• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

When a new Leica binocular? (1 Viewer)

AlbertoJ

Ultravid HD+ is the latest alpha Leica binocular. It competes directly with Swarovski SLC HD and Zeiss HT, but Leica hasn't any binocular like Swarovision and Zeiss SF.

I'd like the new Leica would be:
-Ultravid build quality, magnesium and rubber.
-Open hinge design.
-Size as much like Swarovision.
-Focuser located like Zeiss SF.
-Flat field optical design, with a few edge distorsion and Minimal rolling ball efect, like Zeiss SF or even less (Sharp 75% of field).
-Field of view like Zeiss SF.
-Sharpness, contrast and colours at least like Ultravid HD + or Swarovision.
-Glare and flare control like Zeiss SF or the best Ultravids.
-CA control like Zeiss SF or Swarovision.

Last edited:
Alberto:

Leica has just released their newest offering. Don't expect anything different anytime soon.

You just mentioned your preferences, they are available right now.

Enjoy your optics search.

Jerry

Ultravid HD+ is the latest alpha Leica binocular. It competes directly with Swarovski SLC HD and Zeiss HT, but Leica hasn't any binocular like Swarovision and Zeiss SF.

They don't, but why should they? They've got a range that offers some unique features, like very high optical quality in a small body with a well-proven focuser. Plus they're lighter than either of these brands.

That makes them different from the Swarovisions and the Zeiss SF which is a good thing IMO. Not everyone likes the size of the Swarovisions and especially the Zeiss. And not everyone likes an open hinge design. Or a flat field.

Hermann

Last edited:

I'd like the new Leica would be:
-Ultravid build quality, magnesium and rubber.
-Open hinge design.
-Size as much like Swarovision.
-Focuser located like Zeiss SF.
-Flat field optical design, with a few edge distorsion and Minimal rolling ball efect, like Zeiss SF or even less (Sharp 75% of field).
-Field of view like Zeiss SF.
-Sharpness, contrast and colours at least like Ultravid HD +.
-Glare and flare control like Zeiss SF or the best Ultravids.
-CA control like Zeiss SF or Swarovision.

Ultravid hd plus competes with swarovision and zeiss sf . Not slc and ht .

Does Ultravid compete with SLC and HT or with EL and SF?
Does Leica need to compete with EL and SF?

My take on these questions is that Leica's optical quality is as good as anybody's. There are definitely optical differences between all of the alphas and Leica has its own combination of characteristics that prove irresistable to some but not to others. Its the same with all the alphas.

But commercially speaking (and how else are the alpha companies supposed to speak) and looking from what I imagine the average birder's point of view to be (I don't claim to actually know this for a fact) Leica's Ultravid looks like a classic, and to some, old-fashioned, instrument. Perhaps I should say 'traditional' except that for many of today's birders the traditional instrument is Swarovski's EL with its open hinge design. To compete for the spending money of both classic-instrument enthusiasts and the new wave of birders who have seen open hinge instruments rule the roost for many years now, a brand really needs to have both classic and open hinge models in the catalogue, or something entirely new that will blow both of these out of the water.

Swaro and Zeiss offer both styles and for the moment Leica offers only one and I think that Leica is at a commercial disadvantage.

Lee

Last edited:
They don't, but why should they? They've got a range that offers some unique features, like very high optical quality in a small body with a well-proven focuser. Plus they're lighter than either of these brands.

That makes them different from the Swarovisions and the Zeiss SF which is a good thing IMO. Not everyone likes the size of the Swarovisions and especially the Zeiss. And not everyone likes an open hinge design. Or a flat field.

Hermann

Well said. Some of the OP's specifications takes away the very design elements that make the Leica a distinctive and ultimately distinguished choice in the market.

I preffer Ultravid HD+ to SLC and HT optics and build quality, but it hasn't open hinge nor flat field design.

I preffer edge distorsion to rolling ball effect, but a medium between them is what I mean, 75% of field sharpness, instead 50% like Not flat field design, nor 95% like some Swarovisions.

I preffer open hinge because I'm able to hold with one hand (and even with 2 hands) steadier and with less saking Swarovision 8.5x42 than my Zeiss FL 7x42.

Last edited:
To compete for the spending money of both classic-instrument enthusiasts and the new wave of birders who have seen open hinge instruments rule the roost for many years now, a brand really needs to have both classic and open hinge models in the catalogue, or something entirely new that will blow both of these out of the water.

Swaro and Zeiss offer both styles and for the moment Leica offers only one and I think that Leica is at a commercial disadvantage.

Lee

This is exactly what I mean, that Leica could have 2 alpha binoculars like Zeiss and Swarovski: 2 kind of hinge and optic design.

For me, the binoculars more I like now are Ultravid HD+, Swarovision and Zeiss SF.
So, I think Leica can make the best nature binocular whit a mixed of the best of these 3, like I write in my 1 post.

Last edited:
sounds like you want a Zeiss..... with Leica badges......

No, I like:
-Leica build quality and badges.
-Swarovision body shape (except focuser, located like Zeiss SF).
-Leica or Swarovision optics(sharpness, contrast, colours). And mixed Leica and Swarovision distorsion and rolling ball effect.
-Zeiss field of view.

So, I think Leica can make the best nature binocular whit a mixed of the best of these 3, like I write in my 1 post.

Theoretically that would be true for any manufacturer. Problem is, as Hermann points out so well, getting full agreement about what alpha bin features are best will prove elusive at the current state of the technology.

Last edited:
A flat field leads to the rolling ball effect. A second hinge limits the position the binocular can be held to one. That's bad when looking for moving birds, and the binocular is being lifted over and over. A flat field is good when the object you're looking at isn't moving, big game say. An open hinge makes it easy to hold the binocular with one hand, which is good if you're using the other hand to hold a gun. It's hard to say which design is better unless you know what the binocular is being used for.

When the new Plus version of the UVid was announced I was excited and
relieved they didn't discontinue the UV line. i prefer the design,
build and mechanics of the Ultravid over all of the others. It's just too well done and
classic to replace it with something like a new open bridge model. Leica did the right thing
IMO by staying true and not copying the others. For me, Leica has elevated their reputation by
sticking with their top quality flagship binocular and only updating the optics. I think they did right by their loyal customers.

Here's what I don't want to see Leica do going forward:

Produce a Chinese manufactured clone. There are plenty of these on the market already to choose from ...plenty... and I'm not
knocking them, as I own a little Chinese porro which I like.

Produce an open bridge copy to compete with SV and SF. These are two good ones right there to choose from.
I'd prefer Leica to stay unique personally.

My fav bin of all Zeiss I ever tried is the FL 8x32...sad to see that one go. I'd rather they updated the FL with a slightly different look and tweak optics/update glass...stick with a classic.

Last edited:
A flat field leads to the rolling ball effect. A second hinge limits the position the binocular can be held to one. That's bad when looking for moving birds, and the binocular is being lifted over and over. A flat field is good when the object you're looking at isn't moving, big game say. An open hinge makes it easy to hold the binocular with one hand, which is good if you're using the other hand to hold a gun. It's hard to say which design is better unless you know what the binocular is being used for.

Hi CF

A second bridge limits the postion the bins can be held to one??
Bit of an exageration surely? I have SFs and HTs and although I love the hand positions that Zeiss designed into these you can move your hands all over them into almost any weird grip you like. Sometimes for example I have a grip on one barrel and the other barrel resting on the finger-tips of the other hand.

BTW your references to big game and holding guns may tempt the moderators out so maybe we should have birds and sandwiches instead :t:

Lee

How so? The UV HD is a classic design, with pincushion distortion, just like the SLC and the HT. All are super sharp, have great contrast and brightness with gradual edge softness. The SLC has the wider sweet-spot, the Zeiss is brighter, the UV may have more saturated colours.

Someone looking for such a design would not look at an SV or and SF. Conversely, someone looking for a flat and wide field would not look at an UV.

Some people like to push the notion that both the SLC and the HT are optically lesser than their kin, when many of us - especially those that don't want a flat-field - find them superior in many ways.

Hi CF

A second bridge limits the postion the bins can be held to one??
Bit of an exageration surely? I have SFs and HTs and although I love the hand positions that Zeiss designed into these you can move your hands all over them into almost any weird grip you like. Sometimes for example I have a grip on one barrel and the other barrel resting on the finger-tips of the other hand.

BTW your references to big game and holding guns may tempt the moderators out so maybe we should have birds and sandwiches instead :t:

Lee

Contrary to urban legend I have no difficulty using an SLC with one hand. The problem is holding the sandwich together, particularly when I'm standing.

Ed :eat:

competing with the SV and SF they already do, as they are in the same price range.
don't see much point in Leica copying the open bridge design,
they are already excellent bins in a compact and light package,
and they look more stylish than both SV and SF,
which is not unimportant for some people.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back