Viewer)

It would be stupid to ignore Leica if you take out your cash for an alpha bin. At least for me. I have five 8/8.5x42s here (SV, SLC, HT, SF, Ultravid) to compare for a couple of weeks, and the Ultravid almost instantly proved irresistable. Any of these binos has a personality, if you like it or not depends on your taste. If the designer pushes one spec, others suffer. It´s really about happy watching, and the Ultravid delivers.

I'm really looking forward to your comparative review ... :t: The only alpha that's missing in your lineup is the EDG, and that's probably not quite as interesting as the others you're looking at. At least from my point of view.

BTW, I had a chance to have a look at the HD Plus 7x42 last week, in the field. Interesting. Now I'd quite like to be able to have a long look at the other 42mm bins of that series, in the field of course.

Arthur Pinewood mentioned the Binuxit, which has a unique view. If I could have one free wish regarding binoculars - this would be it. A 21st century Binuxit.

My wish would be an updated version of the Zeiss 8x30B porro (second edition, with 130/100mm field of view) with modern coatings.

Hermann

Ahem, the Zeiss SF has a 148m@1000m FOV, so it's greater than 8 degrees. ;)

Zeiss website shows 8 degrees. This doesn't much the 444 feet @ 1000 yard which translates to 148m at 1000m as you correctly mentioned. So, the error, if any, is theirs.

BTW, my beautiful Leica 10X50 BA are waiting for a new caring owner on eBay so if you want a true classic, you still have a chance. The auction ends Sunday.

Cheers and Happy Friday everybody B :)

Attachments

• 8X42_SF.jpg
    8X42_SF.jpg
    141.8 KB · Views: 73
Last edited:
You must have steady hands to use your 8x Silverlines on your yacht while cruising on the Detroit River, which can be choppy. Perhaps it's best to use them to watch shore birds while you're docked. This way, people walking on the pier can also be impressed at the glinting gaudiness of your Leicas. ;)

Yacht on Detroit River

Good Luck! at the Detroit Regional Yacht-Racing Association's 2015 regatta. :t:

Brock

I bought my Silverlines on eBay, so I didn't pay full price. As far as my Yacht goes, it looks very similar to a kayak, and yes, that Detroit River can get very choppy where it meets Lake Erie. But it's a great place to be in September to watch the hawks flying in from Canada!

I thought you used feet in the US, not metres! Have you finally come to your senses? ;)

Hello High North,

Some of us have. Still no one seems to be using ells, links, pecks and some of the Medieval measurements. This is a big country, so the cost of change is enormous.

I still have no idea how many grains are in an ounce but there are two different ounces.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur :hi:

Leica Ultravid HD is the same as old Leica Ultravid, regardless Leica noticed. I think it was only marketing. Yes, HD lens but they have similar CA. Those binocular aren't at level of Zeiss HT or SLC HD.
That was the reason because I sold my Ultravid to buy a Zeiss FL.

Leica Ultravid HD Plus is the same as old Ultravid (or HD) but with a similar CA as my Zeiss FL.

It would be stupid to ignore Leica if you take out your cash for an alpha bin. At least for me. I have five 8/8.5x42s here (SV, SLC, HT, SF, Ultravid) to compare for a couple of weeks, and the Ultravid almost instantly proved irresistable. Any of these binos has a personality, if you like it or not depends on your taste. If the designer pushes one spec, others suffer. It´s really about happy watching, and the Ultravid delivers.

Exactly

Hello High North,

Some of us have. Still no one seems to be using ells, links, pecks and some of the Medieval measurements. This is a big country, so the cost of change is enormous.

I still have no idea how many grains are in an ounce but there are two different ounces.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur :hi:

Arthur,

Years ago I worked as a Title Searcher in North East PA where land parcels are described by metes and bounds as they are in most of the states east of western Ohio. These records are kept in the Recorder of Deeds offices in every County and describe parcels of land in the various Citys, Boroughs and Townships in the Counties. I often ran into descriptions of parcels of land that read something like this: (with some exaggeration;) ) (hand written in ink in the Deed Books) "Beginning at a stone corner in land now or late of William Penn thence continuing in a Northeasterly direction a distance of 17 chains 4 links to a Chestnut tree in land now or late of James Smith; thence in a southerly direction a distance of 8 rods to a large boulder in the bed of Bowmans Creek, Thence following said creek bed a distance of 22 rods more or less ........." ... but you get what I mean.

Bob

"That was the reason because I sold my Ultravid to buy a Zeiss FL."
And that, along with the difference in light transmission, is why I sold my Trinovid BA to buy a Zeiss FL.

"Leica Ultravid HD Plus is the same as old Ultravid (or HD) but with a similar CA as my Zeiss FL."
Thanks for these comments, Alberto.

Most HD Plus users also notice an increase in transmission over the HD. Nobody has complained about a jumpy focus on a new Leica in a long time either.

If I cherry-pick the most positive comments about the HD+, it sounds very nice indeed, as if the optics has about caught up with Zeiss and Swarovski. The Leica physical form is already excellent, mechanics is what it should be, and glare suppression already the best.

Oh and the red spot. Jupiter has one, quite a precedent huh.

I wish one of you hard-asses who doesn't even want one would review this thing. If you don't real fast, I might cave in and get one.

Ron

I don't watch BBC, but if Leica dropped their ridiculous price for the UV HD Plus so it was more in line with SLC or HT prices, I might consider buying one.

High North, in Germany the Ultravid is even a bit cheaper than the HT (1600.- vs 1635.-), and not so much more expensive than the SLC. And the Swarovision is 450.- below the SF...

High North, in Germany the Ultravid is even a bit cheaper than the HT (1600.- vs 1635.-), and not so much more expensive than the SLC. And the Swarovision is 450.- below the SF...

Here in Norway, the Leica Ultravid HD Plus in 7x42 or 8x42 costs EUR 2380, which is just about 60 EUR cheaper than the SF.

For a time, while shops were getting rid of old stocks, you could get the non-plus Ultravid HDs for around EUR 1800 though. This is about the same price as the HT, but still more expensive than a brand new SLC (EUR 1400).

Here in Norway, the Leica Ultravid HD Plus in 7x42 or 8x42 costs EUR 2380, which is just about 60 EUR cheaper than the SF.

For a time, while shops were getting rid of old stocks, you could get the non-plus Ultravid HDs for around EUR 1800 though. This is about the same price as the HT, but still more expensive than a brand new SLC (EUR 1400).

HN

Can you please stop wittering on about the price of binoculars and get back to that metre (not a yard) of beer? I'll take Spendrup's Old Gold for mine please B :)

Lee

Well, I find the Zeiss SF irresistable, so I guess the "Leica magic" doesn't work on me! ;)

You need to order Leica's subliminal advertising CD. It's free and available in 48 languages including Norwegian although I'm not sure if that's in bokmål or nynorsk.

You place the CD in your player, set for "Repeat," and put the speaker under your pillow or wrap earphones around your head so they won't fall off during the night, and then let the "magic" begin...

Jeg liker Leica...Jeg liker Leica...Jeg liker Leica...Jeg liker Leica...Jeg liker Leica...Jeg liker Leica...Jeg liker Leica...Jeg liker Leica...Jeg liker Leica...Jeg liker Leica...Jeg liker Leica...

In 3 to 5 days, depending on your suggestibility (if you can be hypnotized, less than 3 days), you will look at your SF and say, "What was I thinking buying this monster!" and order and the much more compact Leica Ultravid HD Plus.

Your eyes are getting heavy, you can hardly keep them open....Jeg liker Leica...Jeg liker Leica...Jeg liker Leica...

<B>

Zeiss website shows 8 degrees. This doesn't much the 444 feet @ 1000 yard which translates to 148m at 1000m as you correctly mentioned. So, the error, if any, is theirs.

BTW, my beautiful Leica 10X50 BA are waiting for a new caring owner on eBay so if you want a true classic, you still have a chance. The auction ends Sunday.

Cheers and Happy Friday everybody B :)

Who convinced you I would be a caring owner?? Don't you know I have already broken one of the new Zeiss Victory SFs? ;)

You need to order Leica's subliminal advertising CD.

You place the CD in your player, set for "Repeat," and put the speaker under your pillow or wrap earphones around your head so they won't fall off during the night, and then let the "magic" begin...

<B>

WOW! I already do this! o:)

I was able to sell my Sleep Machine!!!!

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back